Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Enjoying the LP so far; I only ever played through this one once and it just never really clicked with me. (Also count me among those who got burned by the Brady Games scam guide.) That said, it did have its moments, and there were characters who I genuinely liked, especially Vivi. As for Steiner... I didn't much care for him at the start of the game. But he eventually grew on me. Pretty sure my end game party was him, Vivi, Garnet and a character we haven't met yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

It's like they got pissed with people breaking the game with Triple Triad in 8 and decided "gently caress you, people who like card minigames for stuff. We're going to make the most obtuse one possible, made entirely of RNG elements and have no rewards for early mastery! Ha!"

In other words, Tetra Master was designed by Yoko Taro and Akitoshi Kawazu.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Uematsu is a huge fan of leitmotif.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I'm surprised we managed to get through a discussion of evil religions in JRPGs without mentioning the Breath of Fire games.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

DemonTrigger posted:

FF9 is a return to the more cartoony and upbeat style of Final Fantasy, you know, with such things as existential crises in the first act.

But seriously, that more serious kind of stuff has been around since at least FF4, and it's usually done pretty well.

The entire plot of FF III was caused by an ancient, omnipotent wizard giving his three disciples the following gifts:
  • Vast magical knowledge
  • Dominion over the realm of dreams
  • Mortality
... and the guy getting stuck with the last one freaking the gently caress out and stopping the progression of time just to keep himself from eventually having to die.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

I may not like FFIII, but that part of it is golden. Talk about sympathizing with a villain. How could you not get pissed off in that situation? Clearly you were the least favorite and you got completely hosed. That sort of "In the same situation, I might've made the same choice" is actually SUPER relevant to this game and I love it.

Like, philosophically, I can kind of understand how it could be considered a "gift." It's supposed to make you appreciate what you have before it's gone, that whole "memento mori/mono no aware" thing.

But it's still a pretty dick thing to do. And even if Noah wasn't deliberately trying to be a dick about it, it's still the JRPG equivalent of that scene from "A Christmas Story" where Ralphie's aunt sends him a pink bunny pajama suit.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Keldulas posted:

I am honestly impressed with what they've done with Vivi here. Like this series of events is spiteful, but.... there's a lot of heart in how he reacts to this poo poo. That more than anything sells what's going on here for me.

I've only ever played through the game once, but Vivi was pretty much my favorite character throughout the entire thing.

Poor kid needs so many goddamn hugs you don't even know. :smith:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Rooreelooo posted:

But without the mouth how can you tell whether he's feeling :smith: or :unsmith: ?

Look at the shape of the eyes.

I really like this one.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Freya was one of my favorite characters.

It's a shame the plot basically forgets she exists after a certain point. :sigh:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Edward_Tohr posted:

If you step outside of Final Fantasy, there're a few characters in Chrono Cross who are literally born/hatched/created in the same cutscene where they join the party.

Also, Relm is, like, six, isn't she? Older than the Mysidia Twins, but still younger than Vivi.

Palom and Porom are 5, Rydia is 7, Vivi is 9, Relm is 10, Mog is 11, Gau is 13, and Krile, Luneth, Arc, Refia and Ingus are all 14.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Warburton is too obviously goofy IMO.

I feel like with Stewart, you'd have this almost dignified first impression before he devolves into his usual bumbling self. Which is great. Steiner isn't just some cantankerous oaf, he's a dude with aspirations and convictions about what a knight is supposed to be and how they're supposed to act. Every now and then he even manages to kick off the clown shoes and actually do something truly heroic. Stewart can be pretty funny when he's given the chance, but he's also got that imperial nobility about him which I think would fit Steiner to a T.

It also helps that Stewart spent years with the Royal Shakespeare Company (1966 to 1982). Given how heavily FF IX is influenced by Shakespearean themes, Stewart would easily knock it out of the park as Steiner.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I think my favorite part is after they finish the birthday song, they fire off the Final Fantasy Victory fanfare. :allears: :3:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

TravelLog posted:

In short, Quina is good even if Blue Magic isn't as insanely powerful as it was in a game like 5 or Gau's rages were in 6.

It always drives me nuts whenever I see people describe Gau as a Blue Mage. Strago was the Blue Mage in 6; Gau was more of a Beastmaster/Berserker hybrid.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

TravelLog posted:

I mean, Strago was more of the typical blue mage in that he learns spells directly from enemies, but Gau is also very much in the Blue Mage vein. If you must be technical, he's a lot more a Blue Mage/Beastmaster hybrid than a Berserker one.

In the game itself, both in the story and in mechanical terms, he's never referred to as a Blue Mage, because he isn't one.

Also, Gau's skill set is called "Rage" and when you choose to use one, you lose control over him until the battle ends; how does that not strike you as being more "Berserker" than "Blue Mage"?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I did Chocobo Hot and Cold as well... I don't really remember if I considered it fun in and of itself, but I did enjoy all the upgrades I got from doing it. Plus the fight with Ozma was pretty fun.

Also, Vamo Alla Flamenco's pretty good, but it's not my favorite track from the game. We won't get to that one for awhile.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Zeikier posted:

I think it was BradyGames who made the PlayOnline Unfree Brochure. Prima was busy with other lovely guides, like for Jade Cocoon! :pseudo:

Yeah, it was BradyGames.

NEVER FORGET. :cryingvivi:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I love the paradox inherent in a speed run actually taking more time to complete than the time you're shooting for. Because with all these inevitable resets needed, there's no way it would ever take less than 10 hours real time. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

VIII is actually surprisingly good about that as well. Off the top of my head there are only two palette swaps (Elnoyle/Elvoret and Behemoth/Catoblepas).

Mr. Vile posted:

And Bahamut/Tiamat! But yeah, FF8 is really good about not having pallet swaps in general.

That's because all the enemies in the game scaled to the average party level, so there was no need for higher-leveled recolored versions of the enemies.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Acne Rain posted:

personally on Kuja, Final Fantasy is constantly giving you female party members that parade around in underwear and recently in Final Fantasy XV they dressed up a male party member more because he made the male audience uncomfortable, so I'm all forletting Kuja going outside wearing that, especially if he's going to be an awesome character you fear and respect on top of that.

Can honestly say that never happened when I played the game; I mostly just found Kuja annoying as hell. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Hey, come on now. Kuja's theatrical, but he's certainly menacing.

I must respectfully disagree; he comes across to me like watered down hybrid of Kefka and Sephiroth, and ends up failing to capture the essence of what made those two such good villains (and I'm not all that fond of Sephiroth, either, when it comes down to it).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Freed of the curse of Final Fantasy, Mega64 is now able to pursue his dreams of becoming a hip-hop superstar.

... no, wait, that was Hironobu Sakaguchi...

Well, either way, thanks for all the entertainment over the years, Mega64. Good luck in all your future endeavors. :unsmith:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Oh hey, it's Dr. Cot.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I love how right before they get caught in a trap, Dagger's trying to warn Steiner and Marcus there might be traps and they're both like, "Less talking, more walking!" Idiots; you'd think at least Marcus would have known better.

Oh well, at least Dr. Jot's still safe.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Wake up, people! Cleyra was an inside job! Riverdancing can't snap magic harp strings!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I can't believe Burmecian Soldier Dan is loving dead. :(

Oh, and also the rest of the Burmecians and Cleyrans.

Also, I can't read those words without this immediately overwriting whatever music is currently going through my head.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

MarquiseMindfang posted:

As with Odin in all other Final Fantasies, if this was gameplay, Odin's attack would have landed three miles to the left and a giant MISS! would have appeared over Cleyra.

Nah, that's if he'd actually been using his signature Zantetsuken attack. But the FMV clearly shows him hurling his spear Gungnir, which is tends to be more accurate since it doesn't have to check for immunity to instant death.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Plavski posted:

In 8 you listen to love songs and grow up in the same orphanage as every other character with a speaking role and... well 8 is a bit of a mess.

In 8 you're a group of child soldiers who are being subjected to a practice that effectively causes long-term brain damage in exchange for more killing power.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

There's also two different games where mad scientists render people into monstrosities.

IV and VII.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Plavski posted:

One of those occasions in 7 is by attempting to cross-breed a tiger with a girl.

Look, it's already been established that Hojo spent way too much time on the internet. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Plavski posted:

I've always really, really loved the design of Atomos. As a kid I got an app that extracted the FMVs and I used to watch that cutscene over and over. There was something so existential about the destruction of Lindblum that really struck home.

Watching the cutscene, one of the things you see getting sucked into Atomos is a Black Mage. I think that, more than anything else, really underlines how these eidolons are basically indiscriminate forces of nature, and then the horrible realization that they're at the beck and call of a megalomaniacal madwoman sets in.

FF IX is really goddamn bleak at times.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

AweStriker posted:

Lightning Returns is 13-3. 13-2 has two permanent ones (Serah and Noel) and technically however many humans can be put into the constantly rotating third party slot (which is at the very least Sazh and two iterations of Lightning).

13-2 also lets you recruit Gilgamesh if you can defeat him in a DLC boss battle, which means it's automatically the best FF game as far as party compositions go.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Dude's in the middle of a philosophical quandary. His whole worldview's been challenged.

Thought this was about Zidane having to cope with the discovery that Samus Mog is a girl. Then I read the next line and was like, "Oh, right, that guy."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Found this on the internet while looking for pics of Vivi. I think it summarizes his entire existence pretty well:

Vivi needs all of the hugs.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

Garnet is a protagonist in a FF game. I think there has never been a FF protagonist that at one point or other hasn't felt sorry for the villain, even if he burned a village of children or murdered your girlfriend right in front of you.

FF V. Pretty sure none of the Light Warriors or the Dawn Warriors felt sorry for Exdeath at any point.

Not that Exdeath would've given a gently caress. Dude loved being the hammiest goddamn Saturday morning cartoon villain ever.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

QuantaStarFire posted:

Pretty sure XIV Ramuh is just a beard in the shape of a person.

FuSoYa?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I bet Vivi is delicious.

Vivi is a precious cinnamon bun.

Of course he'd be delicious.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Bufuman posted:

I liked certain parts of TAY. Seeing some of my favorite characters from the original game (or even the series) either all grown up or older and wiser was nice. And the challenge dungeons were interesting too. Well, most of them; gently caress Rydia's Challenge Dungeon. Who on earth thought that reprising and extending the Sealed Cave, complete with multiple Demon Wall fights, with a team consisting of ONLY a fragile caster and a slow tank, was a good idea? gently caress that guy!

That said most of the other additions were pointless fluff or poor imitations of plot elements from the original game. And several characters were extremely underpowered to the point where an empty slot was almost preferable (the standouts being Edge's ninja team; considering that Edge was the weak link of the original team but made up for it by being good at several things, making four characters each with ONE of his specialties was a terrible idea). I liked the idea of the Band system, but knowing which attacks to use for some of them was an obtuse pain in the rear end. And the moon system was pointlessly annoying. Overall the game was solidly average at best, not BAD exactly but definitely not good.

I'm still baffled at how Edge's chapter where he's infiltrating the Tower of Babel solo suddenly becomes more difficult when his disciples join the party. You'd think increasing the number of party members from one to five would be a power spike in the player's favor, not the AI's. :psyduck:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

You've never heard of the inverse ninja law?

Of course I've heard of it. Just wasn't expecting to be on the wrong end of it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

but he snaps out of it pretty quick because his cool friends that consist of A Circus Wizard Kid, Dr. Smart Hot Chick, Cool Gruff Uncle, Furry Fury, Lil' Sis, and Tsunderbro are rad and love him.

Also Quina! :zoid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I once did a FFVI run where I named everyone "Kefka".

• Locked thread