Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
See, BW#1 and Sealion aren't really all that dangerous. It's not hard to have enough potions to survive, and all you really have to do is wait for Trance to come up - and it doesn't take long. Not at this level. Not with as much damage as those two can dish. If you're playing properly (aka thoroughly exploring the dungeon and getting all the junk) you should have at least one Mage MAsher by now which means Tidal Flame is available and that solves the battle for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I love the whole airship sequence. Evil Forest, Ice Cavern, Dali, they're all lead-in, tutorial, and getting you comfortable with the game, with the only real whammy coming right at the end of Dali.

The airship sequence is where things really start. Steiner gets his first opportunity to do something other than scream "princess" and "castle" all the time. Vivi is smacked in the face with the fact that there are not only others like him, but that some of them are goddamn cruel and he ain't gonna take it. Zidane's as cheerful and optimistic as ever, and nicely supportive of both Garnet and Vivi without being annoying or sappy about it. And Garnet? Gets to fly a damned airship during one of the best cutscenes in a game filled with excellent cutscenes.

Sure, as a sequence it's only a few minutes long and consists of just a bit of dialogue, a boss battle, and two FMVs, but the space is so well used. Excellent writing, translation, use of music, along with great animation... It exemplifies what makes this game so good. (And a large part of why I will always consider this game to be the best Final Fantasy.)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
If I remember correctly, the correct path to save everyone during the invasion also mirrors the path of the guided tour when you first arrive? But yeah, there's also the priests running off-screen just as you arrive, so if you're paying attention you have another hint.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Fossil Roo is kind of the most obtuse and frustrating puzzle-area in the game in general, with other areas being less annoying, largely because they don't have the gargants to ride. Also, Zidane and Dagger could ride the gargant, and maybe Vivi, but I fail to see how they got Quina around on those things.

Still, I have the solution to the place memorized. I've played this game too many times.

Mug's damage is sadly stupidly weak. I always found better uses for my support crystals.

Dagger's Trance, Eidolon, is actually pretty drat handy, once you start getting enough gems to make summoning worthwhile. It'd be handier if it was triggered instead of being wasted most of the time, though...

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Finally, Eiko is a far more believable 10 year old, well into that massive brat stage. You could probably age everyone 3-5 years and have 0 downsides.

This is actually what I usually go with, mentally, for this game.

Also it's not uncommon for me to run both Eiko and Dagger. It's overkill on the white magic but I love summons, even if they're not really the most optimal way to kick rear end in this game.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

EponymousMrYar posted:

Even then I think his Dyne abilities ignore defense anyway and do enough damage to one or two-shot Scarlet Hair here. His latest ones should definitely be hitting the damage cap by now.

Also the summoner's village jewel is pretty alike to Garnets. Huh.

Not only that, but we know from earlier in the game that Garnet's jewel is similar to the Lindblum Falcon's Claw. So that's three very similar jewels.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Mega64 posted:

Pretty much, except the new dog had a longer tail so they chopped it short and hoped no one would notice.

You'd think the public would make a bigger deal about the princess having a gaping wound on her forehead but I guess it never came up.

She was six. Kids fall and hit their heads on things all the time.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
This whole thing is seriously one of the very best sequences in the game, and to me, in the series. There's so much going on and it's all very well-paced, with one of the best soundtracks in the series. It all works just so well.

Bahamut's attack and defeat, only for Kuja's apparent master to appear and destroy not just Alexander but Alexandria as well, interspersed with the battle in town, the summoning itself, and even Kuja being truly disturbed for the very first time...

The look Garnet has when she sees Zidane, and again when she realizes he's saved her - it's great. I don't think any of the other games portray emotion as well as this game does.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
This section of the game may be "padding" but it's there to be a breather after the events in Alexandria - and the reveal of Dagger's new malady. It also provides a good chance to have you wander around town and see some of the characters you met previously, providing a sense of continuity. It's not even that long - even if you have no idea who has them, there's not that many people in the town and they're easy enough to locate. Plus, it's a deliberate chance for you to refresh your gear, buy inventory, and hit up the synth shop while you're running around, so you're not having to go out of your way to do so.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I love Chocobo Hot and Cold but I've never put this much into it this early - I usually wait until later. With the stuff you just got, the next few sections are gonna be pretty damned easy, relatively.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
So, yeah. In a game crammed full of excellent music, both the ultimate and penultimate battles have amazing tracks.

With both Kuja and Necron, the real issue is that if you aren't prepared and don't work at keeping on the offense, it can be very easy to fall into rounds of defensive and healing actions, where you will, ultimately, inevitably, be overwhelmed. This is even more true with Necron than Kuja, thanks to Grand Cross.

The 55k hp is a fine amount of health even for final/superbosses, since this game is basically nil on multi-hit attacks and there's no way to exceed the 9999 damage cap (and it's kind of a pain in the rear end to guarantee hitting that cap without quite a bit of grinding). Most of the time, without grinding, you can most easily do between 5 and 8k damage per power move. Even on the low end, that's only 11 or 12 hits to kill a boss, without healing. But since there are so many ways to instakill the group or individuals, you're basically always using at least one character for healing, raising, or other defensive actions.

Plus, battles lasting literally hours is stupid and exhausting. There's no reason for that ridiculousness.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

ApplesandOranges posted:

Sure there is, it's called Dbl Black/White. :smuggo: It's much easier to do with Eiko than Vivi, since Necron has weaknesses to both Wind and Holy.

Alternatively, there's also Charge!. Of course, that's very risky with Necron's plethora of hit-all attacks, but a team of Zidane/Steiner/Freya/Amarant well geared with MP Attack and Bird Killer can rapidly melt through his health.

Dbl white/black requires manipulating Trance bars and is a pain in the rear end. The Charge strategy is better, but incredibly risky. But still, that's basically three ways to do multi-hits, and none of the dozens of other methods of dealing damage do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Thanks for the LP, Mega. It was well done, and this is one of my favorite games ever (and always my pick for best FF game, with 6 behind it.)

• Locked thread