Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emy
Apr 21, 2009
Final Fantasy IX. :neckbeard:

I played this game very shortly after Final Fantasy VII, and among the substantial differences between the two games is the style of the soundtrack. The music in FF7 was quite functional, and at times downright excellent, but I still can't help but feel that FF9's soundtrack is a step up from that. Part of it is the switch in instrument choice, due to the game's aesthetic, but I think FF9's music generally just has more going on in it. Vivi's theme is one of the more FF7-like tracks, since most of it is bare-bones.

It's more evident in the arrangements made for live orchestral performances, but 9's music seems more suited to that because it already incorporates a wider range of instruments as well as more small flourishes with those same instruments. Which is pretty impressive, since to the best of my knowledge, both used the same technology (which I think was basically MIDI with a soundfont, or some proprietary format to the same effect). If anyone knows anything about the technical side of FF9's soundtrack in more detail, I'd be glad to hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Son Ryo posted:

I would love to have the battle system significantly changed-- or at least the godawful equipment system. I basically can't play this game, despite how charming it is, or FFTA because that system where you have to equip outdated gear to get skills just kills me.

I think it's better in this game, because FFTA has the extra dimension where exp (gained by hitting things) levels you up, and your stat gains when you level up are determined by your job, which is unlocked with AP (gained at the end of battles). So for optimal stats you want to only level up in certain jobs, which means having that character sitting in the back not doing anything except wearing various gear for its abilities (until the right job unlocks).

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Unfortunately this game kind of has the same problems because (surprise!) your stat gains at level up are partially determined by the stat boosts from equipment you're wearing at the time.

It's not a big enough difference to really matter, but it drives completionists insane.

gently caress me, I would have been so much happier not knowing that.

• Locked thread