Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

I love how Baku just inexplicably has a Queen Brahne doll here. :allears:

... I love a lot of things about this game, in fact. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

idonotlikepeas posted:

One day I may play this and not rename Vivi to Orko.

...nah.

Why not? You have the power. :v:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Welp, you know your chainmail hobby is getting out of hand when you feel the need to comment on it for a Final Fantasy game, but....

Seriously, look at his upper arm there. Those rings are frigging massive! Especially compared to his coif, which is more normal-sized.

Also, regarding the soundtrack...

FeyerbrandX posted:

I hate you all for reminding me that every choice I make for the best song is wrong, even all the choices are right.

This, basically. :v:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Ahh, there's no capital I at the end of the video ID.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Jesus, he looks like he's going to eat the Theater Ship whole, here. :stare:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Mega64 posted:

It would've been a fantastic touch if the SFX spells actually did damage to Steiner because he's dumb enough to believe they're attacking him with actual magic.

Instead, he mocks you for attacking him with special effects.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Plus, even if you do trigger Trance in a boss fight, usually you still won't be doing anything with it because you haven't finished stealing yet.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Alxprit posted:

There's really nothing in vanilla FF6 that loops its HP if you bring it down to 0? It's definitely possible to do that if you wanted to.

Kaiser and Omega in the remakes, IIRC.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

So yeah, BW#1 and Sealion are a very nasty surprise for this stage of the game. You've been coasting alone, one-shotting any enemy that even looks at you wrong. Then the game removes three of your party members and has you fight solos against a pair of bosses, one of whom will heal and revive the other, and said other boss getting more powerful attacks as it gets weaker. If you didn't take the time to understand Trance, row placement, or actually using items to heal, this becomes a roadblock pretty early.

Compare that to FFVII, where they gave you the hilariously weak Air Buster, or FFVIII, who throws you the bumbling Biggs and Wedge followed by the boring Elvoret fight.

Doubly so if your first time playing through was as a dumb kid who thought that Steal and treasure chests only got you worthless crap like potions.

Still not sure how I managed to beat it with only the Dagger.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

How about instead of just a Trance Wasted counter, keep track of both wasted and useful Trances. I would love to see that ratio.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

While the classic thing is to name the princess "Garnet", it gets funnier if you name her "Princess". :v:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

NO GODDAMMIT GITAN DON'T CRIT ON THE THIRD ATTACK gently caress!!

Challenge runs of all sorts are more enjoyable when the RNG has no say in whether or not you fail.

More enjoyable to play, anyway. Watching someone else.... well, there's a reason the word "schadenfreude" exists, after all. :getin:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Bufuman posted:

One of these days I'll get on inventing that device that identifies the gender of everyone on the internet. I'll be rich! Up until I'm murdered by a horde of angry GIRLs that got pissed that I killed their trolling gimmick, but so it goes.

Problem with that is that for most goons, it'll just return "porpoise".

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Black Waltz 3's "Oh poo poo" face is always fantastic. :allears:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

If you step outside of Final Fantasy, there're a few characters in Chrono Cross who are literally born/hatched/created in the same cutscene where they join the party.

Also, Relm is, like, six, isn't she? Older than the Mysidia Twins, but still younger than Vivi.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

FinalGamer posted:

cue hilarious confusing moments like the Spanish translation of FF7 calling Aeris both a "he" AND a "she" in the same scene.

Considering the English translation implies that she was chilling out in a flower patch in the slums when a church suddenly fell on top of her.... :v:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

kalonZombie posted:

Yes, but you miss out on a very important key item later, because technically Cinna never tries to make the coffee.

And any outcome that leads to less coffee is a Bad Outcome. :colbert:

Lindblum is usually where my desire to keep replaying the game tanks, though. There's just so goddamn much to do and see, and it makes me realize how much longer the game is, and crap, I like watching the ATEs, but I think I've already spent enough time to lock myself out of Excalibur II, and....

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Zidane's animation is appropriately theatrical. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

It's okay, dude. We've all done embarrassing things in the past. No need to get all defensive about it.

• Locked thread