Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Simply Simon posted:

I could have sworn someone (probably Orange Fluffy Sheep) did a Level 1 challenge run in the last LP thread, but it didn't seem to get archived on a casual glance.

I'm doing it again fyi. Or at least trying.

If Mega64 is okay with me posting about a dumb challenge run in one of his FF threads again, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mega64 posted:

This guy runs around enough that it's a pain to catch and talk to him.

Nor is he very helpful.

Dojebon is indeed a fucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpgMOv-Vkz

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AweStriker posted:

An error occurred during validation. This video does not exist.

What?

Like, really, what? I watched it after I uploaded it to make sure it didn't break. Then I went to check it in the video manager and it seems fine?

I don't even know sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpgMOv-VkzI

I clicked that link to make it sure it worked and it does for now maybe?

I have no idea.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

This is the story of a youth scared shitless of self-improvement. He sought every available means to circumvent having life experiences and faced any hardship as long as he never grew from them.

This is the story of playing FF9 at level 1.

Bosses in FFIX do not give experience points. It is only random encounters and certain forced battles that do. Until the end of disc 3 it is possible to duck out of gaining levels and even then, 3 of the 8 party members can be used to soak that up and let the rest do the work. The end result is every boss battle will be fought with level 1 characters. The strains of never gaining levels quickly becomes apparent as not only is the party very fragile due to their tiny HP totals, but they have trouble with innocuous things due to tiny Spirit stats.

But all in due time.

Maybe this is a more accurate romanization of his Japanese name? I don't know really, I'm just renaming these guys.

This Mage Masher is incredibly valuable because it's quite a while until the next one. 12 to 14 attack may not seem like much, but consider that the damage formula in this game uses attack-defense, and that most enemies have exactly 10 defense. It goes from 2 to 4, a doubling.

Attack is the biggest factor in making people who don't agree with you politicially no longer alive, so don't be shocked at normal people numbers when they start appearing.

Anyway Tantalus infiltrates the castle on their secret mission: this lady keeps posting about fat acceptance on facebook and we want her to stop but we don't want to block her 'cause it'd be real awkward to explain why to her.

I'm pretty sure that putting the battle speed to plaid will make my life harder, but whatev's. I'm keeping the gray color scheme to make my screenshots unique from Mega64's, besides the level 1 thing and silly name things I need something to keep my identity.

You can't dodge Puck. He will go out of his way to collide with you.

Oh boy our first card!

Not omnidirectional. Reset.

Just kidding. While we'll want a good set of cards by early disc 3 to win the Battle City Tournament, these early things are all but irrelevant to that goal.

A lot of your cards come from random encounters. This'll be tricky.

When it comes to random poo poo, I'll post it if it's notable in some way to this challenge. Otherwise, roll a 1d10. On 2-10 assume that I got it and that I am smart and handsome and good at video games. On a 1 assume I missed it like a clod.

Important to level 1 games are stores, because a lot of your cash normally comes from random encounters.

So instead I'll be selling phoenix pinions, until suddenly they become the most valuable things in the universe and it becomes imperative that I get 99.

Yep.

Rats.

If you can do this then it might be worth it for the cards but still.

Spec Ops: The Line wasn't the first video game to examine the nature of progress requiring the player to inflict tragedy.

That was Plumbers Don't Wear Ties.

According to Ultimania or somesuch Vivi got his fake ticket from a moogle wearing a hat. Stiltzkin is the only Moogle I know like that.

The fucker.

I'll be making a ton of saves because I am paranoid of screwing things up. As long as you don't miss big things it should be fine if you miss an ether here or there.

I don't think there are birds in ff9 as these nests contain money and not birds.

pakalupapito is a great twitter account. Maybe I'll rename someone Wint.

This lady is totally thinking "ew, poors".

AND THAT'S WHEN THE OXYCOTON KICKED IN

CAST MEDEO AT ALL TIMES

So the swordfight. I am bad at it. I have the reflexes of a sloth.

Okay so maybe I can do a little better...

Eh it'll do. If you can get 100 then do it then realize level 1 games are pains in the asses and just do a normal playthrough with your 10k extra gil and eat extravagantly.

It looks like cold porridge for me instead!

:geno:

I was told to call him this because his armor looks like tin and he looks like Hank Hill.

Killer abilities increase regular attack damage by 50% and don't stack if the enemy has more than one category. Still useful as it turns 2 attacks into the damage of 3, and when most of the team's turns are spent on damage control I need boosts to whatever damage I can sneak in.

Lady why are you handing me clothing are you feeling okay?

Anyway finding all the knights is important regardless of level.

This is the better option than the one Mega64 took, even if he runs off crying anyway.

Elixirs are very valuable and I'll actually use them, breaking all conventions of JRPG playing.

Ruby's personality is so forceful she'll make Zidane jump off the stairs so she can block Zidane from the stairs.

This isn't the same shirt I just got from Brahne. She gave Tinhank a shirt he already had.

CAST MEDEO

AT ALL TIMES

Anyway, this is just the preamble. Nothing in the intro actually gives experience points. Besides selling the Pinion none of this is particularly odd. Next update is when avoiding levels actually means weird things happen.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I have no idea why it's that low when even Final Fantasy VI gave you one with 70,000.

Everything in FF6 is stuck at 65535 cap, too, though the highest value you ever chop through is Doom at 63,000. Nothing in FF4 or 5 break 65535 either, though Zeromus fakes it by sneakily restoring his HP to full if it falls between 16k and 12k.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ultrafilter posted:

Does Magic Sword have status effects like the Mystic Knight's ability, or is it just damage?

Sword Magic doesn't get Vivi's status spells, and Bio Sword is bugged to never poison.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Steiner, a thief with the theater troupe Steiner, conspires with his allies Steiner, Steiner, Steiner, and Steiner to kidnap Princess Steiner. Meanwhile, a young black mage named Steiner collides with a rat kid named Steiner and the two work together to sneak into the castle to see the play, I Want To Be Your Steiner.

FFIX definitive edition.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CHAPTER TWO: THEY REVOCER TEH PRENCESS BUT THEY DON'T

Gitan Tribble was running in his was running forested.

Gitan's auto-trance is BEGGING us to Dyne away this fucker so LET'S FUCKIN DYNE THIS poo poo

HELL

YES

That's the polite way of saying that I destoryed her body into a million scattered molecules.

Free Energy and Tidal Flame have the same damage multiplier, actaully, just that Tidal Flame hits all and Free Energy hits one.

This Prison Cage has 49 speed, perhaps as a polite way of saying DYNE THE BASTARD TO HELL!

Then another one snags Vivi.

Unlike prison cage #1, this one has material posessions. To steal. The Leather Wrist is handyish if you want to pretend the evade is helping. Prison Cage #2 also has far less speed at 29, so it's closer to the party.

Bosses in FFIX give no experience points, and the AP is small enough and equipment stats so important that the crew's not going to be mastering many abilities.

Spirit is a major stat for the application of crime, increase and duration of the trance gauge, critical hits, the frequency poison and regen fire off, and for how long status effects last. Part of being level 1 is getting mad at how unspirited the crew is. If you called a spirit squad, Gitan and pals would not arrive. Going from 23 to 24 barely affects steal chances but oh god please let me live the lie I want to believe I'm actually doing something helpful here.

Actually every stat matters and the lack of each hurts in their own unique ways, really. It's more than just not having HP, it's that your characters aren't very good at what they do.

Who keeps a fairly hefty sum like this under their pillow like this?

Next in mandatory scuffles is Baku.

Gitan is in the back row; he scooted one foot to the back. This makes Baku's sword sever his tendons at half efficiency.

Either way the plan is to steal Baku's spare sword and then scoot one foot foward and win the damage race, which is easy to do when Baku's not very dangerous under any constraints.

Baku's weak to fire. Gitan cannot deal elemental damage, like, ever.

You see this chest like 3 times - the cutscene of him being locked in, the ATE, and then when you pick up Tinhank - before finally being allowed to open it.

I'm actually trying to get my funds as big as possible as soon as possible, so I can shift from "pinions are your primary sorce of gil" to "pinions are irreplacable and you need 99" as quickly as I can. If I had gotten 100 nobles then I'd have passed the threshold already, but such is life.

Tinhank won't be learning Beast Killer this way, but that's okay, he'll never physically attack a Beast at any point anyway.

I do however need maddeningly fat stacks of potions. I probably could sell the hi-potions for a few more bucks. Tinhank's 120 HP is the highest in the game, and only with HP+10% and 20% will he be breaking 150. I have much much better things to do with 12 of his 17 magic stones anyway.

I'm also keeping a ton of saves. I think I had two when I tried it on-console and got along fine. Just don't alternate with every save, alternate with major milestones like clearing the opening, getting out of Evil Forest, etc.

Gitan's job is to Flee. I'd like to steal things, since I'll need to have a cumulative 834 steals eventually, but for now we need to get out of places at speeds that can be described as high, and return to stealing when we have better skills for stealing and better targets than Fangs and Goblins.

Nothing eventful happens until Plant Brain.

I forget what I'm doing and steal from it. What Gitan should be comitting suicide to get Blank to appear ASAP so we have one more body in the fight.

Tinhank's Fire Sword deals mondo damage. Fire Sword (and Blizzard and Thunder) increases attack by five and is fire-elemental, so that 11 attack after defense is getting multiplied further.

Sword Magic's good, yo.

The Plant Brain's damage output is a lot scarier when you can't take two hits from it.

Besides Gitan's expiration, Blank will show up when Plant Brain is sufficiently bashed.

This is actually kind of pointless to grab. Tinhank will never get blinded again and Level Up is, um, this is a level 1 run.

Gitan gets murdered anyway by a tentacle lashing him for 1 less than his max HP.

And blank takes the KO. Doesn't matter that Gitan missed the 5 AP here, as all it'd do is make him master Flee faster.

And now, the first snag at level 1. Plant Brain isn't easy, but it is consistent and it doesn't give EXP.

No, the problem is you have to fight one group of Plant Spiders on your way out.

Specifically, the one that just walks in front of you here.

There are four spiders here. This attempt is a failure. Invariably someone has to gain a level.

Each spider gives 22 experience, you see.

You might be asking "why can't Blank just gain the levels here?" Well, character data is weird in this game. Blank uses a data slot that is overwritten by a later party member. But the game just doesn't up and replace Blank, no, it keeps his earned EXP, or something. Normally you wouldn't notice this as that party member's level is brought up to the average and but when the average is level one and then gets 66-88 EXP tossed in...

Let's just say letting Blank take the levels is a last resort if you just cannot handle resetting and fighting the plant brain again and again because the RNG is loving you.

There are three spiders here. This is also a failure. 66/4 is 16.5, drop the decimal and it's 16.

16 just happens to be the exact number of EXP needed to get to level 2.

gently caress.

So I try again.

By the way, Plant Spiders are the last enemy in the game that are level 1. Everything will have an edge over the party from now on, which matters for a few formulas.

And again.

Quite a few times, actually. I try things like wobbling my way down the path, or holding left when running into the spiders. FFIX's RNG advances automatically, or so I've gathered from reading up on its TAS, so the only thing I really do to influence it is take shorter or longer each time I run into spiders.

Eventually, I get exactly two spiders.

11 experience leaves the characters with five left to the next level.

This is one of the easier level-gains to dodge.

REGISTER OF RESETS:
One to Tidal Flame Garnet for the hell of it; Unknown number lost to plant spiders spawn numbers.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

sergeantz posted:

Zidane stole the gently caress out of that potion.

*Becomes a furry, steals drugs from food*

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

KataraniSword posted:

Final Fantasy IX: Hope You Like Spamming !Steal.

834 was not an exaggeration of the number of steals I need to do. It was actually rather precise.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mega64 posted:

I believe Regen can be gamed a bit with this game's long animations and ATB system, but I don't know the specifics right now.

No, that's the long and short of it. The later you get, your characters get more Spirit, so Regen fires off more, and while regular Regen lasts for Spirit*360 nonspecific ATB units, Auto-Regen just lasts forever and is always firing off during the game's long-rear end animations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dragonatrix posted:

You can also game it further by just opening the disc tray, which IIRC makes it so no actions are taken but the ATB gauge still ticks so you can easily get a full heal that way.

Maybe it's because I always played this on a PS2 but I never got that to work.

Auto-regen's broken enough already, sheesh.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

zfleeman posted:

Whoa, this is incredible. Why does it exist?!

It's a nice thing to have on a resume for a 3D modelling position.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The use of add status is mandatory in the dumbest way possible at level 1.

It'll be a loving treat.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CHAPTER THREE : "We have to not go in the ice cave because it is danger" and they went into the ice cave and Gitan got caught in a sealion and then he died

You don't get random encounters while the microsoft default font is on screen. Were I not an idiot I would run asap to Ice Cavern.

But 1) I really wanted to save after an unknowable number of attempts at getting two plant spiders.

The sum total of Garnet's contributions at level 1 is having full ATB while Gitan uses Flee.

2) I wanted to buy potions because somehow I figured 29 was not enough for one boss fight.

You can actually get here before the microsoft default font fades and random enconters start. Saves some time and effort.

The treasures range from potions to what will be liquidated into capital.

And a second mage masher. It's actually important that I have two and I don't want to spend money on it, what a peasant thing to do.

I'll need several elixirs because I need to use several elixirs. This in addition to being level 1 is also a weirdo sexual deviant run due to selling and using valuable consumables.

Well cya Garnet the rest of us are fleeing have fun with the goblinoid and deserts. Tinhank will write you.

Saving here is very important as the next boss, as you might imagine a solo fight against two enemies while at level 1 would be

, is hard.

Well first the Sealion's Blizzard shaves off a third of Gitan whenever it's used.

Black Waltz #1's Blizzard isn't as strong but it makes one round nearly half of Zidane that's gone.

In the middle of being killed, I need to find time to steal this valuable trinket. It doesn't matter too much because I can buy one before it matters, but I need to obtain more assets in any way possible.

Also it and the Ether are two more steals to the 834 total.

Wing is a breather while Gitan has 7 defense and is in the back row.

Keeping Gitan's HP topped off is of paramount import. Hence why I wanted so many potions.

Fire hurts while the Silk Shirt is equipped but as you can see by Dyne here the first phase of this fight is over.

The important thing at level 1 is to not use Tidal Flame.

The Black Waltz needs to die as Fire adds a bit too much damage and he can heal the Sealion. We can't Tidal Flame because that would set the Sealion to Tsunami range and that would nigh invariably kill Gitan. The lowest damage round from the baddies, Wing and Blizzard, would still leave him at low enough HP that Tsunami would be fatal.

So instead I need to waste this Trance.

Then shank the bastard three times for around 120 damage. This will get his HP low enough that another Dyne would slay him, but it keeps him at blue so he never uses Blizzara or Tsunami.

After that it's a matter of waiting for the trance gauge to fill and using potions when Gitan gets below 40 HP. This is also the time to steal if one doesn't have the Ether and Mythril Dagger yet.

And when Gitan finally Trances a second time, it's bye bye sealion.

Sun Wukong: 1 Blacks: 0 :twisted:

Bandit is very important as it bypasses the level+spirit check. Gitan is never going to get further than, like, 29 on that check, and that's if I equip him dumbly.

...did I actually equip the loving thing christ am I that much of an idiot

So, regular running. It sucks.

The result is then compared to a random number from 0 to 99. If the number's lower, they gtfo.

Gitan and friends average 1. The Flans average 2. This gives running a 6% chance of success.

That is, when it actually checks, which is once a second when the flans aren't killing Gitan and friends.

Okay so my last save was before beating these guys so I have to do that process all over.

NO GODDAMMIT GITAN DON'T CRIT ON THE THIRD ATTACK gently caress!!

Well now that he's on yellow he's using Blizzara, which hits a fair bit harder than Blizzard.

Like, fatally.

Okay the third attempt goes just fine.

Well Garnet's useful for now when not everything is one-shotting the party and Cure heals more HP than anyone will ever have.

She mostly saves on potions when travelling.

And yes I kept the mage masher equipped this time.

"Except for the ones called Mage Mashers, what mash mages."

"Lol just kidding I was a KNIFE EXPERT all along nerd. Get bent loser."

Wait

What's this

Am I on acid

Well I suppose South Gate is an objective part of this universe.

So let's violently assault the floating circle that's named "True".

Yaaay I'm not a dumb dumb!

Believe it or not this actually lets me reach my funding goal without having to strip people nude.

Well, 1/1.

Thanks Ragtime Mouse.

You're a darling.

The front of his card is nigh impossible to see in normal gameplay. The text on it reads "Pop Quiz! FF10's theme is GUTS! True or false?"

REGISTER OF RESETS:
One to Tidal Flame Garnet for the hell of it; Unknown number lost to plant spiders spawn numbers; Died to Flans without Flee; Untimely crit pushed Sealion to fatally Blizzara.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
834 steals is not an arbitrary goal for the LLG, I'll just say that much.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TravelLog posted:

It really is a bit bullshit that enemy HP only goes up to ~65k, since it robs a lot of encounters of their difficulty. It is funny that the award for highest HP in the game at 65,535 belongs to Quale and the freaking friendly Yan.

The other things have fancy death animations that are technically spells. Otherwise the enemy just has a death rattle and fall over.

So while Dragon Mask goes down in like 180 damage, he really has 10,180 and casts the animation of the mask splitting and chiding the crew at less than 10k. BW #1 doesn't and has the normal fall-over and rattle.

That's why most bosses don't break 55,535. They have to be able to have fancy deaths.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ApplesandOranges posted:

9's the only game which has never been touched on in any way.

IIRC it's because they lost the source code.

At least that's what I've heard.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fister Roboto posted:

This is probably about 2 hours in if you're not grinding anything or jumping rope a thousand times.

An hour twenty if you're TASing. :v:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

This is on the disc, a thing that room never does!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CHAPTER FOUR: "Hold on," Kukri panicked. "We are driving right into a black waltz."

Dali is the first nonitem shop in the game. Naturally weird poo poo happens as a result.

My fortune, for those who care. This game has quite a few, for something a player checks once per playthrough.

My color's still the same as Mega64's, though.

For some reason "Makin' Crazy Money! Vol.2" mentions buying all the wrists...!?

So, out of Pinions, I sell Ethers. I can make those back later and don't use them much anyway.

Anyway, I buy all the wrists. Not immediately, but by the time I leave Dali I have 99.

With the shreds of money left, I get new hats and some gloves for Steiner (since I missed the pair in the Prima Vista).

Stellazio. Somehow I actually recall where they all are, though a few I forget the specific spot.

"This whole level 1 thing is actually a scheme for pity points."

Tetra Master is in-universe a mysterious game. This makes it really weird as the players do not know how the game works. Is it magical?

Anyway the second character is attack type. P targets the third value, M targets the fourth, X targets whichever is the smaller, and A does that but can target attack power too.

There are two big points, in early disc 2 and 3 respectively, where we'll get cards for the Battle City Tournament. Winning the Three Egyptian God Cards is somewhere between "literally mechanically" mandatory and ".002% chance you can survive without" mandatory.

A fair bit of the level one game is like that.

Not a whole lot else matters in Dali, so I move on.

Didn't need to steal this not-useful item from the Plant Brain after all.

I don't open the door since the Pinion isn't worth having encounters. Besides, one fewer Pinion is one more I have to steal as part of getting 834 cumulative.

I'm glad you get the bit with Morrid to equip Tinhank, so he can have his gloves on.

Because this boss happens really fast. By the way, Kukri has nothing but a Rod equipped.

Like the Plant Brain, the plan of action is Fire Swords.

Papito can't cast a thing without #2 countering rather painfully, so he and Kukri are on support.

Most of #2's attacks fall under barely surviable.

Except the Fira. I... left the Silk Shirt on Gitan.

Aaaaand teleport finishes Tinhank off. We're in deep poo poo.

A small part of the level 1 run is remembering tricks. The true test is the ability to respond to the deepest poo poo. It looked like an impending game over, but reviving Gitan meant I could get Tinhank upright before #2's next round. Without a specific trigger he hits one person, so I could have both Tinhank and Kukri around to revive and Gitan can shank him.

If he keeps me on the back foot then I never win because I'm never moving forward. The gap between just-revived and full health is barely any here, compared to having more people standing, so I just revive until I have both thing-doers and a turn.

Specifically, Gitan shanks him again and he falls over.

Oh yeah Papito is mostly useless. He's revived at the end to get a little AP for some reason.

I need to restock these things after that. I also need 1000 gil sitting around.

Transition shot.

Each Black Waltz has a different specialty element, kind of. #1 has his blizzard, #2 uses Fira on his own, and #3 will use Thundara on the entire party at a specific point in the fight.

This is a damage race. One we'll win.

Even Gitan has to go into attacking to get this fight to go right.

After a point, he'll flutter up. This makes Gitan not work but Papito and Tinhank are using abilities.

Papito just doublecasts Fire both rounds he has Trance. It's enough.

He used his first action to flutter, and his next is a multi-target Thundara.

16 attack, -7 from hats, halved by Gitan and Papito's shirts and Tinhank just has a beautiful massive 120 health pool.

Another Fire Sword ends the fight.

He doesn't give rewards like #1 or #2, so I had to have my 1k without this.

That's it for pre-Lindblum gameplay. Next time, contests are a farce before the power of technicality.

REGISTER OF RESETS:
One to Tidal Flame Garnet for the hell of it; Unknown number lost to plant spiders spawn numbers; died to Flans without Flee; Untimely crit pushed Sealion to fatally Blizzara.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Could you not spoil things at least?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Jaleel White.

Doing his Sonic the Hedgehog voice.

For everyone.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

McStephenson posted:

I think we can all agree it's like the Sword of Kings on the whole "ooh fun, decently strong, but also useless, and also way too much work" thing.

The Sword of Kings is one of the story ones. It's either the Tournesol or Wyrmhero Blade blade you're thinking of.

The Tournesol is a pain in the rear end to make, its ingredients a combination of rare steals and/or monograph drops that's hard as poo poo to even keep straight and harder yet to get without how the bazaar system consumes items messing you up.

The Wyrmhero Blade is the one you have to beat bonus bosses and the obscure fishing minigame to get. Funfact: It's the sword from Dragon Quest 1.

This one.

Here it is in FFXII.

And in the credits of DQ2.

Why am I posting FFXII trivia again? I guess because it'll take a while before I can prepare another level one update.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

SonicRulez posted:

I may be having a moment of stupidity, but I think you've missed an Earthbound reference.

That sword is a 1/128 drop that's available for a limited time. A simple dice roll, though one not really in your favor.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kemix posted:

There's also the damnedable Casey Bat from those damned Krackens near the end of a story mandated area where you only have Ness, near the end of the game. And if you grind too much on THEM, you don't get those delicious bonus stats/levels for just going through it.

Um.

The guide lied to you.

The Krakens in the Sea of Eden are the same as the story boss.

They don't have item drops.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CHAPTER FIVE: But now in the business district of the Lindblum Grand Castle he knew there were Zaghnols.

Establishing shot.

Tinhank gets nude before the story removes him from my party for quite a while. Kukri doesn't get hit by BW #2 so she's been bereft of equipment since the factory.

I apologize for nothing.

Man how am I ever supposed to win Battle City if I can't even defeat Bandit Keith?

Wrists cost 130 gil. Steepled Hats cost 260.

It takes 1,000 more to make a Cotton Robe.

They sell for 2,000 which is a little more than 1,390.

With this money I get everything available at the moment.

Thief Swords have statuses but they don't work with Add Status. Instead they are applied at a 100% rate by Soul Blade. The Ogre itself inflicts blindness, which is very, very handy to have.

Despite costing a ton, Tents are something I want in unreasonable numbers. For Reasons.

Foreshadowing.

WATCH BRAHNE START A loving WAR

The Theatre Ship is, like, the best card available for Battle City simply because it tends to have 6-8 directions and a stat total higher than 4. I don't need it nearly as much as I desire the Coral Ring. Absorbing Thunder is much more important than a good card, especially when I can get other good cards but have this one chance at a Coral Ring for the rest of disc 1.

Here's Gitan's set up for Duelist Kingdom.

Wait, I don't have to euphemise it. This is the Festival of the Hunt. Exactly one fight matters, and it involves Gitan being electrocuted and stealing something.

If I don't make this steal, the level 1 game is impossible.

Thus it's kind of imperative to save before trying. It's a long wait between attempts if it fails, though it isn't that hard to do.

I chill by killing a thing.

Then another thing.

Mostly watching this happen.

Running into the fountain area of the business district with less than four minutes left is what causes Zaghnol to spawn.

8 minutes of nothing is rather dull, y'know.

Ratchel's in the lead. This is important.

This isn't the steal. Still nice to have though dodge rates are still abysmal.

Normally Zaghnol is kind of a pain in the rear end due to his 1574 HP but when your goal is just to steal instead of kill, it's okay. He's open to blind and silence off of Gitan's weapons if you have Bandit mastered... somehow.

Ratchel can spend her days just flinging potions since she has nothing else to add.

Zaghnol's Thunder is actually kind of a breather.

Maybe it's the silk shirt, but Heave does a lot more.

Anyway here's the important item that's mandatory at level 1. It's very dumb.

Now for the cunning strategy to close the contest:

Chill in the item menu until time runs out.

Score doesn't advance while in a battle, so Ratchel still takes the contest. Zidane goes "dang" and apparently Zaghnol gets stage fright as he leaves and the children aren't murdered.

Oh uh Lancer. I might use it once.

So he stumbled in, somehow, despite the ground-level gate being closed (this is a plot point) and just stumbled on the trolley, stumbled off, stumbled on the elevator, got to the top level, and stumbled into the throne room.

Also he's a rat.

Suspension: shattered.

And then Kukri's master plan kicked in and everyone died, leaving the throne empty.

I kept a few of the robes around for the defense boost. They have a fire weakness. I can't really avoid that part, though.

Man Eater is on the Coral Ring too? Well screw you Lancer, the only thing Ratchel will be stabbing is humans.

Insomniac, however, has quite a few uses.

That's it for this trip. Next time: birb.

REGISTER OF RESETS:
One to Tidal Flame Garnet for the hell of it; Unknown number lost to plant spiders spawn numbers; died to Flans without Flee; Untimely crit pushed Sealion to fatally Blizzara.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 29, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

zfleeman posted:

Maybe I'm being dense. If the Coral Ring absorbs Thunder, then will it help you

Goodness no, it's for surviving far more mundane Thunders. Because otherwise they'd kill characters. Turning -100 HP into +100 HP is a very good thing for an add-on to do, when its competition for the equipment slot is "insignificant stat boost" and "teaches Flee".

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Schwartzcough posted:

That 30% accuracy rate is pretty standard, and if I remember correctly that amount is likely to get even worse due to Quina's poor Spirit and enemy resistances.

So at level 8 with 24 magic, Quina has a 44 - level percent chance of hitting with Mustard Bomb. The Ironite is level 11, so Mustard Bomb would hit 33% of the time.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kheldarn posted:

Even though I've only just entered Lindblum in my playthrough, Memoria lists them as:

Freya: 100 HP, 32 MP
Quina: 75 HP, 32 MP

Quina's not internally replaced Cinna as of entering Lindblum.

This is from the LLG so you know they legit:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Of all the weird memes an LP thread can produce, remembering Dr. Tot is one of the better ones IMO.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Gau's class is Motherfucker.

FF has never had before or had since a character so singularly dedicated towards exposing how many holes are in the game's combat system.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

KataraniSword posted:

The only characters we have currently that use more than one type of weapon are Zidane (daggers and thief swords) and Garnet (staves and... uh... lacrosse rackets). The only character we haven't seen yet with more than one type of weapon uses the same weapon types as Garnet.

So no, normal attack animations generally aren't going to change up any.

I racket some with Dagger in the LLG. Should I gif it when I get there?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mega64 posted:

I want to say this is a reference, but it doesn't seem to reference anything I can remember.

It's not a reference, it's foreshadowing.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fister Roboto posted:

Actually it doesn't even do that. It sets defense to a random number between 0 and the target's current defense (inclusive). Even if it hits, there's a chance it won't do anything at all! Hence, L3 Useless.

Also nearly every enemy has 10 defense, so it's not actually that hefty of a decrease.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CHAPTER SIX: Quark finds fork and swings "JREAK OUFF" it at black mage's throat hitting it in the nailed him.

Much like a normal playthrough, you want to go here to get the most valuable party member.

Unlike a normal playthrough, I name 'm Quark.

Christ I hate English's lack of a true gender-neutral third-person pronoun. I get nothing really accurate for this tiny quanta of matter that will turn out to matter a lot.

I have to because otherwise level 1 is literally and strictly impossible, and I do mean that at least in the short term. In the long term it's almost the same, from like "astronomically low chances" to "feasible".

"They posted like two-dozen screeds about Muslims a day, like hell I'd take their friend request!"

High Tide would be a good name for a dumb pun image macro about laundry detergent with weed.

It also makes Trance gauge gains go from 1-to-Spirit per hit to Spirit per hit. Quark is the least spirited member of the notspirit squad. Bluh.

I do catch a few frogs, but not many as I don't care.

Anyway it's time to backtrack drastically.

Ah, Lindblum area. I don't think you are ever required to leave from the front door like this at any point in the game.

This is the formation I want. I don't know if there's another formation with an Axebeak where it's not alone, but this is the one that exists so I want it.

Ratchel is too stronk to just gently prod Quark awake it seems.

Ah, yes, one of two Blue Magic spells that I'll get. I may get a third if whimsy strikes.

To that guy who thought Frog Drop, christ no it's level*frogs, so it would take 420 frogs to deal 420 damage.

Anyway I'm out! Get to keep the blue magic unlike FF7 too!

Anyway it's a boring 10 minute walk to the Chocolate Bar Forest.

"The secret is, this is actually an indian graveyard and you're gonna be digging their buried treasures and they'll curse you by draining your level."
"Heh I'm already level 1."
"T-the Chosen One????!"

Digging happens. I get a lot of consumables and just enough gil that I break even, actually. You don't have to worry about running out of cash forever, as long as you can access the forest and/or have Gitan around to steal.

The real prize here are the chocographs, as this equipment is actually very helpful for staying alive.

I'm also including screenshots of where they are just because I love you.

The boots have flee, meaning I can give Gitan whatever weapon I want and he'll still have flee. Alert is good because back attacks are really, really bad.

gently caress you mene you meanie

So after about like several millenia of digging I find the only other chocograph that can be redeemed up before the grotto, after every other chocograph that can be dug up in Disc 1 presented themselves.

This also filled me the gently caress up with restoratives.

You know, I remember this chest as having Silk Robes.

Imagine my dismay. At least it's more money.

Anyway, time for one of the harder parts of the run.

Gitan's sensed it. Forced battles with experience-yielding enemies.

This fight is so innocuous in a normal playthrough I would not begrudge you for forgetting it even existed.

It took over 2 hours of constant effort my first go at Level 1.

So immediately I chuck tents. These working quickly is of central importance to this not being a pain.

As, you know, these guys hurt hard.

Gitan resists ice. If the Type A hit anyone else, they're dead. If he cast Thunder on anyone but Ratchel, they're dead. If he cast fire, they're dead. Strike is survivable at full HP for anyone but Papito.

These guys can take down two guys a turn if you don't get lucky.

Thankfully the first tent hits on the second try.

He was just about to do something so this is extremely fortunately.

Second Type A is also nailed on the second tent.

Then I cure poison so they don't die.

Then Quark gets to jabbin' with that Needle Fork.

Forks deal variable damage and these Type As don't have that much HP. I keep them topped off so as to not accidentally kill one.

Lost so many runs that way.

I use my Hi-Potions for something! Isn't it amazing?

These li'l jabs aren't a worry.

While the magic is big-c Ceased, they can technically attack physically.

It misses a lot and doesn't deal much and it's not a worry without the spells on top.

Ah but on this jab the Type A doesn't recoil!

It means the Needle Fork's 10% petrify chance has kicked in!

Goddamn, first jab on the other Type A and it gets stoned.

So, every enemy has an infinite-duration status effect that prevents them from acting.

WE DID IT GUYS WE WON

Petrified enemies don't give experience, by the way.

Or gil or items, just AP. Whatever, we can get gil or items elsewhere. We've dodged 230 experience points.

Ah gently caress.

These guys took out two guys in the first dang turn.

That deep in the hole, it's faster to get a game over than to reset or to win.

gently caress this door. There's no need. The Bronze Vest teaches Jelly and Jelly is useless to me.

So let's just progress!

Hey look, admire this frame. iI's as detailed as all the rest despite being a transition frame seen for a split second.

SUDDENLY... BETRAYL??!?!?

REGISTER OF RESETS:
One to Tidal Flame Garnet for the hell of it; Unknown number lost to plant spiders spawn numbers; died to Flans without Flee; Untimely crit pushed Sealion to fatally Blizzara; less work to suicide on optional Type A fight than to win or reset.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Glazius posted:

Your plan is to hope your equipment procs petrify?

I guess Level 1 runs get serious about now.

Do you get experience for anything Q eats? That would make it easier, if you didn't.

Only if you actually win the battle. It doesn't apply some 0 EXP thing like petrify does. So for a lone enemy like Ironites I can't get Angel's Snack and stay level 1 as I can't run after eating it. The Axebeaks were in a pair so one got eaten and the other survived to tell the clan of the horrible sight.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mega64 posted:

Also love how much effort and bullshit luck it takes to stay L1 thanks to the mages. Looks like you lucked out with the first fight.

The only thing that could've gone better is the tents both landing the first try. Mostly it's two characters die instantly and I'm trying damage control the whole time while trying to stab with a fork whenever possible and one falls over GODDAMMIT why do forks deal random damage, stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ultrafilter posted:

Have there been forks in any other Final Fantasy title?

Nope, just spears that occasionally had more than one prong.

FF5 had bells, FF6 had paintbrushes and gambling implements, FF7 has megaphones, FF10 had sports equipment and dolls, FFT has books actually being read and bolts of cloth and purses, and FFTA has souls.

There's off-kilter weapons too like Rinoa's blade-launchy thingy or Vanille's weird-rear end whip-staff thingy or Serah's transforming bowsword that's also a moogle, but those aren't anti-weapons like using a paintbrush or piece of silk.

• Locked thread