Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Oooh, there's so much I absolutely love about this game - the music, art direction, characters... I get that VII is like THE big name of the series but, to me, this one is the absolute best.

Reckon this one will take forever to run through everything but I'll keep tabs on it for my nostalgia fix!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Dastardly posted:

I dunno, XI sounds amazing to me. But sadly making a big, inconvenient and imbalanced mmo just isn't happening today.

In my opinion, the absolute best part of FFXI was the focus on story-based PvE content. I was BLM, SMN and BRD back in the old Remora server (/tarutarudance) back then so I managed to clear all the plots up until Aht Urgan (where I quit) and they were all an absolute blast - I especially liked how they chained the Zilart and CoP events together.

Mind you, Square was obviously treading new ground and that led to several questionable decisions:
  • Leveling was slooooooooooooooow. You needed to limit yourself to stuff on your level or get destroyed, which meant dozens of mooks for one level up. Oh, and you lost experience and could even de-level after death.
  • The game was hard! There were no fancy UI tricks or mods to help - you had to pay attention, know your stuff and the boss' or even regular story battles (which were often level-locked) would kick your rear end.
  • You required Alliances of 40-ish people to do anything significant in endgame.
  • Bosses with the better drops were world spawns which had 2-3 hour spawn windows at hidden corners of the world, surrounded by strong mobs, and they could spawn at any second in the given window. Also, bots were EVERYWHERE.
  • BIG bosses could take hours to down.
  • Crafting was a herculean effort to level, often costing a shitton of money to get to the point where it'd be profitable, and the recipes always carried a chance of outright failing and losing all your expensive materials. Mind you, you COULD also make an exceptional craft with better stats.
  • The economy suffered from inflation due to gold-farmers and, outside of crafting and hunting rare monsters (which had bots camping them), there wasn't really a reliable way of making money.

I could go on but, yes, it required a level of commitment that put even WoW to shame. Thankfully, I had an ingame group of mates to reliably run through the story stuff and it was all mostly good fun until the point where I had finished everything lore-related and the endgame grind wore me off.

IAmTheRad posted:

FFXI people seem to talk about it like it was the best MMO ever, but it was terrible. It's like an abusive relationship that you stuck with just to see if it got better, and you only remembered the good and not the torture it gave you. Dying in the Dunes as a member of Windurst and you couldn't use the crystal there to get points because Windurst didn't have control of the area.

I think you're misremembering something. Even if your nation didn't control the outposts, there was that port town in the dunes that had a crystal...or are you talking about that end-game desert region where Aspidochelon spawned?

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 25, 2015

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

He's talking about the nation points thing that you used to purchase stuff like your national Aketon for the slight movespeed bonus. It was never a very important element, but he's correct about how it worked.

Ah, I guess they added that after I quit. Back then it was just regular walking when you were far from a controlled crag or city with stables.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

I haven't heard a lot of people say 9 is better than 7. But it being better than 8 is just a matter of established fact.

The only reason I don't outright say 9 is the best final fantasy ever made is because I can't decide over it and 6.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

I want anime hair that never tangles, is light enough that you can grow it to your hips without ever being encumbered by it, and can be sliced apart like warm butter (and perfectly evenly too!) if you ever wave a knife in its general direction.

Have you seen the stuff FF weapons cut into? They're obvious made of special Fantasium, slicing diamond and bundles of hair with the greatest of ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

I am 100% positive that Nomura put that quest in simply to gently caress with completionists. Holy poo poo.

Did the PlayOnline guide even mention this?

• Locked thread