Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Black Balloon posted:

The only problem with this game is the load times, specifically the battle transitions. Literally everything else is perfect. Consequently, play it on an emulator. Then the game is literally perfect.

A friend of mine was replaying this on his PS3 a while back, and I joked about load times being terrible. He disagreed, so when the next battle transition started I started my stopwatch.

36 seconds from the start of the battle transition to inputting his first action. And then I pointed out how slow the battle animations are for everyone, and I think I killed his enthusiasm for the game.

I really wish I could like this game, but I always found it an unplayable slog full of unlikeable characters. And throwing steal on the main character and having enemies with a ton of items to steal made a slow game even slower. The music kicked rear end though.

Still excited for the LP though, because I do want to see as much as the game as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I checked out the OC album but wasn't too impressed with what I've heard yet. KateTheGreat has a couple songs that I like on the album, but she has an excellent vocal version of Rose of May on the regular site. Speaking of, the album has technically sound version of Rose of May, but it takes a very emotional and contemplative song and takes all the heart out of it completely. That was my highlight disappointment.

I'm gonna check again to see if there are some other OC artists I can recognize to see if I can salvage the download.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
She shows up for the end anyways, but you don't need her as an active party member.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Beatrix is awesome. She's probably my favourite character in the entire cast of the game.

Never bought Kuja as a compelling villain though, which probably is one of the reasons I couldn't get through the game.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Kanfy posted:

I never considered Beatrix one of my favorite characters but she gets bonus points for all the great music her appearances usually come with.

That definitely biased my view of her, I'll admit.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

liquidypoo posted:

As a kid, I always thought the bandana over Beatrix's eye was a slab of stainless steel or something. Blurry PS1 textures on a CRT TV, etc.

You're not alone. I always saw it as some weird quarter helmet or something.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You're probably looking into Alexandria's succession politics infinitely more than the developers did.

The father was the king. His wife, the Queen, took over after his death. Garnet will succeed Brahne.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
This is real cool timing based on the latest FF XIV patch that came out a week ago. It shares a boss from this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The farthest I've ever gotten was just before Oeilvert, because for some reason neither the gameplay or story could really hook me into playing longer. Whenever Kuja sent me out I just said who gives a poo poo and quit. Apparently if I had just actually gone into that dungeon, I probably would have found enough of a reason to keep going. There's some pretty interesting backstory coming out of there.

• Locked thread