Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Fun fact: Final Fantasy IX has bar none the best, finest, most awesomest opening hour of any game of its type.

More than anything else, the thing that comes through the strongest about it is that the entire game was made by people who loved what they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I gather the strategy guide is being reprinted and yes, they are actually putting in all of the stuff that was gated on PlayOnline. Good times.

I got the original guide too. At least it had some okay art.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What IX really needs is a remake on hardware that can actually handle it.

I don't know how I'd feel about a remake that significant changed the battle system, though. I mean, sure, it was slow and clunky and used long animations to hide longer loading times but at the same time it is one of the most balanced JRPGs ever made. The poo poo that people have figured out from doing low-level speedruns is insane and it'd be a shame to lose that.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Someone somewhere once told me the technical name for the pattern in which Zorn and Thorn speak and I am trying to remember it and I cant and it is driving me mad--

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I love that instead of a "help" button, FFIX has an "ask Mog" button.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
A thing that could've been cool is a mechanic that combines Trance and MP. It's what I'd use if I wound up having to remake FF9.

It'd be nifty. As you take damage (or other configurable circumstances a la FFX) the meter builds. You use the meter to cast spells and use abilities. If the meter fills up you can activate Trance like a limit break, or just use more expensive abilities. However, if you take damage with a full meter then Trance is activated for you.

As a bonus this would be entirely in keeping with the observations made in-game about Trance. But I'm getting ahead of myself. The point is, I see what they were going for but there would have been much better ways to do it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Ilyich posted:

Mogster is the best Tutorial system.

The Ask-the-Moogle button is in-universe canon.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

In a game full of astoundingly good music this is actually my favourite track. It's got everything - the pleasant pacing, the layered yet ultimately simple melody, the gradually building harmony - and even with all that it manages this sort of humble charm that fits right in with where it plays. And this isn't some generic town theme either - this is the theme of Dali and nowhere else.

I love this game.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Last week I went to see London Symphony Orchestra play Final Fantasy music with a guest appearance by Nobuo God drat Uematsu and it was pretty great. I bring it up because there was a pre show Q&A and while I didn't get picked to ask one (it would've been some boring poo poo about variable mixes or something, or maybe how he went about writing English lyrics or whatever, I'unno), one of the guys who did decided to use his moment on the mic with Nobuo God drat Uematsu to ask if he had ever heard of OCRemix.

Nobuo God drat Uematsu responded "Not really, no". The guy then begged him to check it out.

Bet you anything he was a contributor.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
FFIX is masterfully balanced.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Explanation of the post above: I meant to quote it. Hit edit instead (#modproblems). No problem; realised instantly, backed out and hit quote instead. Wrote post.

Unfortunately, Awful App has a bug with cached but unsubmitted posts where they get confused with each other, and with edits. So my post got submitted as an edit instead, and now that post is a reply by someone else to a thing that was never said.

Forums.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ApplesandOranges posted:

It took me til Curtain Call to really appreciate Dark City Treno and then I didn't know why I didn't love it before.

Similarly, it took the London Symphony Orchestra version of Vivi's Theme to make me love it.

That whole concerto was amazing.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Since this song has cropped up, really tempted to link to a great lyrical arrangement. I don't' think there's any spoilers in it, but there's another point where it'd be even better to link to it.

Probably won't really be fitting until after a certain sequence in Disk 3. I assume that's what you meant by "another point".

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I liked Eiko as a character. JRPGs usually fail miserably (and/or creepily) at writing the "kid who's wise beyond their years" trope but Eiko makes it work, mostly. I still think the notion of her canon age being like six is absurd but in a genre where twenty-somethings are old and busted it barely registers as a crime.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
FFIX went right into my favourites list more or less the instant I got it, and this cutscene... had nothing to do with it because it was literal years before I ever got to actually see it myself.

My disk 3 was scratched in some maddeningly precise way so that this cutscene always, always, froze right at the start, and the only way to continue the game was to open and close the disk tray, skipping it. I was never entirely sure what had happened although I could guess most of it (Alexander being destroyed, everything exploding, Zidane saving Dagger). It wasn't until The Youtube Age when I finally saw that cutscene, and I laughed for a straight minute the first time I saw Eiko's reaction.

This game is amazing.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh by the way I believe it's time for people to start posting that one OCRemix. You know the one.

Okay fine I'll do it. It's The Rose General, the only piece of music to actually make me say "holy poo poo" out loud.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

NikkolasKing posted:

Did you miss the part where Kuja was freaking out when he realized Garland was there? It was the first time all game Kuja lost control.

He's been plotting to betray Garland for years now. Shame he seems to have underestimated the power of the big eyeball in the sky. Odd considering he himself was apparently using it up until now. Maybe Garland can make better use of it.

That's not quite it. What Kuja didn't expect or consider possible was that Garland would take any notice of what was happening in Gaia. Garland didn't do any particular unexpected thing that Kuja wasn't prepared for, but by showing up at all he completely scuppered Kuja's plans, because said plans hinged entirely on remaining undetected. I guess Garland just wanted to show off by appearing at a key moment because that's just how he rolls.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

mateo360 posted:

PC version:

i81icu812 posted:

I dont know why the PC version font choice bothers me as much as it does, but every time I see it it just looks wrong.

I don't mind the typeface that much but it's inconsistently kerned (look at the "r"s). It's not the biggest offender in the department of loving up the kerning in an HD port (that would be the 3DS Ace Attorney Trilogy, which impressively ruined not only the kerning but also the baselines) but it's the sort of thing that a certain mindset cannot not be driven insane by once observed.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Please don't hate me, but... I don't really like You're Not Alone all that much? I mean it's cool and all, and the scene is great, and I guess it works nicely in context, but... that's kinda it? Out of context... I like the melody but the instrumentation is just too cheesy for me, and it just doesn't seem to hit any of those targets that make my brain forget about Final Fantasy IX for a moment and focus on what a good piece of music it is.

For my money the high point of this soundtrack is Frontier Village, which I believe I've mentioned before way back in the thread. It's got a humility to it that echoes the sountracks of old; it just takes a really nice melody, and then layers, and layers some more, and just... it's just really nice to listen to (plus it also happens to fit perfectly in context). I like a lot of music in this game for a lot of reasons but Frontier Village nails pretty much all of them, and You're Not Alone just kinda sorta hits one. Fite me.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Ophiuchus is interesting. It is IRL colloquially known as the "13th Zodiac Sign" although it is more accurate to say that it is the "13th constellation through which the Sun passes as observed from Earth over the course of a year", which isn't quite as punchy. It briefly caused a stink among people who take astrology really, really seriously after someone read an article written by NASA (for kids) - outlining all this Zodiac business and how it relates to actual astronomy and noting that the constellations considered to be part of it have changed over time - and interpreted it as "NASA is changing the Zodiac signs" and started spreading the word, and, well, followers of astrology aren't really renowned for their rigourous checking of sources. This has happened multiple times. New Scientist has a pretty good explainer of this clusterfuck.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

George posted:

FFXII unfortunately decided it needed some silly time sinks to properly simulate that MMO experience. The way chests work is rubbish and the three big worms are tedious. I only ever fought Yiazmat because it was the last thing I hadn't done in a game I dearly love.

IZJS and the upcoming HD port (which is IZJS with a better name) addresses this significantly. Chests are completely overhauled and aren't luck based (and there is a sane way to get the infamous Zodiac Spear), there's no longer a damage cap (or maybe they just raised it to 99999), and oh yeah there's a global 2x fast forward button.

The really dumb thing about the lingering vengeful spirit of Yasumi Matsuno is that on top of his 52 overlapping health bars, when you get him down to about half of that he'll put up a passive for the rest of the fight that arbitrarily reduces all damage by 30% - calculated after the damage cap is applied, meaning that you're arbitrarily limited to 6999 damage from that point on, just as an added gently caress you. Of course, in IZJS he still has this ability, but it's significantly less bullshit because your damage numbers against him are uniformly higher, so you're not hitting an arbitrary cap and then getting nerfed. As a result of all this, the whole fight goes much faster but doesn't feel nerfed.

Vanilla FFXII was really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It took some time for us to get here, and even now it's not the most obvious thing in the world due to perspective, but...

...we've finally encountered The Thing In The Background Of The Final Fantasy Logo.

• Locked thread