Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
:neckbeard: Oh boy oh boy! FFIX is just the most charming drat game. There's just so many little hidden tidbits everywhere that the world really feels alive. The battle speed never bothered me like it seems to bother everyone else, so it in my opinion the game really has no downsides.

Edward_Tohr posted:

I love how Baku just inexplicably has a Queen Brahne doll here. :allears:

... I love a lot of things about this game, in fact. :v:

Since he tosses it over his shoulder and you can keep selecting that option, he apparently has a huge stack of Queen Brahne dolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I love that sword fight, but I've never been able to get 100 on it. The timing requirement must be pretty tight, and my reflexes just aren't good enough for it (and I've dodged 200 lightning bolts in FFX a couple times).

Pureauthor posted:

I'm pretty baffled about why they created this elaborate minigame that can be played from here all the way to the very end of the game, and didn't give you any way to turn it into useful stuff for the 'main' gameplay.

... Why?

A lot of stuff in this game, like the card game, the jump rope, etc., are very.... what's the word... Drakengardian. They're enormous pains in the rear end, they have no tangible benefit at all besides a twisted sense of pride, and they were pretty clearly included purely to punish players with OCD. But that's ok because there's no downside to skipping them, and indeed skipping them should make you feel better about yourself for not being a lunatic.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Fedule posted:

Someone somewhere once told me the technical name for the pattern in which Zorn and Thorn speak and I am trying to remember it and I cant and it is driving me mad--

FF Wiki posted:

In the game's English translation, Zorn and Thorn speak in an antimetabole speech pattern using the same words to reply to each other but in active and passive form.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Mega64 posted:

This is the head chef of Alexandria. This creature is also a main character because why not.

So, my take on this is that (minor spoilers) this is a Qu, but not that Qu. The whole point with the other party member is that s/he has to move out of the swamp and try eating more things than frogs. I find it very hard to believe that s/he became the head chef in Alexandria, then went back to the swamp and was still considered inexperienced in food.

Edit: vvv Oh yeah? Weird.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 8, 2015

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

What gets me most about his design is he's wearing full plate mail shorts. It looks totally ridiculous (as it's supposed to).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Twib posted:

The funny thing about Steiner is that, regardless of his actual capabilities or those of the Pluto Knights, he still has one of the most important jobs in the realm - safeguarding the castle and the royal family. At least in matters of internal security, he's on equal standing with, if not outright outranking, General Beatrix, who commands the entire Alexandrian army.

Eh, not really. I get the impression Beatrix is more in charge of that.

Both Steiner and Beatrix were told to go find the princess. I think Steiner and the Pluto Knights just get told to do whatever needs doing at the time.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I never had a big problem with the ability learning system in this game. You tend to be able to learn most skills from several items, and if you insist on grinding out each one at the earliest opportunity, you run into a pretty long lull about midway through the game where you aren't learning any skills at all because all the new weapons and armor you get just reteach skills you already have. So it's really not worth using really bad old equipment just so you can learn a skill, usually.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I never did any ether farming and by the end of the game I was having to sell them because I kept hitting 99 ethers. Use your ethers.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

mauman posted:

Never was fond of Dagger.

Always named her Jewel.

Or you could just go crazy and name her Sarah. So many choices. This is the only instance in the entire series I can think of where they made a big deal over a character's name, and then let you change it so the scene didn't make sense. It's doofy but I like it anyway.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Hirayuki posted:

Moogles (mouguri) are supposed to be a cross between a mole (mogura) and a bat (koumori). This one definitely has some rabbit in its family tree.

They prefer to be called Viera, you racist.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I think the item shop girl's post about card game mechanics actually gets updated at a couple points in the game, to slowly reveal how the game actually works. Or maybe I just dreamed that.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

SorataYuy posted:

Something I'm starting to take away from this and the 7 thread:
A lot of Final Fantasy "fans" seem to be really fans of just a couple of them, the series as a whole is something only about 50-55% of the fans have played and enjoyed most of. I'm seeing more evidence for this theory as time goes on.

I think you are vastly overestimating the number of people that have played the whole series, if that's what you meant. I'm guessing the percentage of FF fans who have played all 12 non-MMO mainline installments is probably like 3%.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I've stolen pretty much every turn all game at least twice, and Thievery still tends to do around 4-5K endgame. It takes a ridiculous amount of grinding to max out. Same with Quina's grindable ability.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

TravelLog posted:

Quina's ability is way simpler to grind out than Thievery and Freya's Dragon Crest. Obviously leveling to 99 is a pain for anyone because of how high the EXP curve gets, but the other aspect of the ability isn't too terrible.

The problem is it takes too drat long for the frogs to respawn. I mean, getting them is easy, if you're willing to leave the game running overnight all the time so they respawn. But by the time you have the transportation to farm all the swamps normally, it's late enough in the game that catching that many frogs requires sitting around doing nothing for hours after you've finished all the sidequests. By comparison, you can max out Dragon Crest really freakin' early in about 45 minutes.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

FeyerbrandX posted:

Which is really odd when the made that FFXIII recap video in FFVI era sprites.

The FFV/VI mobile ports don't look particularly HD to me, just.. wrong.

I think this is just a case of different teams. Like, the mobile ports and remakes are all hideous "HD" graphics, but a bunch of their mobile games (All the Bravest, Record Keeper) are all about the pixel art, retro-izing all the modern characters into 16-bit sprites.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Bufuman posted:

We're also ignoring the fact that Beatrix is 27 years old to Steiner's 33. Not much of an age difference now, but 15-20 years ago? She would've been a very young teenager at best, against a nearly full-grown Steiner. Regardless of how naturally talented she was, Steiner's significantly larger size would've made it a fairly even match.

Clearly you're new to JRPGs, where age is inversely proportional to power levels. Beatrix was never more powerful than when she was 12.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 4, 2015

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So that pub where we met Freya, I think the special of the day listed out front changes a couple times. It's always named after a status ailment (which explains why Zidane is kinda hesitant to sample new dishes...)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Tzarnal posted:

I feel like this is actually critical. Wat to many jrpgs have a "romance" plotline that basically isn't one. Two characters establish some level of attraction in an early act and then just sort of... don't progress past that point. You can be sure at some point there will be some horrible cliched thing towards the end. Boom. Wasn't that romantic ?

No, not it wasn't. Now I don't know how this is going to go past this point but for now this has actually been about two people who are inerested in each other. One much bolder about it than the other. And they're doing things you might expect them to do.

FFIX has a much better love story than VIII or X, despite those games being much more focused on it. Fact.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

mauman posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any rpgs (or hell, games in general) where the hippy/back-to-nature faction are the bad guys and the techno-guys are the good guys?

Cuz that would be awesome :allears:

Maybe it would be explored more often if technology wasn't (on the whole) vastly more powerful than hippy nature crap. In order to create tension, writers make the "bad guy" powerful and threatening (i.e. technologically advanced) while the good guys are weak underdogs (bucolic backwater folk). If you make the hippy poo poo powerful and threatening, you basically just end up with witchcraft/sorcery, which is often the main villain.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

FeyerbrandX posted:

Chrono Cross wants to hammer into your face how much humanity sucks and non humans (including genocidal heavy machinery loving dwarves) are soooo much better and in touch with nature and humans should crawl into a hole and die in a fire.

Yeah, but Chrono Cross clearly had the nature-loving hippie race (reptites) wiped out by the dirty techno-apes (humans). Humans are the bad technology group there.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I kinda get the impression SorataYuy is being intentionally thick to stick to their point.

"I don't get why people want sequels to games. If you want to keep playing games, why not just play a different game?"

"I don't get why people like difficulty settings in games. If you want a harder challenge, why not just play a different, harder game?"

"I don't get why people try to think of ways to make things they enjoy be even more enjoyable to them."

"I don't get why people ever try to improve things."

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

SorataYuy posted:

I kinda get the impression that you missed my point, which isn't any of that stuff you're spouting. It's this thing called "per-son-al pref-er-ence". I am a-llow-ed to be puzzled by the attitude of "this game is so great, let's make it BETTER by making it BRAIN-BLEEDINGLY DIFFICULT and spending untold hours of my finite mortality on changing it, instead of making my own game entirely and maybe getting reparations for my labors!" Because seriously, the majority of the time, that mindset leads to loving browser-camping at fanfiction.net. And no one wants that.

Yeah, and some people's "personal preference" is that they want a game that they love and know inside-and-out to still provide them with engaging challenges. I don't enjoy insanely hard challenge mods either, but I get why people make them. You're allowed to be puzzled by it, sure; but your puzzlement is more puzzling to me.

Plus, I believe it's much, much easier to mod an existing game than it is to create an entirely new one. You're also much more likely to end up with something decent and playable.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Bufuman posted:

I liked the idea of making FF6 tougher (because honestly, I could probably beat vanilla FF6 in my sleep at this point), but BNW was a bit over-the-top for me. Harder enemies is one thing, but making it so that bosses are practically impossible without relying heavily on, say, Sap status (I'm looking at you, Dadaluma) was close to infuriating. Don't have a character that can inflict Sap? gently caress you, back to Narshe with ye. And good luck with more running because if you gain levels now you're going to be gimped to hell when you start getting Espers! :argh:

I'm not a proponent of low-level playing, if you can't tell. Avoiding overleveling, sure, that I can handle, but I tend to have terrible RNG luck and an incredible lack of patience, so I like my levels to be at least around the recommended average, and usually don't run from fights unless I'm really up a creek or the enemies are trivial.

Basically, what I want out of FF6 is a middle ground between vanilla and BNW, something that makes things actually tougher without forcing you to rely on certain characters/strategies and lets you have a little bit of leeway for leveling early.

I remember Dadaluma being rather frustrating, yeah, but mostly BNW is a rebalance and not a "hard mod." It's actually pretty reasonable for the most part. The mod was also designed expecting you to level up before getting espers, and enemy XP was balanced so that would it be very difficult to pass certain levels before getting them. So it was really hard to "gimp" yourself. Also, the latest versions managed to separate character levels from esper levels, so you could hit max character level before getting the espers, then level them up and still get their stat bonuses.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

If you synth weapons for Zidane before this, you can one-shot pretty much everything in the event outside of the boss. Saves you a couple seconds.

And I have definitely had other people in the lead besides Zidane and Freya when getting into the Zaghnol fight. Which means you basically need to steal all his goodies, wear him down, get Zidane killed, and let Freya finish him off within the time limit to get a good prize. Can be hectic.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The problem is that a lot of Quina's skills are status-based (both buffs and debuffs), and frankly statuses kinda suck in this game. Most of them run out pretty quickly, which is only made worse by the wonky ATB system. You can drag them out a bit, but it requires dedicated menu opening and closing at just the right times with the game set to Wait, which is more of a chore than anything. Plus, it's way too hard to get most of the negative statuses to stick. That 30% accuracy rate is pretty standard, and if I remember correctly that amount is likely to get even worse due to Quina's poor Spirit and enemy resistances. Ah well, Quina is still pretty good at just forkin' things.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So at level 8 with 24 magic, Quina has a 44 - level percent chance of hitting with Mustard Bomb. The Ironite is level 11, so Mustard Bomb would hit 33% of the time.

I'm thinking more of later in the game, where it's not unusual to be facing level 57 enemies while your team is level 32. The level difference really starts to tank the accuracy rating.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

kalonZombie posted:

No I'm pretty sure there's about 2 or 3 characters who do far less with the same-ish amount of screentime.

He said most important unimportant dude, not most unimportant important dude. Of course the other characters do less with their screentime.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

At a certain point, I can hit the 8-item limit consistently, and then it becomes a challenge to see how quickly I can hit the limit. You get really nice bonuses if you hit the limit with a lot of time left. It's really the only way to go for the better prizes while staying sane.

CH&C is the best.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

It should be noted that the tent snake isn't a guaranteed thing, though; it's something like a 25% chance to happen. So you could end up blowing a fair number of tents and turns trying to get it to work. Still, very handy for this fight, since you can just save-scum if you're really worried about it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

I actually double checked and I was wrong, forks are affected by rows! My bad then. Then again I barely used Quina when I didn't have to, he/she was so awkward outside of gimmicks.

Incidentally, in Record Keeper, forks are classified as lances instead. Because they made up a new weapon category for Red's hairdresses and Setzer's darts but they didn't want to give Quina that honour.

Don't forget Barret's gun-arms, Wakka's balls, or Lulu's dolls!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

BrightWing posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but CES?

Celes Edgar Setzer. It's a FFVI thing where people do the final dungeon with the bare minimum number of party members recruited. Very tough, when you have to split into three teams and you only have three people.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Or get it from the Henne Mines chest (yes, it's an outside chance of getting it, but it's non-zero). Or just use the numerous other (and arguably better) weapons of that caliber (Tournesol, Masamune, etc).

That's why I don't get it; it's as superfluous as the Excal 2.

But once you know how to get it, it's incredibly simple. It's just irritating for people that didn't read a strategy guide or something first. Once you know about it, there's no reason not to get it.

People love to throw fits about it, but in IZJS it's basically just another high-end weapon, and is arguably much harder to get. You basically have to choose between the spear and some other excellent equipment, and it can only be obtained basically post- post-game. Personally, I prefer to be able to make a mad dash for it in the Vanilla version, when you're horribly underleveled and everything OHKOs you. Sure, it's a "a-ha gotcha!" moment for players that go in blind, but people that go in blind are bound to miss a number of items throughout the game. Final Fantasies are somewhat notorious for permanently missable gear, so it's not like blind players shouldn't expect stuff like this.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I thought you couldn't get the Racket on top of the wagon in this segment? Like, Steiner says something about not being able to climb the ladder while carrying the bindle, and once you put it down you can't go back.

Then again I also remember passing this point and discovering I could've gotten it on one of my playthroughs and being quite miffed. Small equipment spoiler: The rackets are basically the only way for Dagger to contribute to combat outside of healing, and this is the only one you can get for a long time if I recall.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The universe really loves to pick on Vivi. Has one happy thing happened to him this whole game?

The shopkeeper in Lindblum gave him a free kupo nut. :unsmith:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I'm sad you're retiring from LPing, but I'm glad it's because you're too busy doing better stuff. Thanks for everything!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

He's definitely Patrick Warburton. That's not even up for discussion.

I dunno, when Robert Z'Dar exists. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0120494/?ref_=tt_cl_t1
The man doesn't even look human, but he sure does look like Steiner.

Edit: oh wait, he's dead.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Something tells me cutscene summons are SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than gameplay summons.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Lynx posted:

Here's the thing that bugs me - they have regular boats, so why has no one ever sailed to a different continent before?

They probably have, because they're aware of the other continents (hence why this one is named The Outer Continent). It's just that the other continents have not been thoroughly explored/mapped. And they're probably too inconvenient to travel to for what they have to offer, so there's been no great incentive to set up regular travel routes or invest in exploration.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The X party needed at least one or two hypellos. Like Lulu could've easily been a sexy hypello.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

SorataYuy posted:

Going by this logic, Record Keeper bumps 13-2 out, since you get every single FF protagonist and some of the antagonists (Sephiroth, Reno, Kuja, Exdeath, and Gilgamesh v.5 so far.)

And Golbez and Kefka and Edea and Seifer and Jecht, and soon to be Garland (I), Leo, Gabranth, and Cid Raines (XIII).

• Locked thread