Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There are a ton of things I love about IX. A ton. But man, I think most of it stems from that loving title song. It just sucks me right in, every single time. I don't think I'll ever forget "The Place I'll Return to Someday" for as long as I live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw4wyNiQa6I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ilyich posted:

Mogster is the best Tutorial system.

I love Qu's Marsh music.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Steiner is Michael Dorn. Worf 4 life.:getin:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ManSedan posted:

So who does Gilbert Gottfried voice?

Either another mage character we meet later or Cinna.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Stealing everything is fine, but do not pick up this game with that mentality if you're coming off a similar run of FFT. Stealing Genji stuff and other special equips just wasn't worth it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SonicRulez posted:

What. Tidus is along for the ride in Yuna's story. Everything that happens is because of her. She listens to Auron and Lulu sure, but the climax of the game comes when she makes a decision on what to do with Sin. She also took matters into her own hands regarding Gyscal and Seymour. You don't have to be Lightning to be a female character with agency.

The difference between Yuna and Dagger is that Dagger has no intention of being pushed around from the very start. Yuna takes a dungeon or two before she takes command.

Both of them have no problem sticking up for themselves. Yuna quickly realized something was up with Seymour and Dagger refuses to let Steiner drag her back. Yuna just starts her game off a little complacent. Not that you can really judge; the first steps of a journey towards ritual suicide have got to be a little shaky.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dr. Tot is the most important unimportant dude in FFIX if you think about it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Beatrix and Steiner are the sword and shield of Alexandria, respectively.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am okay with 99% of your decision EXCEPT it means we never met Dr. Tot and that's just a killer.:smith:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mikl posted:

I'm ready to remember Doctor Tot.

:same:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:siren:Fun, dumb Final Fantasy Trivia:siren:: Atomos makes an important appearance in the FF11 expansion "Wings of the Goddess," where he's essentially like a dimensional garbage disposal. All the alternative timelines that don't belong in the world, deemed unworthy or what have you, are devoured by it. No malevolence, just a force of nature doing its thing. Naturally, the story of the "Wings of the Goddess" expansion has you trying to prevent your world from being eaten by Atomos after dimensional shenanigans occur in an alternative, evil timeline (complete with evil player character).

Atomos has two forms. one usable by summoners:

And this is his "hello I am at the center of time itself just eating things" form:

In both cases, Atomos is ultimately forgettable as there's usually something cooler and scarier in your face trying to kill you half the time.:shrug:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Zidane is Lupin III and Steiner is Zenigata, which is a really roundabout way of explaining why they're both the best forever.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
How long do you think they'll spend on Namek?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
*looks at one folder*

:raise:

*loooks at another*

Hmmmmm, I'm just not seeing it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
FFIX's also lacking in a decent second in command. I love Vivi, I love Steiner, but neither can compare to temp leader FF7 Cid.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Eiko doesn't scream enough about goddamned tea. It's just...not the same.:colbert:

But this LP has given me a chance to enjoy Eiko, an opportunity that 13 year old me never seemed interested in. As far as I was concerned at the time, the additional party members ended at Quina, and everyone after that wasn't worth using.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I always thought spilling mist back onto the word was a double edged sword. Yea, it scares the crap out of everyone, but the entire world was built on mist tech. Why would you give the world its mist tech back?

This would be more of a sticking point if pretty much every major city hadn't been leveled before we took a trip to Terra. I can't imagine any of the kingdoms have much remaining in the way of fortifications.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If it was Absolute Virtue, there was always a legit way to beat him but Square-Enix got way too cute with the "hint" they supplied people. Long story short, the monster had access to all of the known "2 hour" abilities; these were abilities players could use once every two hours typically to bail their asses out of a jam. Absolute Virtue could use them all, and would do so as often as it saw fit, unless players activated their ability right after he used his, locking it out for the rest of the fight. Square-Enix's "hint" on how to beat AV was just a sub-par quality video of a successful fight against it, and anyone hoping to figure out the secret would have had to scour through walls of battle text and then piece it all together on their own. The FFXI community, if I remember correctly, stuck to cheesing the dude instead.

Nowadays, AV can still be tough if you go in unprepared, but player levels have increased so dramatically since those days that you'd have to go in completely blind to get demolished still.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ark rules.

The pseudo-prelude theme rules.

FFIX rules.

There's a light at the end of the tunnel, M64. You're almost there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I mean, the level one run probably doesn't get much easier from here on out,

but still dude that's nuts. Kudos on the successful insanity.

• Locked thread