Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.
So I finally finished up reading the current updates for the thread and that part on the airship with black watlz and the black mages protecting vivi still hurts like it did several years ago. Ouch. :smith:

Otherwise, it's nice to revisit this game. I first played it back in high school when I borrowed it from a former friend. Unfortunately, said friend was an rear end, so about the only sidequest I even did was the Mognet one and the chocobo one; and I felt rushed to finish up the rest of the game ASAP because the lender wouldn't get off my rear end about it. I now regret not stealing from every boss early in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Is Gottfried a big Metal Gear fan, or is that just a REALLY good impersonator? Either way, I'm dying over here.

Bad Seafood posted:

See, I think it's the exact opposite: the power of Stewart's voice would serve well to enhance Steiner's buffoonery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEZcslNOEBg

And now I'm sold on Steiner being Stewart.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

mauman posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any rpgs (or hell, games in general) where the hippy/back-to-nature faction are the bad guys and the techno-guys are the good guys?

Cuz that would be awesome :allears:

I think Nier counts, if I remember correctly. Why exactly that is, however, is spoilers everywhere; and requires a New Game +.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

I rather like Drakengard's soundtrack, after getting into classical music a bit more. It's a bit of fun to pick out the different songs that were remixed into the soundtrack.

ultrafilter posted:

If you can listen to the bells without having unpleasant feelings, you're either way better at rhythm games than I am, or you just never played that part.

After a few years of listening to it on an MP3 player, the pain subsided.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Winklebottom posted:

I love Kuja but I always wondered why he has two feathers growing in the middle of his head.

It could just be something he wears, a la a weave?

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

So I finally caught up with the new updates and I have two things to say:

1) I'm really happy that the thread is up and running again. I stopped by because I was looking for a gif of Vivi, and this was a pleasant surprise.
2)
I don't remember this theme at all, but goodness does it sound pretty.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Shiki Dan posted:

Rydia disagrees.

Rydia was also working with better color coordination. Green and Gold look a lot nicer together than lemon yellow and lilac.

Also, now that I think about it - Final Fantasy loves girls in leotards; especially for the designs in the ones prior to 7.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

This is my favorite part of the game coming up. For me it's when it really starts getting interesting.

What, the Black Mage village didn't do it for you? :colbert:

Jokes aside, this continent is probably what really started drawing me in about FF9's lore/setting. The Black Mage village, which I wasn't able to comment on earlier, is easily up there in one of my favorite locations for FF9 and FF in general, especially with the sound design that invokes Mysidia's music in FF4. And now with Madain Sari, there's this wonderful sort of "lost civilization" vibe a la Pompeii , so stuff like finding the wall with all the eidolon pictures, and the dilapidated buildings was a real treat.

Bad Seafood posted:

Zidane is the best protagonist.

(I think this was drawn by Zac Gorman but I dunno)

And until you said otherwise, the art and writing style remind me a lot of Kate Beaton's stuff.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Alxprit posted:

They like to make Soulcage immune to Raise (Life) in actual serious FFRK content. Not that it's the biggest deal, but the cheese strategies really did get tuned out later. I remember being intimidated by this part of FF9 quite a bit, too. It just gets crazier from here.

By the way, the Iifa Tree music has a motif similar to that of the Moon World Map theme from FF4. Intentional callback or happy accident, it's your choice.

You know, now that you mention it, I can hear it. That along with the Mystida/Black Mage village music are nice little easter eggs.
That said, FF9 has a LOT of callbacks to FF4, some of those including plot elements. However, to divulge the full details would be heavy spoilers.

Also, the cutscene music for the Mist stopping is so beautiful, but is achingly short. I want more, dangit! :allears:

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

morallyobjected posted:

I'm not sure where you get that idea. he's not an academic scholar or something, but Zidane is quite intelligent. he's quick to see through people's schemes (like Steiner's in Dali) and he's generally quick on his feet. he's good at reading people's emotions and giving them a pep talk (Vivi), and while he's occasionally juvenile where Dagger is concerned, you can tell there are deeper things to his relationship with her than just chasing a pretty girl.

his motivations are simple, but that doesn't mean he is.

He's what DnD nerds (like myself) would call a "High Wisdom, Low Intelligence" character.

For the uninitiated, Wisdom corresponds to Intuition and Street Smarts, whereas Intelligence is use of logic and Book Smarts. Another way to look at it is that high intelligence would be someone who's well educated - academically, where Wisdom is application and experience. Conversely, Garnet could be the opposite, having a High Intelligence and a Low Wisdom - she is very well schooled, but lacks a bit of wordly experience and can be taken advantage of. Another classic archetype for High Int, Low Wis is the "absent minded professor".

Bad Seafood posted:

Even a tough guy like Amarant's allowed to be blue sometimes.

But he's already blue! :cheeky:

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIM-Zo2xsNw

Ozma was made into a boss in the latest 24-man raid in FF14. At the time it came out and for a significant time after, it was the hardest boss outside of the savage 8-man raids, not because the mechanics are difficult, but because any of the up to 23 agents of chaos that you get matched with can completely ruin your day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfAXRqkgrtk

Also, the music of the dungeon Ozma is in is reminiscent of FF9's battle theme.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

That player fighting Ozma has the worst HUD layout I have ever seen.

Also how could you link the Mhach theme but choose calm over battle?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwOVnEIMMyM

Man, the more I see of XIV, the more I wish my computer wasn't a toaster that can barely run much of anything. It's so neat seeing all the shoutouts to the series in the game - and as someone else said, Ozma taking a Ramiel change in form was a really neat move. I like how it has that sort of ethereal/reflective effect when it changes shapes.

Also, since we're posting stuff from 14 involving Ozma, the poster for those music sections also caught a neat theme that plays involving Ozma as well (though I don't know the exact context, so fair spoiler warning for gameplay footage).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAIrh0040S4

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Bufuman posted:

The one good thing I could say about the FF Bradygames guides is that the bestiaries were incredibly handy to have. That poo poo was both detailed and easy to read. This was especially useful for FF8. Have you seen the utter unreadable mess for the three monsters lists for FF8 on GameFAQs? Split Infinity's is by far the best, but his has the same failing that the other two have, that being NONE of them list enemy status ailment vulnerabilities. The Bradygames guide had full lists for what ailments each enemy was vulnerable to, including percentages detailing the chance of getting an ailment to stick. And of course easy lists of what spells one could draw and what items were dropped stolen at all potential level thresholds, what they could Card into, etc. I miss having that guide every time I try to replay FF8.

I remember one of the earlier guides for FF7 (I don't remember much aside from it being black, having extra art inside, as well as a blurb in the beginning warning a player not to read ahead on account of spoilers) just said "Good luck!" when it came to fighting Sephiroths different forms (and do bear in mind I was a much younger child then without Gamefaqs).
The white strategy guide actually went into detail about all of those things, and a quick google determines that version was the Brady Games one. I understand why people give the FF9 guide a bunch of poo poo because of the play online crap, but they seemed pretty solid for other FF games. For example, I didn't even know Final Attack was a materia you could get a hold of - even the process to getting it was a little vague, something about betting on chocobo races.

EDIT: Also, "Assault of the White Dragons" is probably one of my favorite themes from FF9 now.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

So how Memoria works remains unclear. I get that people are able to view memories from a "shared ancestor", that's fine. And we can assume Quina couldn't see the Alexandria memory because it wasn't from a shared ancestor (too recent) and Quina wasn't there. But then why can Zidane see Garnet's memory from when Madain Sari was destroyed? I'd say it was because he WAS there and just forgot, but I don't know if the timeline works out on that.

Kuja said earlier that he threw Zidane onto Gaia to try and get rid of him. Maybe Zidane happened to see the destruction of Madain Sari from the Invincible before he was tossed off it?
That or I'm willing to just say "Garland did it", given the nature of Memoria being buggy and very entrenched in magic.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

kalonZombie posted:

Hades was quite chill as long as you didn't mess with his wife or his dog.

Orpheus did both with the power of music, and Hades was still chill enough to let him try to bring his dead fiance back from the dead.

Shame that Orpheus didn't quite pick up on the fact that Hades was a chill guy and NOT trying to actively screw Orpheus over. But, when your dad is Apollo (second only to Zeus when it comes to literal dicking over things), I suppose the paranoia could be considered a little healthy.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

U-DO Burger posted:

I never realized that was Vivi's farewell speech. :smith:

You and me both. :smith:

That said, he sounded happy at least? Vivi lived a well rounded life for the time he was alive, managed to have kids and had a group of loving friends who supported him. Can't ask for much more than that.

Bregor posted:

Vivi :smith:

Also would have liked to see the Black Mage Village populated with little Vivi kids. :unsmith:

Sorry if this is messy. I wanted to get it out before the thread closed.

EDIT: thanks for the LP, Mega. It was nice seeing things that I had missed the first time I tried out this game several years ago. It was a fun ride all around.

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Bregor posted:

You know, now that my daughter has taken a liking to Dora the Explorer, all I can think whenever Swiper comes on is, "STROPER NO STROPING!" And then a stroper snapping his tentacle and saying, "Aw man!" Gives me a chuckle every time. If I had any artistic talent whatsoever I'd draw it but I still wanted to share.

Have a quick doodle

Sorry if the image quality is a bit crap. I drew it in the sketchbook too big for my scanner, and I had to take a photo with my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Bregor posted:

Awesome! Thanks!

No problemo. It was fun. (Though it surprises me what innocuous comments inspire me to do little doodles.)

But that begs the question - if Zidane is Boots (which he clearly is, tail and all); then does that make Garnet Dora? And who's the map? And the backpack?

• Locked thread