Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
Just wanted to chime in and say that this is a fantastic LP so far. FFIX is my personal favourite RPG and I'm glad to see it getting the love it deserves in this thread.

Nice job on the level 1 game so far as well OFS. I've tried the challenge twice myself without using guides. So far the furthest I've gotten is the last area of disc 3 (veteran players probably know which place I'm talking about). I'm stoked to see what solutions you can come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
Remember how Cid mentioned Alexandria wouldn't dare make a move as long as Lindblum had their airship fleet? Yeah, that was what the black mages were targeting at the start. Lindblum was completely unprepared for this due to sending their Alexandrian border patrol to assist Burmecia.

One minor thing, after getting Ramuh. If you return to the moogle instead of going forward, he will have recieved a Stiltzkin letter.

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
Yeah, this part is tricky and requires some luck even with the right preparation. My first level 1 run attempt ended here, but at least I learned two valuable lessons: One, always stock up on Phoenix Downs, shops aren't always available. Two, rotate your saves, idiot.

Nice job on fighting Beatrix head on, I never have the guts. My preferred method is cowering behind four Coral Rings until she gets bored.

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012

Bufuman posted:

Does it now? I could've sworn you could still get in. I know you can at least reach the entrance because that's where one of the moogles for the Mognet sidequest resides. I do recall seeing a stipulation that Quina has to be in your party to get there, was s/he on your team when you tested that out?
That moogle normally resides somewhere else, Lindblum Castle I think. Fossil Roo is definitely inaccessible after a certain point.

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
Yeah, "You don't need a reason to help people" and all that. That's really the kind of protagonist I can get behind.

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Are you sure that you delivered all my mail to my friends?
Of course I did! You sent out 4.

Yeah, it's not really surprising now why we have to pick up the slack for this joker.

Hey, he tries his best. The dialogue here changes slightly depending on how many Stiltzkin letters you've read. In this case, you missed 2 of them.

FIrst, in Pinnacle Rocks if you back right after the Ramuh sidequest:

GameFAQs posted:

When you want to exit Pinnacle Rocks, you will be given the option to leave
Pinnacle Rocks, or to stay. Stay in Pinnacle Rocks and go back to Monty.
He will say he’s just received a letter from Stiltzkin.

Monty: Kupo! This letter is tattered... It's from... Stiltzkin, kupo. I'm
scared. Read it along with me?
|
| This...
|
| might be...
|
| the end of me...
|
----------------------------------------------------------
Monty: What's wrong!? Kupo! What happened to Stiltzkin!?

And the second letter, after Zidane's storytime in Black Mage Village:

GameFAQs posted:

Later, in the Black Mage Village you find Mogryo. He’s just received a
letter from Stiltzkin.

Mogryo: It's a letter from Stiltzkin! Let's read it together! Kupo!
|
| I’m becoming familiar with the geography of
| the Outer Continent. My destination
| is Conde Petie.
|
| They exchange a special greeting
| with each other before entering
| the village… what was it?
|
| I think it was “Rally-ho!”
---------------------------------------------------------
Mogryo: It's actually 'Rally-kupo!' Kupo! Stiltzkin is so funny!

The reward for finding all of them? Stilitzkin responds with "That's right" instead. :shobon:

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
Incidentally, does anyone know how the scene plays out if you haven't seen a single letter?

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
Worst part is, the Brigandine gives Zidane enough defense to survive a sweep. Shame it's lying at the bottom of the tree instead of the top, eh?

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
I like the idea of Kuja's full name being Kuja King. I don't know if it has been mentioned already but the Japanese word for peacock is kujaku. King of Peacocks, that sounds about right.

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
Tantarian here is another reference to an earlier game in the series. In FFV, you encounter these enemies in the Library of the Ancients:

They are all pictured on the different sides of the book, there the mask on the front, the demon on the spine, the spider on the back and the face inside.

This section of the game is one of the most memorable sequences of the series for me, from the presentation of the FMVs, the music and the new plot threads popping up all at once. FFIX is fantastic with its use of leitmotifs and I love how Sword of Doubt, Rose of May and now The Thing I Must Protect use the same melody but brings out completely different emotions.

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
Neat, that's the first time I've seen that Quina scene. I just run straight to the boat every time I play this game and Quina manages to catch up to you by themselves.

Schwartzcough posted:

See, it's stuff like this that makes me suspect it wasn't Quina at the very beginning of the game in Alexandria castle being the chef. Quina is supposed to be ignorant of a lot of food because he hadn't really left the marshes before. I don't know how he'd end up being the royal chef if he hadn't heard of a pickle...

I think I'm thinking about video games too hard.
I like to think that it actually is Quina in the kitchen. Not as the royal chef or anything, just ending up there from wandering around like usual.

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
Apart from trances like double black / white magic, I think Charge! is the only multihit move in the game. It takes some setting up but it's certainly a nice option to have.

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
One tidbit about this game is that every character skips their end of battle victory animation depending on their emotional state at the time. I believe this point is where Amarant starts using his for the first time since he joined, which is a nice touch. He's finally a real part of the team :unsmith:

Southhouse- fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 22, 2016

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
Best part about TAY is where you would just game over if you didn't bring the right party members to certain boss fights.

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Next time, my favorite part of the game.

Seconded, except replace "game" with "series".

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Not only that, but I think this is the point where Kuja drops all of the theatrical language and just begins speaking normally.

This is interesting since it implies that theatrical and flamboyant Kuja is him at least partially putting on an act.

It does makes sense that he tries to stand out as much as possible. He hates the idea of him being just another genome to the point where he completely denies it, telling himself that he is destined for greatness.

Garland of course doesn't feel any threatened by what he views as one of his tools, and I like how he makes it clear that Kuja can believe he's special all he wants as long as he just does his job.

That scene between them is great for many reasons. I like how Garland gets taken down a peg after completely underestimating both of his tools and Kuja is just so elated at achieving greatness at last. And then the immediate stinger that he has a built in lifespan like all of the other genomes. Just like the black mages he made fun of earlier. Seeing Kuja snap and drop his mask before quietly destroying his entire homeworld was pretty chilling the first time I saw it.

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
Of all the FMVs in this game, that one is my favourite. It just syncs up so well with the music which is a stellar track on its own, and I love how everyone shows that they have our backs even though the party decided to try and not get anyone involved.

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
That Ark summoning animation is cool but boy is that damage underwhelming when skills like Dragon's Crest exist. At least Eden let you break the damage limit in VIII.

About the Excalibur II, when you pick it up it also comes with a message:

"To Brother Gil

Bro, I found the sword, like you told me.
But there were two.
One of' em had a lame name, Something II.
It was a dingy, old thing with flashy decorations, something you'd probably like.
So I went with Excalipur.
I'll be back after I find the Tin Armor.

Enkido"

So yeah, the implication is that Gilgamesh comes and takes the sword if you take too long I guess.

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012

I really appreciate how Quina can swim (and drown) in midair through the power of imagination. I wonder if it's just another effect of Memoria or if Qus actually have special imagination powers. Quan believed he could live on imaginary food so maybe it's a possibility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
This is one of the few games that still holds up for me even after playing through it like 10+ times.

Thank you Mega and OFS, this LP has been a real treat.

• Locked thread