Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

That's right, embrace the cute. Embrace it. You know you want to.
I'm aware that it's probably heresy, but I did like Tetra Master. I never did get one of every card, but I do like the designs on them. Some of the ones you can get are really pretty. Good to see an LP of one of my favorite FF games. I used to lose hours just playing around with sidequests. So it'll be fun to see how you tackle them, Mega. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

Read the latest update, and nope, my love for this game hasn't died in the least. It only grows more. :allears: And I didn't notice that Freya tried to stand back up, or that Vivi's hat caught the table and held him up some, that's a neat little detail. As is all the extra dialog, which, admittedly, I didn't know existed 'cause hey, plot happened, I wanted to keep it going. Nice to see what I've missed, so thanks. :D

In a way, I applaud Dagger for wanting to save her mother. Admittedly, my first playthrough, I just thought she went about it in a stupid way, especially as there was no guarantee that Brahne would even listen to her. Now it's more like "Okay, she's come for help, and she'll get it, but they're insisting on treating her like she doesn't know what she's doing, (which is slightly true) and that's not what she wants, she's taking matters into her own hands." If nothing else, she's certainly proactive.

In regards to the low level game: Orange Fluffy Sheep, I applaud your determination, and wish you all the luck and success in the world.

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

"This guy has the hair of Sephiroth, the theatricality of Kefka, the androgyny of Emperor Mateus, and the utter glee from being evil of Exdeath."

That is the BEST description of Kuja ever. He literally just oozes drama. And man, disc 1 seems to fly by before you realize it. From theater ship, to a creepy wood where a friend gets turned to stone saving you, to a town with an underground factory, to a town within a castle, and then to a destroyed, broken kingdom of eternal rain. And then you throw down with a lady who is so well-known that even a guard clearly goes "...wait, WHAT?! OH CRAP."

I forgot how much stuff is packed into just the first disc. I want to say disc 2 lightens in tone, but then I remember that we still don't know what's happening to Dagger and Steiner after they get on the train, and then this whole business with Cleyra, which is where the game is clearly pushing us. Looking forward to seeing what things I missed, or just plain didn't catch when I first played. And yes, Kuja wins all the awards for the sheer 'wtf-ery' of his outfit, 'cause a metal thong CANNOT be comfortable.

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

Oeilvert always felt like a grind to me, for some reason. Or maybe it was the walk to get there, I dunno. But I did like the music and the new part of the story we get. This next part though, SCREW THAT. :argh: ALWAYS hated that dungeon. Which reminds me that I was playing it at night and therefore made it creepy for myself. But the hate remains to this day, just the same.

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

And we have hit the dungeon I hate. All that running around and deactivating the bloodstones and lighting the drat candles and the shadows and THAT STUPID MINIGAME. UGGGGGGGH. :arghfist: It felt tedious to me. ( It didn't help that when I first played this, I was using the ff9 brady guide and playonline, but we've already covered the faults about that.) Still, I had a hard time with this dungeon when I was younger. The boss wasn't that hard, though, I've never played it without getting all the bloodstones. I think my party was all mages? God, I'm almost tempted to go find my copy and replay this game. Except CH&C would eat my soul. :sweatdrop: Loving each update Mega, gonna be fun to see how you run through the lost continent, as the music and atmosphere are some of my favorites.

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

Okay, I didn't know you could inflict Heat on Taharka and beat them that way, I always just did physicals and magic, never really bothered with status effects. Learn something new each day! I DID know you could eat the Earth Guardian, and I think you learn a blue magic from him if you don't already have it? I can't remember, and I'm too lazy to go look it up.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Steiner saying "I trust you, Vivi" is so small, yet one of my favorite moments in the game. It's so sweet and so earnest, a rare thing coming from Steiner. It's also the last time Vivi isn't confident in his abilities, and I love that they chose Steiner to be there for that instead of Zidane. This is the only time their bond is front and center, and it's just great.
Agreed. We're shown that they work well together, and this brings it home.

Gotta love Amarant finally realizing his 'lone wolf' act doesn't really do him any favors. Do agree the boss fights are awesome, love the music. Ispen's Castle isn't that bad if you know what to and where to go so you streamline everything. As for the low level weapons, that was actually useful, I hoard everything but weapons, which has been known to kick me in the rear end sometimes, go figure. :cheeky:

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Before I go to Terra, I want to get 99 of every Summon gemstone.

Unfortunately, you only get 11 Aquamarines in-game and no enemy's drop it. This means I need to farm 385 Ores to get Leviathan up to max damage.

:shepicide:

O_o good luck, dude. I once grinded for gears for the gold weapons in Ratchet and Clank, but I never cared much about summons in this game.

I always liked the way you enter Terra, it's so pretty and very odd at the same time. "HEY, LET'S JUMP OFF AN AIRSHIP SO WE CAN USE THE PORTAL TO ANOTHER WORLD, NOTHING BAD WILL HAPPEN!" That being said, Bran Bal and that mysterious blonde all add weight to the hammer that's beating you over the head about what Zidane is, but at least it doesn't outright tell you, the pieces are there for you to make sense of. Or try to, anyway. And yes, Eiko remains the best. "What a bimbo!" indeed, where does a 6-year old kid learn that? :cheeky:

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

Glad I'm not the only one who sees Kuja destroying Terra as a giant temper tantrum. That said, I don't remember having much trouble with the boss fights, but I DO know I got hit with a flare star at least once, I think I had reflect or something rolling, so yeah. And I never noticed that Kuja floats down from the Invincible, guess I just didn't pay attention. Learning lots of new things from this LP!

Garland just had backup plan after backup plan though, and they kinda bit him in the rear end. Make Kuja , but his soul too strong? No prob, make Zidane as a replacement! Zidane gets dumped on Gaia by his jealous as gently caress brother? Pffft, give Mikoto a soul so she can replace the other two just in case.

Second prototype comes back? "So hey, you were supposed to be my new angel of death on Gaia, but apparently that's not happening, and you're getting too uppity, let's try to yank your soul out and wipe you." Your original warmonger comes back? Ha, tell him "Yo, you ain't immortal, you were too dangerous for that, by the way your life span is short, you gonna die soon, you were only supposed to last until Zidane grew up." Cue temper tantrum and the destruction of Terra by Kuja, good job there Garland.

I like how Zidane points out that even though the genomes are just blank slates, they still don't deserve to die. Spoken like a true hero. A nice touch is that even the genomes in the tanks are gone. Mega, am I right in assuming you don't get into any fights on the way back to Bran Bal? Since it's strictly a scripted event? Dagger being fearless, and Zidane managing to spit out 'thank you' was cute and a nice bit of levity after all the heavy drama that just occurred. And Quina and Stiltzkin can't die, they survive EVERYTHING. Hell, Cleyra being destroyed didn't do it, what makes y'all think Terra could? :colbert:

Also, bit late, but I still love You're Not Alone, it got stuck in my head for ages. Oh Disc 4, bring on your madness! Bring on the rest of the game! Bring on whatever you have left to throw at us! Besides the hidden super boss, which I have never managed to beat, ever. :argh: And something that makes me giggle is when Kuja tells Garland that Zidane intends to fight Terra, like he's tattling or something. "DAAAAAAAD, ZIDANE SAID HE'S GONNA FIGHT TERRAAAA, I'M GONNA GO BEAT HIM UP FOR THAT."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

Thanks for a wonderful and fun LP, Mega! Glad you resumed it after all. Half tempted to dig out my copy and my ps2, and give it another whirl, as I don't have a Vita and I don't know if the Steam version is any good. FF9 is my fave game of the series, I love it so much.

Thoughts on everything: Memoria is still creepy, but in that ancient way where you really feel like you're setting foot in a place you shouldn't, and the music still lingers in my head. Necron was a pain in the rear end, I lived in fear of Grand Cross because that always screwed me up, and I had to rush to fix the damage. Dark Messenger is another one of those epic songs that just FITS, because Kuja's trying to destroy everything, so what better way to do it than to a kick-rear end song.

I am NEVER doing the drat Nero brothers sidequest, I prefer to run through Memoria ONCE, thank you. I didn't know that thing about Ozma always getting a turn after you, so that's good to know if I decide to fight him again. The ending though, the ending is much like the game itself, a bit light-hearted, but also serious at times. Zidane is still a dramatic mofo, the reveal was perfect. Steiner and Beatrix hooking up, we saw coming a mile away. XD Until awhile afterwards, I didn't realize it was Vivi speaking there at the end, which kinda punches you. But hey, the poor guy lived how he wanted, it all worked out, and he's got kids to carry on his legacy! :3:

....I kinda want an avatar now, thanks to this thread. Not much else I can say that hasn't already been said, so once again, thanks Mega. And ORANGE FLUFFY SHEEP, YOU'RE A MADMAN, I LOOK FORWARD TO THE NEXT COUPLE UPDATES ON THE LEVEL ONE GAME. Let's see you handle the endgame. :allears:

• Locked thread