Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh man this game. I didn't play it in full, I left somewhere around disc 2, because life had other plans for me and then I couldn't remember what I was doing, but still I enjoyed it a lot. Really good game, really good characters and music, the whole thing is great and I should really complete it on my own if I ever get free time.

That said I have my share of problems with it too. Beyond the speed thing (emulators have quick speed for a reason), the Limit Break system is absolutely terrible. Not letting you activate them when you want makes them go from a possible tactic to completely luck-based. It's likely the single worst Limit Break system in the history of the franchise, perhaps second to FFVI because at least you'll see these happen. Also making you learn abilities from weapons and equipment is bad too, and I hated it FFTA2 before I hated it here. At least here you can get the goddamn weapons though, that's already an improvement over the Tactics Advance games.

The fact that this doesn't ruin the game and it's still really, really good says a lot about it, really. I'm fully looking forward to the LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I really didn't like the nobles swordsfight thing. Mostly because I'm terrible at it. I couldn't ever get a big reward out of it. I might honestly just cheat the same way next time I play because holy poo poo I didn't know you got that much gil out of it. That's amazing.

Also, Vamo' Alla Flamenco reminded me of that time we got Nobuo Uematsu and Arnie Roth in this third world hellhole I call home. It was the best day ever. It's still making me happy now, two years later. I love Final Fantasy's music, and that fully includes this game's music. And so, I thought I might as well link to Distant World Buenos Aires' Vamo' Alla Flamenco, but it does contain spoilers for the game and I'm not sure if I should or not. Please do tell me, I want to share the music love whenever possible but I don't want to annoy anyone.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mega64 posted:

Is it the actual song/description that has spoilers or the related videos? If the latter, you can use Polsy's site to filter those out. http://polsy.org.uk

It's the actual song. It's filmed from the Distant Worlds, and it showed some cutscenes from later on. I can wait until then to link it...if I remember. Oh well, I'll remember as long as the song links keep existing.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I didn't know about that Tent trick at all. I don't think I would've ever tried using a Tent in-battle on my own either considering they're never useful. I've learned something new.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

According to FF Wiki, the formula for Mug's damage is:

Also, this is where I left during my own playthrough of FFIX. This part is boring and I got distracted. I'll get to see what's after now, though!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

So wait, if Quina is a being that grows more powerful by eating others, what would eating Quina cause? Would the party suddenly gain Blue Mage abilities? Or just some major sickness from the amount of weird stuff that's no doubt in his/her body?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mega64 posted:

Eiko's understandably torn between honoring her late grandfather's wish and following her heart and leaving Madain Sari. Despite her grandfather's good intentions, a dead city with nothing but moogles is no place for a lonely six-year-old. She needs human friends and companionship, and Zidane, Dagger, and Vivi at least are going to try their best to protect her and help her when she needs it.

Hence why she's joining the party composed of a grand total of zero humans. Dagger, as shown now, is a Summoner (who at least differ in having horns from regular humans), Vivi is a Black Mage, and not even Zidane knows what he is but he's clearly not human considering his tail. Of the people who left, Quina is a Qu and Freya is Burmecian, leaving Steiner as the only actual human until Amarant himself joined (even when Amarant's skin is very clearly inhuman, he's listed as one in the Ultimania and Amano's art does give him normal skin).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FeyerbrandX posted:

I don't think Fire-type, Ice-type, Void-type Myth-type or old-man type are strong against dragon type. But what do I know? I only played blue :v:

Clearly nothing, because Ice has been one of Dragon's weaknesses since Gen 1 :v:

Get summoning Shiva, Garnet. Save your own country. Or just jump into a Mega Flare and cast Reflect, that tends to work against Bahamut. You shouldn't need help for this, geez.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

-Gurugu
-Gulug
-Gurgu

Romanization is hard. Talking about romanization, Madeen! While undeniably a reference to FFVI's Maduin, the difference in name is actually not a misromanization, to my own surprise, their names differ ever-so-slightly in Japanese: マディン (VI) vs マディーン (IX). "Madeen" is a pretty weird way to romanize it, but I can see why they'd want to keep the difference between both and "Maduiin" really does not work.
That said, later games would romanize マディーン as Maduin as well, for some reason.

Also Kuja decided that Trance is useful? Ahahah, poor guy. He couldn't be more wrong.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

EponymousMrYar posted:

Not all Trance's are made equal. Zidane, Steiner and Vivi's trances are all really powerful (Zidane and Steiner hit for the damage cap reliably and Vivi can surpass it easily.)

That's not my point. Kuja will end up obtaining Trance, then build up the gauge for a final confrontation with Zidane and his pals...only for it to trigger in a random battle just before he gets to them, likely at the very end of the fight. Rinse and repeat, with an ever-more-irritable Kuja trying really hard to keep that Trance gauge just slightly below full.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dagger's portrait is clearly not the same, so they changed only the female ones. Weird.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rarity posted:

I want to see the town of Amarants

There's none. Amarants are unable to tolerate the idea of being with other people, and so they all travel around the world, alone, with their only mission in life being telling people who have friends how lame they are and how cool and good being a loner is and how much stronger they are because of it before they get pummeled into the ground.

Each and every interaction with an Amarant is this, in other words:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZDVkXhelMk&t=5s

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ApplesandOranges posted:

Quina should have been able to Eat Quale. :colbert:

I admit, I read that part of the update fully expecting the fight to end that way. It seems like a very Qu thing, to be the new master, you gotta eat the old master. But nope. Sigh. Sad.

Not as sad as seeing three characters get sacrificed, but I guess the run must go on. They will be remembered. Except Amarant, no one gives a poo poo about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's kind of sad to see this LP ending. :smith:

It's fine. It will live in our memories, and be passed down through them, forever.

• Locked thread