Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
I love FF9. It might not be my favorite game (Maybe not favorite FF either) but it's just so much fun, and I really enjoyed every minute of my playing it. It's so pretty and the characters are a lot of fun. It's one of the few games I will go back to playing when nostalgia hits. When I saw Mega64 was doing this, I won't deny my excitement. I'm going to be watching this one a whole lot!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Because FF9 was the first real time I was introduced to the idea of a genderless character, I can't get behind "they/them" and just go for "s/he" and "him/her" like the game did. Which I pronounce as "Sh-he" and "himher" really fast. I use it in my writing too and people get super pissy at me but what are you going to do.

I also do enjoy a lot of Quina's attacks. His/her skill set can be really fun and while I never used Him/her outside of when I had to (Original Four all the way baby), s/he makes a really good mage for when you want a Red Mage. S/he's the closest you're going to get to one.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

Honestly that is pretty clunky. They/them works way better. Or even 'made-up' pronouns like Xie/Xir or whatever. 'It' is kind of dehumanizing, which doesn't really work either.

Incidentally, it's way easier to keep a character's gender neutral in Japanese. As for other translations, they pretty much threw darts. Some kept Quina neutral, some gave Quina a gender. The German translation just makes them female, for instance.

I guess you're right about the xie/xir thing but when you take a word that everyone assumes "plural" and say it's singular, you get a lot of people getting confused, is it a typo or no? It may be clunky to write s/he but pronouncing it is pretty simple and even shows that the person is capable of being both, something that some genderfluid people might appreciate.

I don't mean to derail so I'll stop there. I just wanted to mention how *I* pronounced it given Mega64 had made mention about how he wondered about it.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
If you play Chocobo Hot and Cold enough you can start to notice that there are certain locations that they only spawn in. If you can remember the exact pixels where you dug up an item from around that area, you can start picking them up with incredible ease. Even if there are two in the general area, you can just hit the ground in one area, realize it's not it, and go to the next one. Memorizing the exact locations (not with a guide, just with how often I played the game) is the best way to get 8 items, and I can do it consistently with some of the earlier ones. The later ones I have to be a little more lucky.

Eventually I start getting angry when the Chocograph appears *before* the 4 item point bonus appears, because I'm going to get 8 items anyway, I just want to squeeze out a little extra points while I'm at it.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011

Petiso posted:

SadSteiner

I literally "Awwww :(" ed at that. All Steiner wants is for Garnet to tell him he did a good job... And to get Zidane out of their hair, but we'll wait for Hell to freeze over for that one.

• Locked thread