Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Awesome. I just started my nth playthrough last week and I haven't made it past the first dungeon yet. I'll be playing along.

Also, you mentioned the gifs. It might just be my new computer but those are ridiculously smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Fedule posted:

Fun fact: Final Fantasy IX has bar none the best, finest, most awesomest opening hour of any game of its type.

More than anything else, the thing that comes through the strongest about it is that the entire game was made by people who loved what they did.

I fully agree with that, but (and this may be just me) once you play through once, the first big chunk after the first hour is a slog. But I feel that way about a lot of games.

And I agree. This game has tons of love in it and is incredibly polished. I really only have one complaint about this game, but that's a ways away. There's no world in the series that feels as vivid as this one.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Hey Mega, would you mind getting rid of the "here" icon? I always found it distracting from the gorgeous visuals this games has. Kinda draws your eye to it. But that might just be me.

This game does an amazing job making the cities feel alive. You really get a feel how big everything is. And Alexandria Castle is a freaking monolith.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The only real piece of advice you need is to never EVER sell any equipment.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The Big Whale thing actually made me laugh out loud, and I don't do that often.

Mega64 posted:

He's another main character. And he's one of the best characters in a game full of awesome characters.

Excuse me? He's just ONE OF the best? Not THE VERY BEST?

UNFOLLOW

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think Steiner is supposed to be like that guy who was buff but once he hit 30 he started letting himself go a little. Still strong as hell (seriously, the guy can wreck some poo poo) but the muscles are buried under a little chubbiness.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that this cool, competent Garnet doesn't stick around.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Eh, not really. She's a lot calmer and more in control here. Although she does live here and she has been training to escape, so she has every right to be cool and collected right now. She loses a lot of that demeanor once she's somewhere unfamiliar. Not to say that she freaks out or whines or anything, just that there's a noticeable difference in how she acts. It's not a bad thing, it's just part of her character arc.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Exactly. It would be boring if she stayed a step ahead of everyone the entire game. But here, on her home turf, it works.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I never had a problem with Trance. Most of the abilities are relatively more powerful than previous Limit Breaks. Especially considering that the maximun HP anything in this game has is 65,535. I have no idea why it's that low when even Final Fantasy VI gave you one with 70,000. If you could activate your entire party's Trance's at once, nothing at all would stand a chance.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I could have sworn Kefka had 70K. My bad.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
As much as I love this game, I really feel like this is one of the weakest moments, especially if you've played through before. After a fun, exciting intro, the plot more or less stalls until you get to the first town.

Also hey Mega, you gonna show off the secret/easter egg/whatever with saving on the map?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Ruby always struck me as someone who joined Tantalus because of the theater part of it. She doesn't mind the thieving, but that was never her main goal.

And Blank is such a straight up bro. He'll argue with you all day, but when the chips are down he's got your back no matter what. I remember reading a story on fanfiction.net way back when that was based around "What if Zidane was petrified in Evil Forest instead of Blank?". I enjoyed it. But that was a long time ago. I'd have to track it down again to see if it was actually worth recommending.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
"Call me Queen, bitches"

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's really easy to write Dali off as a standard "first town in an RPG" type small town, but if you remember Alexandria and see how big it looks and how alive it is (and other future cities), you realize that it's supposed to be this small. This barely qualifies as a village.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Add Status is actually not too shabby to put on Vivi for a time. He gets a weapon that inflicts Slow with a much higher success rate than the spell. Granted, buffing and debuffing isn't the greatest in this game, but it's still a viable option.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Fister Roboto posted:

The weapon you're thinking of has a flat 20% chance to inflict slow, while the spell itself has 60% base accuracy, increased by magic and level. Nice try though.

Also Dagger can completely destroy those ghosts with her cure spell. Healing spells ignore magic defense, even when used offensively, so it does around 250 damage when MTd. It's one of the few times she's good for something other than healing in the early game.

Eh. Must have gotten lucky this playthrough then. I ran out of MP because I was VERY determined to get a notorious steal and it saved my rear end.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Eh. Blue Magic in this game is kinda a crapshoot. A lot of it has lousy accuracy, is too tactical to be useful in a game where the best strategy is always (except in one case) "nuke them fast, nuke them hard", or is just plain useless.

Although it does also have some absurdly useful spells. 9999 damage on disc 1 is nothing to sneeze at. Its just not as viable a skillset as it is in, for example, Final Fantasy V. Or VII.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 25, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Honestly, I think what would have helped it out a bunch would be just giving it the Aero series of spells, or something like that just so it can stay competitive when you have to use it. Or hell, even White Wind being available earlier. Because when it's forced on you, it gets overshadowed since there's not really any particularly great stuff available.

Although, again, if you're willing to tote around someone at 1 HP Blue Magic can completely destroy the second half of Disc 1 and a solid chunk of Discs 2 and 3.

But as it always is, when it's useful, it's incredibly useful.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The best part is between stealing every battle and a certain crazy awesome addictive minigame, you should never EVER have to buy a consumable. Until disc 3 because I'm not sure if you can steal Vaccines.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Well to be fair, there aren't a lot of videogame characters whose chest is as in your face as Lani's. Hell, I can't stop looking at it and I'm gay as poo poo. That's impressive.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 28, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Bufuman posted:

Wait, I thought you were female, and thus being gay as poo poo would be a help in that case rather than a hindrance. Or am I mistaken and you're a guy? I might be thinking of someone else (probably Camel Pimp, who I thought was a dude at first and later learned was female).

One of these days I'll get on inventing that device that identifies the gender of everyone on the internet. I'll be rich! Up until I'm murdered by a horde of angry GIRLs that got pissed that I killed their trolling gimmick, but so it goes.

Nope. I am indeed a guy. Born and bred. I even drink beer and yell at hockey players and everything. Don't worry, apparently Leavemywife thought I was a woman too.

I like Vivi's Trance outfit, especially when you think about it for a minute. It's induced by a surge of powerful emotions. Poor kid REALLY wants that hat.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Vivi's arc on the whole is absolutely fantastic, and is the longest running one along with Dagger's. And this moment really kickstarts it. He's stopped stuttering, he's standing up for himself and other people, and overall everyone's favorite WMD is growing up fast. It's neat to see it better in screenshots.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Rarity posted:

I just realised so many awesome things have happened already and we're only about 15% through the game

Yeah, if you go straight from Point A to Point B this game is actually rather short. But the world is so huge and so full of things to do that sometimes you wanna do anything but that.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I feel like Steiner's mouth looks much larger in-game. At least in the scene where Dagger falls backwards off the castle.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Keldulas posted:

Cmon game, stop making me feel bad for Vivi. He just wants to enjoy the animals, not get attacked by savage monsters. This is getting mean.

I like to think Vivi pissed off a gypsy and the first 3 discs are revenge.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You know, in all the years I've played this game, I don't think I've ever been to the Industrial District. You're never required to go there.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I always imagine Dagger in these scenes with one eyebrow cocked, seeing right through Zidane and teasing him. She really gets a ton of characterization, but it's hard to see sometimes because she was with Vivi when he pissed off the gypsy. She's confident in her abilities, but the moment things don't go as planned, she loses it. She can't think on her feet that well. She needs plans and directions.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

mauman posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any rpgs (or hell, games in general) where the hippy/back-to-nature faction are the bad guys and the techno-guys are the good guys?

Cuz that would be awesome :allears:

Breath of Fire III. Kinda. Technology is a major theme. One of the main characters is an engineer and the main antagonist doesn't want machines out in the world.

EDIT: Oh, and the first two Star Oceans. If you squint. It's not major, but technology being defeated by the good guys using swords and magic is definitely there. Ignore that woman who uses a high tech laser gun because she uses it as a club anyways.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 14, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I remember as a kid thinking if I did a pattern of Detect-Steal-Detect-Steal-Detect-Steal I would get the first 3 items no problem. It always seemed to work that way for me

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Bufuman posted:

I liked the idea of making FF6 tougher (because honestly, I could probably beat vanilla FF6 in my sleep at this point), but BNW was a bit over-the-top for me. Harder enemies is one thing, but making it so that bosses are practically impossible without relying heavily on, say, Sap status (I'm looking at you, Dadaluma) was close to infuriating. Don't have a character that can inflict Sap? gently caress you, back to Narshe with ye. And good luck with more running because if you gain levels now you're going to be gimped to hell when you start getting Espers! :argh:

I'm not a proponent of low-level playing, if you can't tell. Avoiding overleveling, sure, that I can handle, but I tend to have terrible RNG luck and an incredible lack of patience, so I like my levels to be at least around the recommended average, and usually don't run from fights unless I'm really up a creek or the enemies are trivial.

Basically, what I want out of FF6 is a middle ground between vanilla and BNW, something that makes things actually tougher without forcing you to rely on certain characters/strategies and lets you have a little bit of leeway for leveling early.

I get that. There's a difference between making things harder, or more balanced, and turning every single fight into a puzzle (Lookin' at you, Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3).

EDIT: Speaking about Lindblum, it's also the closest thing you get to a "home base" in this game. You see a lot of Lindblum throughout the game.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 20, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There's only 2 steals I go out of my way for whenever I replay these days. The Mage Masher from the first fight, and the rare steal from the first boss after Freya joins, simply because it's a long overdue upgrade and makes the next couple sections much easier.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm like 75% positive my Zidane was still alive when Freya killed Zaghnol on my last playthrough.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love how there is one playable character who is seen and alluded to multiple times up until their recruitment, and then proceeds to have 1 moment of plot relevance for the entire game.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 24, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I remember on one of my playthroughs, I Was short on cash for whatever reason, so I decided to get some cash in the Grotto to get it. And that was when I realized you can't get back to town once you either leave or get to the Grotto.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've never done a Level 1 Game but I think I know what you need the Needle Fork for and I wish you luck sir/ma'am/your holiness. I've seen it happen only once in my time

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Next side quest/mini-game is the BEST side quest/mini-game.

I have my ukulele on standby for it.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Honestly, if Quina had a reliable damage spell, or even just got the Aero series, it'd be a much better character in battle. As it is, it's niche as hell unless you wanna keep it at 1 HP or max out Frog Drop.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

U-DO Burger posted:

Thanks to this thread I started playing FFIX again a couple weeks ago. My 3-year-old daughter was watching me play and I tried to explain to her what was going on, and it seems she took in more than I thought.

Yesterday, out of the blue my daughter declared that I was "a plant", and that I needed to sit on the floor. I obliged, then she picked up a red ball, stood a few feet away, and shuffled her feet in place and waved her arms a bit. Then she hopped over to me and bopped me on the head with the ball before returning to her original position and resumed idling in place.

"I'm the black mage!" she said. Then she grabbed her Elmo doll and put him on my head. "She's the princess."

Oh, I get it.

"What's the ball?"
"It's fire."

She grabbed a blue ball, declared that it was ice, and bonked me with that one too. Her little brother was "the monkey person".
And so I was a plant for half an hour while my daughter nuked the poo poo out of me with various spells.

The End.

Will this also be a screenshot LP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

And there were small typos here.

Actually, that's just how he talks. I think. Pretty sure.

• Locked thread