Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm pretty baffled about why they created this elaborate minigame that can be played from here all the way to the very end of the game, and didn't give you any way to turn it into useful stuff for the 'main' gameplay.

... Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I love how Steiner is such a complete doofus he genuinely thinks his princess got killed by a prop sword.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

AdmiralViscen posted:

I love this game, but due to the time investment I have really only finished it the one time. I've picked it up 3 or 4 times since then, though.

Speaking of completionism, in that playthrough I missed out on one of Zidane's abilities for the entire game. It's the second one on his list, iirc. There is an item is it the mage masher, or is it a butterfly sword or something? that you straight up can't get after the first couple hours of the game. Since I didn't buy it in a store I just never got the ability that is tied to it. Kind of a major thing to miss.

If anyone is playing along for the first time, buy 2 of everything and don't sell anything.

Yes, FFIX is utterly terrible about locking you out of poo poo suddenly.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The Tantalus crew really have a whole lot of personality to 'em.

They're great.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It's a remix (or contains elements of?) the game's main song.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

How does Steiner reconcile the idea that he should be returning the Princess to the castle when she herself obviously doesn't want to go back?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I love Freya. She's a drat good character in a game full of good characters.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I'm pretty sure Freya will always win by default if you don't hunt down the Zaghnol.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's worth noting that while other races avoid staying in the Mist, the Qu have no problem living in it.

Er.... The city we're trying to get to is Mistbound too, isn't it

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't like those ocremix albums because the quality is always all over the place and each track is a completely different genre so they don't flow well at all. There are a few good tracks in there but most of them are pretty standard ocremix techno or heavy metal bullshit.

Also that cover art is pretty bad.

Download, get the tracks you like, and then discard the rest?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Kuja was basically a blob of white and purple colour for me thanks to my bad TV so the CG movie was my first good look at him.

"Is he wearing a...? Huh."

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I love how Dagger is clearly fed up with Steiner's poo poo in this update.

Of course, she promptly gets robbed first thing so maybe she should have stuck with him anyway.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Kuja's flamboyance is wonderful.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Why couldn't he just eat the cake at the waiting station bench

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Vivi. :smith:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

My theory is that the costumes they wear are actually an important part of the ritual but that got forgotten over time and everybody thinks the traditional garb is just symbolic.

So when Freya tries it in her Dragoon/Knight getup the whole thing goes oglop shaped.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Did you make the right decisions to save everyone?

Well psyche! They all get blown up anyway. Hahaha!

Also where the heck did Sir Fratley go.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

'Rose of May' is a really great track.

The track's title was also often mistranslated as 'Loss of Me'. Which strangely still fits thematically, I guess. Especially in this scene.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

Seems a little late to confirm this.

They can get the Black Mages to did through the rubble that was Cleyra otherwise.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I think the moment would have worked better if Beatrix knew about what was going on and had to work with her own self-doubt during the 3rd match. Instead of an immediate change.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Note also that most people on the Mist Continent live way ABOVE the mist, on mountains and cliffs.

The one notable exception is Burmecia, which has the eternal rain thing going on that kinda makes mist difficult.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Should have had an ability that lets you snag multiple pieces of loot per steal instead.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

FFVI had the Rages which are similar and also hella powerful.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Way to go, Vivi! You finally found people like you!

Psyche! They're all gonna die soon. And so will you.

:smith: :smith:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

BTW, Mega 64, where did you get the artwork that you used to make the Black Mage portraits?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I really wonder why they decided to have Eiko as 6 years old specifically.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

As a kid I just kept wondering what the giant harp was for.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

You'd think step one of 'working together' would be running your plans by each other to make sure everyone is cool with it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Oh boy we get to go meet Kuja with barely half of what's supposed to be our final party and on disc 2 of 4!

I'm sure things will go well.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I wish they'd have shown a bit more of the clash between Kuja's monsters and the Alexandrian fleet, but what we got was pretty good.

The end of Disc 2 really is great.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The chefs busting Eiko's chops is always hilarious.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Why it's almost as if this game wasn't designed to be played at level 1.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

This is simultaneously Shakespeare and anime as gently caress.

Yup, that sounds like FF9 all right.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Terra felt sorry for Kefka in Dissidia.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Oh yessssss.

The beginning of Disc 3 was the buildup. And this is where you would not believe how real the poo poo gets.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 3, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

So much delicious loot here in this game.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The After Years

FF4 sequel that is dumb and grindy.

And dumb.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

:downs:: Guys let's jump into the bad guy's secret base that is on the bottom end of a quicksand pit! Surely nothing could go wrong with that idea!

Made so much worse by the fact that Kuja quite obviously has another exit/entrance by way of the airship dock.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I really like the sense that something went very deeply wrong with the civilisation in Mt. Gulug and they all suddenly vanished, replaced with ghosts, poisons monsters, and of course the Red Dragons.

I guess they Dug Too Deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I want anime hair that never tangles, is light enough that you can grow it to your hips without ever being encumbered by it, and can be sliced apart like warm butter (and perfectly evenly too!) if you ever wave a knife in its general direction.

• Locked thread