Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Oh how lovely, a FF9 let's play. I have a copy of this game myself, got it just a short while ago, and it is a nice game. The music is good, the story is good, and the graphics are beautiful. There are something that made me want to pull my hair through, but overall, I like this game. I'm looking forward to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Oh Steiner, you big goofball. :)

And lucky you, I tried for an hour to get that 100 nobles, only got to 90 once. The timing on that is so tight.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

No, that is indeed Quana. S/he talks about cooking in Alexandria multiple times.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Ah, yes. This is one of the best sequences in the game. You see the characters and how they are in just a few moments near perfectly.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I like to think of it as Gameplay vs Story. I don't think Steiner or Zidane are as weak as they are at the start of the game, as Steiner has nearly two decades of experience in combat and training while Zidane is a seasoned thief. Steiner might be a buffoon, but he's a very driven buffoon.

But yea, even 15-20 years ago, Steiner winning a duel against someone many people speak of as being incredibly powerful has to be dumb luck.

My thought on the matter, it was a bit of luck. Namely the fact that Steiner can trance, which is quite a rare ability. He was so worked up over the fight that he went into trance and was able to win that way. It would explain why he is the guy who explains trance in the evil forest.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Should I point out that after a point, Beatrix loses to the monsters Kuju calls up. The monsters that you take down and then you go on to take down stronger ones.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Garnet doesn't know how to give her summons longer range, Bahamut can fly out of their reach and rain down death on Alexandria.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

The deviating from the plan is Kuja's plan to take Alexander away and have it beat up Garland.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I did like the fact of when we see Kuja in that qte, if you look closely, you can see that a lot of his outfit is stained and smoke is coming off him.
And now comes a chance to get a party the way you want it to be.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Southhouse- posted:

That scene between them is great for many reasons. I like how Garland gets taken down a peg after completely underestimating both of his tools and Kuja is just so elated at achieving greatness at last. And then the immediate stinger that he has a built in lifespan like all of the other genomes. Just like the black mages he made fun of earlier. Seeing Kuja snap and drop his mask before quietly destroying his entire homeworld was pretty chilling the first time I saw it.

More of just the black mages actually. Garland implies that Zidane and the rest of genomes are not going to die of age, just have their minds/souls replaced with the people of Terra. Kuja is the only one of them with a bit in time limit, because Kuja was too untrustworthly and Garland wouldn't want his makers to be at risk when they are restored.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

A fun detail, at one time, Hades was to be the final boss. However, they changed their minds and so he is only a bonus boss.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Why was there an Eidolon inside of a Terran building anyway?

Because Ark is a Terran Eidolon. Well, that would be the most logical guess for why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

See what I mean when I said Hades was supposed to be the final boss at first? Necron is one of those 'death is an end to bad things' and 'my purpose is to cause death'. Something that would fit the god of the dead, no?

And it looks like Square decided to reuse that idea, given that this is Seymour's idea in FFX.

• Locked thread