Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
I don't know if I'd place FFIX at the top of the list, but I'd definitely put it in the top 3. (Probably 3rd) The game is mildly challenging at points, but easily broken over the knee, as they should be. Every character feels useful, and has their own way to destroy things. The music is of course great, the graphics at the time were amazing.

Weak points are, as other have mentioned, the poor strategy guide, card game (thankfully not forced on you!) and probably one particular bit in the game where the story slows to a halt. It involves a forced airship ride.

I'll be watching this. :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
To everyone who thinks any character you've seen so far is the best: You're dead wrong. We haven't met him her it yet. Soon though. Soon. (If Mega shows it)

E: He already passed it. :(

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 8, 2015

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

SorataYuy posted:

If it's the character I think you meant, no he didn't. You can only first meet said character when running around as Steiner in the castle, looking for the rest of the knights.

:dance: For some reason I thought you had to visit the kitchen as Zidane, forgot it was as Steiner.

KataraniSword posted:

FFIX is a game that is vastly wrecked by only allowing 4 party members into your team at any time... and several of them are sort of dependent on other party members being around to work to their fullest.

This is completely wrong. Every character has a way of doing maximum damage all on their own. (While 3 people have to build this with special mechanical systems, only 1 is really obtuse) While Steiner does it with less MP cost with somebody else in the party, he can still do it on his own easily at the end of the game. Also, no matter which 4 party members you have, you always have a sustainable team. There is no combination of 4 characters that won't give you some way of healing your party without items. Every character is worth using, and brings interesting abilities to the party.

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 9, 2015

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
If I remember correctly, another reason the fight is further simplified is that if you make the Sea Lion use Tsunami early, the Tsunami damages the Waltz as well as you. Free damage!

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Squalitude posted:

It's like a sitcom where someone has to come up with a fake name on the spot and makes their choice based on the first thing they see, except it's being played straight here. Although it's a shame there's also a character limit so we can't go with "Gal Incognito".

Stiletto would be a better name, if it fit.

You can also reference other Final Fantasy games and give her a mighty pedigree: Butz

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
I think the "God help me" line is just a localization blip.

There will also be a frequently not visited church in a future town, also another town kind of revolves around their belief, and one of the last towns in the game has the ruins of a temple.

It honestly looks like each major civilization has their own completely different religions.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Only times I've really used add status in this game was for cheesing one bonus fight (technically not even using add status itself, but another ability by Zidane), and the REAL best character in the games 2nd weapon is pretty useful to use add status with just to shorten encounters randomly (Needle Fork).

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Isn't that because insta killing via stone only causes the enemy to yield AP? I remember using Soft on stoney enemies not awarding XP later on in the game. I could be wrong though.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
That's what makes me so sad to play FFXIV. It's a great game. I love it. But sooooo much of the player base is what I can only call "perfect target audience". They'll harp on and on about how FFXI (one of the worst mmos of all time) was great, what with its pathetic player base and its insanely bad design. While any game will have something good about it, I'm not sure anyone can legitimately claim FFXI was a "good" game unless you are specifically into masochism.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
About a certain minigame/ability grind: The secret is to leave one of each sex frog in the pond. If you do, they repopulate faster. Clearing each available pond after each dungeon is easy to get you to 99 in disc 3.

Also, I think that this games Blue magic is the most balanced of any other Final Fantasy. Usually it is either completely broken, or marginal at best. The spells here have niches and uses. Nothing is blatantly overpowered.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
FFVIII actually had the first damage limit breaking attack. Well, two of them. :eng101:(In single damage dealing instances, that is)

e: Redacted due to wrongness.

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 29, 2015

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
They're in the game. When you don't press buttons on the Start/Continue main screen, images of the characters/phases/virtues are displayed. Kind of gives away who will eventually be playable in the main party, in hindsight.

E: Here they are in a single picture I found on Google. Spoilering because it includes unmet party members.

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 29, 2015

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
It's also what you end up looking like after working the fields in Dali. No wonder they jumped at the chance to change their vocations.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

FinalGamer posted:

Sweet! Also it's not Wayne and Torres being referenced from Parasite Eve, but they even have a similar argument over superior weaponry except for in Eve it was guns of course.

I had an inkling on what you were doing with all those Wrists, I never thought of that idea before! That's BRILLIANT! I think for most people that Lindblum is one of their fave places to be in the game just because it has always such life in it.

Yeah, I knew about this trick, but I never thought of applying it so early in the game. I have only done it much later when world travel gets unlocked.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
About the wrists: Game makers goofed the pricing of an item. You can buy wrists + another component, synth a robe out of them, and sell the result for more gil than the components/synth costs. Infinite gil.

E: ^^^^Misread that. Thought you were asking if they were necessary, as in asking what they were for. But I guess nobody has really stated what they were for yet, unless I just missed it.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Money never really got tight for me. Probably because I use the best character in the game that gets me double gil for all encounters. Plus copious amounts of a certain minigame. I've never had to sell off my precious pinions.

Not knocking the Lvl 1 run though. I can see where money could be a problem there.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Gnoman posted:

Another example - X-2 opens with Yuna disguised in a moogle suit, and it's the costume for her Mascot dressphere.

Was going to post this. Have a picture! Pictured left to right: Paine, Yuna, Rikku.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Have the Moombas been featured in any other game than 8? Pupu too. Weird that they had staying power despite only being in 1 game, while other references have carried over from several games.

E: Looked it up. Yup, FF8 only.

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 10, 2015

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
I don't mind all the super techno evil, as long as they're shown as competent. Playing a game like FFXIV really annoys me when the super evil, magitek using, empire is repeatedly brought low by dudes using bows/arrows/swords. They have bullets, giant mechs, space ships and GIANT SKYSCRAPER sized gently caress off super ships. But they still can't beat the medieval tech good guys.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

mauman posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any rpgs (or hell, games in general) where the hippy/back-to-nature faction are the bad guys and the techno-guys are the good guys?

Cuz that would be awesome :allears:

It'd be most any game that has a rebel faction turn out to be evil after they win/you help them win. Typically they're not super back-to-nature, but the archetype would remain similar. Starcraft Sons of Korhal, the Engwithians in Pillars of Eternity are generally hostile to you and they're total hippie grassroots guys. They aren't "evil" but the entire game is about exploring grey areas and how everybody is a dick.

Hrmmm.... Irvine in Wild Arms 2 created the evil organization that he had to then create a grass roots mercenary gang to defeat?

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I used to be super anal about trying to steal / draw / grind everything in every FF until I realized that I had significantly more fun and was much more likely to actually finish the game if I didn't do all that poo poo and just went with what I stumbled across plus reasonable side quests. If I get an itch to replay something that's when I go for more of the secrets. So much more enjoyable.

Only system that makes me angry enough to not play through the game again is FF8. Why attach stats to drawn magic? It makes me want to never, ever use magic because my stats will then go down and I'll have to re-draw it all over again. Rest of it I can either ignore or grind at my leisure.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
All I ever see when people complain about Quina's blue magic: :qq: It doesn't break the game in half like the other ones. :qq:

None of the characters have good skillsets. One or two abilities are nice, I wouldn't qualify any (outside of ones that do automatic max damage or something) as "great". The rest of the game lies in equipment and passives, as the level 1 run will show.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

CmdrKing posted:

Although it's worth noting that of the six characters we have, five can smack the damage cap with relative ease by the end of the game.

Every character does, if you farm your frogs and keep stealing. Then again, some of the others require side questing to do. The problem is that all of their other abilities are useless. You'll spend 95% of this game doing the mini game auto attacking. Then at the end you switch over to the attacks that you've built to which will be basically free at that point.

I love the game of course, but the passive abilities far overshadow any actual in battle ability by a wide margin. It's why they don't do it anymore.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
To put the debate to rest: Zidane's Protect Girls ability does not include Quina. :eng101:

Male or genderless can be argued, but I believe Zidane is able to reason if its a woman or not.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Actually Quina can equip some, but not all. Just to make things weirder.

Can't s/he equip the girl only trinkets, but not the armor? I thought it was because s/he just couldn't equip it because s/he can only equip robes, not the gender thing. If I remember correctly, the girl only armor is not a robe and therefore unique to other armors the girls in the game can wear.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

No, that's a bad English TV show. They're talking about Dr. Toot.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Reading these posts makes me feel good. I must be a Hot'n'Cold god or something because I don't have any of those problems. Running out the time without finding a single item? Maybe if you were 7 years old at the time. You can cover the vast majority of the field with wide checking in about 10 seconds.

Mega64 posted:

The game immediately ends if you hit eight items though (not that I've ever managed to get eight).
:catstare:

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Chocobo treasure mini spoiler: There are treasures to be found that, while not using the chocographs specifically, do require Choco with another item.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If you head into the bedroom afterwards, you'll find him locked in the closet and begging to be let out.

Oh Steiner, you goof.

Reminds me of Wakka. Shame we don't have Steiner interact with Freya much to glean that information, though.

I think its because Wakka was a bigot while Steiner is not. He never hates on anyone that isn't trying to actively do him harm or his charges.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Another minor thing to note: You were attacking the black mages/clowns from the rear of their positions. Alexandria had already taken over the area and Zorn/Thorn were charged with keeping Burmecians from reaching Lindblum. Obviously they'd already failed this task, but I think its cool that theres 1. A reason the boss is at the end. 2. A reason the black mages are in the area at all (the game doesn't explain it, and from looking at the map it doesn't make obvious sense)

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Kemix posted:

Are we -ever- glad Squeenix basically tossed the idea in the furnace after that.

The PlayOnline guides went to FFX as well. :eng101: But it was scrapped not long after X was released iirc.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
In my first play of the game I learned very quickly that no matter how auto-potion looks to keep your team healthy, its not worth the time of your life its going to destroy.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'd believe it.

Though, now that I think about it, didn't Grandma Pickle say that she was having a hard time selling her pickles? Even if they only bought them for a ruse, Garnet and Steiner probably helped her a lot. :3:

Not only does she say that they aren't selling, but (I'm pretty sure he showed this off) if you visit before Zidane and co. leave Lindblum she mentions that they've all been bought out!

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Probably the most :wtc: of Final Fantasy villainous garb.

E: You have to sign in to mooch off of imgur now? What's going on in the world today?

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 22, 2015

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

But then who would she murder that's completely and utterly disposable otherwise if you, like me the first time through, never bothered to get Quina here? Because they're entirely optional at this point. There's absolutely no reason to enter the marsh other than to get Quina and if you don't know they even exist that's not going to happen.

I would have and would still fully endorse if the games design forced you to get Quina, had Beatrix kill Quina in Burmecia, and then have Quina show up again later in the game when the game does force you to recruit her. Have Zidane and the team internally freak out a bit, but have Quina be completely oblivious to any previous actions.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
"We used to be lucky if we got three shades of gray, let alone any real colors!"

"We used to play for hours on a single screen game and think we were lucky, and we were!"

"3 lives and 3 continues, that's all we had!"

"Look!...look at this!...as I rock, my beard swings! Waste of frames in my opinion!"

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Or the fact that South Gate seems manned by Lindblum soldiers exclusively. The Alexandria side of South Gate has 0 soldiers or guards outside of 1 po-dunk gate which could just be walked around. The "friendship gate" is clearly just a Lindblum outpost to guard from attacks.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
I'd have to look it up, but there are 12 Knights of Pluto (13 with Steiner).

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
I think it came about because very few monarchies in general were "typical". The deal of succession is different in every monarchy and the rules changed with every succession because of political intrigue and murder and plot and all that. It's never been cut and dry and anyone with the will to kill could usurp and make up new rules as to why they were legitimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's nine:

That's where the "of Pluto" comes in; (formally) ninth planet, nine men, ninth FF :v:
The tenth one you interact with is Blank in disguise.

Thanks, for some reason I thought there were more. I swear in my last play through a certain thing had more options to it than 4.

• Locked thread