Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Basically you get titles for your card rank score, which is, at best:

10 points for each unique card (goblin, bomb, etc.)
+5 if that card also has a unique arrow arrangement
+2 if its attack type is A

There are other variations to this which amount to fewer points per card, like you can get points for the inferior attack type X, or for duplicate cards with unique arrows. However, there are 100 unique cards and you can hold a max of 100 cards, so the idea is that you want one of each card, with a unique arrow arrangement, and all of them with attack type A. This gives you 17 points per card times 100 cards for a potential max of 1700 total points.

At various point totals you get titles shown on the card screen. For example, 0 to 299 is Beginner, 300 to 399 is Novice, and so on. Someone who adopts a reasonable compromise goal of going for all 100 unique cards but giving zero shits about arrows or attack types will have somewhere over 1000 points (because they'll accidentally get a number of unique arrows and good attack types in the process).

The title for 1690 to 1697 is Pro.
The title for 1698 to 1699 is Master.
The title for a perfect 1700 is Would you like to discard this card? (This is the same text shown if you actually try to discard a card.)

While you could construe that as a joke about how someone getting there has clearly spent too much time playing the game, it's more clearly a case of the programmers not properly testing their boundary conditions, resulting in a glitched string lookup for the text to display for the perfect score.

Handily, almost nobody is crazy enough to go for such a thing legitimately, so it's generally only seen by people who use a GameShark or equivalent to give themselves a 1700-point set of cards.

Vil fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I'm a much bigger fan of RTA speed runs rather than segmented ones. The rolling with the punches makes the RTAs a lot more interesting.

For most people though, my advice on the sort of stuff from that guide is to do one of the following:

1. Completely ignore the benefits of level avoidance on stat gains, and of getting through the game really fast.
2. Bust out cheating options to have your cake and eat it too (e.g. reset levels but not cumulative stat gains, reset game timer).

There's also the option of doing that sort of poo poo legit for the personal pride in doing so, but it'll really only be personal pride: don't expect most other people to think it was a valuable use of your time.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Sum Mors posted:

That's what makes me so sad to play FFXIV. It's a great game. I love it. But sooooo much of the player base is what I can only call "perfect target audience". They'll harp on and on about how FFXI (one of the worst mmos of all time) was great, what with its pathetic player base and its insanely bad design. While any game will have something good about it, I'm not sure anyone can legitimately claim FFXI was a "good" game unless you are specifically into masochism.

I haven't really had that experience. I do occasionally encounter people waxing nostalgic about 11, but I more often encounter people going "gently caress that noise, it's so nice that 14 doesn't have all that bullshit 11 did". And far more often than either of those, I encounter people who have no experience with 11 at all, outside of possible hearsay.

That said, 11's gotten much, much more accessible and reasonable in the past few years. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it in a vacuum (because there's still some underlying bullshit, just not nearly as egregious as it used to be), but at this point it might be worth considering playing through it for its various major stories, and then dropping it like a hot potato before getting into any sort of endgame gear grind.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

David Corbett posted:

Is FFXI still brutally racist? That was something that really struck me about it when I played ... More than a decade ago ...

Well I mean, the tarus do exist to be punted, and to stealthily slash your Achilles tendon in return...

If you're referring to the whole thing where certain races were heavily disfavored for certain roles (e.g. galkas for casters or tarus for tanks), then no, that's pretty much meaningless now. Current gear has so many stat boosts on it that racial differences are negligible, and HP and MP were evened out tremendously between races so there's no longer a terribly big difference.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Oh right, that. Forgot about that. Yeah, that was definitely A Thing back in those days.

These days I don't think it's so much a case of enforced language exclusivity, as it is a case that people will naturally tend to congregate towards grouping with players they can easily talk with. On top of that, there's a shift towards doing content with a smaller number of players, or even solo/duo, which affords less opportunity for it even to be an issue.

I can't speak for other people, but when I log on to the game I just run with friends and it doesn't matter to me what the rest of the server is doing. When people do shouts they still use autotranslate and I can't recall the last time I saw "JP ONLY" or "NA ONLY". After all, if you're doing something that requires genuine coordination you'll draw on your existing social contacts (with whom you can presumably communicate just fine), and if you're doing something that just requires a lot of bodies then it doesn't really matter.

There doesn't seem to be too much current focus on things that require both bodies and coordination, or if there is, it's not something that a majority of players are heavily engaged in.

As for world-spawn NM camping, rejoice - there's been a heavy shift away from that particular flavor of bullshit.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

If you cancelled your subscription after the renewal date which was the same for everyone, you still paid the full cost of that month and your subscription was cancelled immediately. You couldn't play until the next renewal date, because your ended your subscription. The best time to end your subscription would be the last day of the subscription month. And if you wanted to return to the game after a break, you better start at the beginning of the subscription month or else you're shafted those extra days because if you, say, wanted to return to the game on the 20th of the month, you had to pay the full price for the month. The only time they didn't charge you full price was once, when you started the game up for the first time and they just did a fractional amount for the remaining time of the month after the 30 day trial.

Your billing complaint here is only half true, specifically the half about "subscribe at any point during a month and you pay for the full calendar month, whether it's the 1st or the 30th." Which, yes, was dumb. And yes, at some point in the meantime they changed it to a more sensible system that prorated it based on the number of days remaining in the month.

However, the game never - to my knowledge - had the other issue you claim with cancelling a subscription immediately while still keeping the time/money you paid for. When you cancelled your sub, your character went from an "active" status to a "to be cancelled" status, and then when the end of the month rolled around, any "to be cancelled" characters changed to "cancelled". Thing is though, you could still play a "to be cancelled" character just fine in the interim before it was actually "cancelled" at the end of the month.

I've cancelled and reactivated characters many times over the life of the game - early on, during the WotG dreary lulls, and off and on since then when I've played for a month or two at a time - and never once had the issue you describe where the "to be cancelled" character was immediately unplayable even before the paid-for period had ended. Just like any other sub-based MMO I've played, I had access to the game for the remainder of the time I'd already paid for.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Okay, that is goddamn adorable. :3:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Not going to lie, the last time I played IX, I just hacked Excalibur II into my inventory and said to hell with it. :v:

...drat, now I want to replay IX again.

Similar, but I hacked my game clock instead. I don't personally have the patience for a perfect game, or even Excalibur 2 or level 1 run shenanigans in a vacuum without all the other stuff. But I do respect the patience of those who do feel like spending some of their leisure time working on a long and often tedious project like that.

But personally I'd rather have the option of taking my time, not worrying about not killing things, and not having to mash through cutscenes and avoid exploring towns in a charming game world.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

33 here!

The young whippersnapper goons may share our enjoyment of FF9 so long as they provide cookies and remember Doctor Tot.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Thanks for all your LPs over the years. You've always kept to a really good standard of quality, which naturally entails a lot of behind-the-scenes effort.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

U.T. Raptor posted:

I think that worm boss and the previous worm boss might be the same creature, since it has "imago" in its name, and that makes me wonder if the other boss's name is supposed to be Rahvularva.

Good catch. We also see the R/L mistranslation much later with a boss on disc 4.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

MightyPretenders posted:

If you don't do Ramuh's sidequest, Peridots quietly have the Ramuh ability removed. So yes, it does lock you out of getting him.

No, no they don't. No items have their available abilities changed for any reason.

It's quite possible to skip this sidequest, get a Peridot as an enemy drop or a synthesized item later in the game, and learn Ramuh that way. Recommended, outside of a speedrun, probably not. But possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The PC release has a fast-forward option. This applies to, among other things, battle intros/outros.

• Locked thread