Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fedule posted:

Fun fact: Final Fantasy IX has bar none the best, finest, most awesomest opening hour of any game of its type.

More than anything else, the thing that comes through the strongest about it is that the entire game was made by people who loved what they did.

I disagree.

The entire first disc is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

You can change your way.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I love how the fact that Alexandrian males are worthless is a thing that keeps being brought up. Sure, the Alexandrian soldiers fight in weird metal lotards, but they're clearly in charge!

I like it ebcause it's different from normal generic fantasy kigndoms without going into full-fledged straw feminist territory.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

This is a massive understatement.

Yeah, it's super easy to jsut max out his Magic stat and do amazing damage for the rest of the fight. It stacks and stays for the whole battle.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

This game is full of reference to older Final Fantasy games. In this update, the song the band was playing was from FFVII.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

This LP got me to want to replay this game again: turns out I had a save set just after this part. Right before fighting Black Waltz #3 That's a nice coincidence!

I turns out I missed the Mythril Dagger though. :negative:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Sell no equipment, keep at least two of every equipment, hoard like crazy :tinfoil:

FF9 is an absolutely horrible, awful game for someone with that "but what if I need it later" hoarding/OCD.

Play Shin Megami Tensei. Expecially 3: Nocturne. You'll spend your elixirs like there's no tomorrow after that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

kalonZombie posted:

Not REALLY easily, but more easily. There's another skill way late in the game that makes stealing even easier, but by then if you're getting everything you'll be decked out in poo poo that's mostly better than what you can steal by that point.

Especially if you've also been extensively playing the best minigame.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I named her Halberd or Katana or whatever.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Call her Shank. It's her prison nickname.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It's really easy to write Dali off as a standard "first town in an RPG" type small town, but if you remember Alexandria and see how big it looks and how alive it is (and other future cities), you realize that it's supposed to be this small. This barely qualifies as a village.

To quote Pratchett: "The village was too small to show up on a map of the village."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Awww man, Vivi and my other favorite character have such depressing quotes. :smith:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ubiquitous_ posted:

This FMV sequence is my favorite in the series. The music, the cinematography, and the action are just amazing.

Yeah! And it's short and effective. Cutscenes don't need to last an hour to have an emotional effect.

Black Waltz #3 establishes himself really quickly, and makes quite an impression for someone who blows himself up after the booss battle.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

If we got FFV on Steam it would be the janky-rear end mobile version and nobody wants that. Nobody at all.

The only things wrong with FFV mobile are the mainc haracter sprites and some of the world tiles. Both of thsoe could be fixed easily with a patch.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dastardly posted:

I don't even need black bars to say that my favorite team is Zidane, Vivi, Garnet and Freya. Team: The characters I like the most.

:hf:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Steiner believed in RNGesus.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Now I really wish I'd named everyone after Shakespeare character in my latest playthrough.

Steiner would be Falstaff, of course.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Sorry, the only correct choice is John Cleese.

John Cleese would actually be Cid.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Patrick Stewart should actually be Baku.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTROgQORCt4

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

cdyoung posted:

He didn't die, he became one with the force.

He'll rise again in a 100 years, along with his giant multiple stage chaos castle.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Make Zidane lose. Cock-block him... for the Ring!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The best possible outcome.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

Dagger freakin' owns.

She truly deserves the name of "Shank".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kanfy posted:

People creating fictional memories of FF VII characters' personalities and believing them to be real remains the meta-est thing in video gaming.

Many of friends still don't believe me when I tell them this.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

WATCH BRAHNE START A loving WAR

Brahne stole that election, Doctor Tot won the popular vote! :argh:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The "traditionalists" are actually just your standard "JRPG Catholic Church".

The critique of "traditionalism" is actually just anti-clericalism.

Actually, they look a lot more like Buddhists. Their temples have a very Tibetan aesthetic.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

cdyoung posted:

Or....
It's because Japan is, still actually, an majorly aethiest/agnostic country without a major theocratic system that's overpowering in it's politics.

Just about every country aside from a few can see how major religions have strangleholds on their countries. Japan just likes to show that these systems are inherently corrupt since religion is almost always self interested and not about the masses. Which is why EVIL CHURCH is such a common narrative trope there.

Surprisingly, a large number of J-horror tropes are based around Shinto, with evil rituals in isolated villages and whatnot.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

So are zebras.

No.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

SorataYuy posted:

For that matter, except for Brave Fencer Musashi and Grandia II, have there ever been any RPGs where the legends and myths turned out to be wrong? Like completely, utterly, got everything completely the opposite of what the truth actually was, and it was mostly just made up because... well, just because.

Tales does it pretty often, actually. So often it's hard to think of one that doesn't have a similar twist.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

KWEH!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

See, that one almost makes sense because Akitoshi Kawazu was in charge of the second half of 12's development.

The man is mentally troubled and has an unhealthy obsession with making a game that is impossible to create a strategy guide for. In fact, three years before FF12, he actually accomplished that very task.

I can't wait for the next SaGa game!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hahahaha, yesss, yesss! More terrible awesome SaGa games! :unsmigghh:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

FeyerbrandX posted:

I agree with you, the main thing I see about Kuja being a budget villain would be drifting off to spoilers.

The simplest thing I can think of that doesn't go in that direction is how that scene played out. Beatrix curbstomped you because she was challenged by some ignorant peon and you ruined her n00b-griefing fun.

Kuja somehow provided Black Mages. Kind of evil yeah, but Hojo-tier or Dr. Lugae evil at this point of the game. Sure some of the party might have a valid personal grudge against someone like that, but at the moment? meh.

Kuja ain't got poo poo on Lord Yuna.

All my hate. :argh:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

FeyerbrandX posted:

And that's why I did not include that monster on my list of "trivial middle-management level jerk face scientists"

Hojo is arguably the real villain of FFVII, as everything is his fault. He's the one who decided to build his son out of spare parts from John Carpenter's The Thing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm 27, but I look more like 40.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Tae posted:

He met Steiner I guess.

Actually, all the party member slike him and respect him and try to help him out. Getting involved with the war really is been the best thing that happened to him.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot3LYupdTOQ

Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
As I foretold you, were all spirits and
Are melted into air, into thin air:
And, like the baseless fabric of this vision,
The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve
And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.

William Shakespeare
From The Tempest, Act 4 Scene 1

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

You missed the Stellazio in the fountain.
:goonsay:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I find it really interesting that Steiner not only gets Knight skills, but also Dark Knight skills.

He goes both ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

As with Odin in all other Final Fantasies, if this was gameplay, Odin's attack would have landed three miles to the left and a giant MISS! would have appeared over Cleyra.

As if any of the Cleyrans and Burmecians had the HEAVY flag.

• Locked thread