Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I never beat this game, think I got to the 3rd disc and just stopped, this sadly happens to me a lot. Glad to finally have a chance to see the end since I'm not the biggest fan of The White Dragon's LP style.

Since theres a FF4TAY discussion going on I'll join that too. I have a strange relationship with all things FF4, I'm a story gamer so logically a game older than me just isnt my cup of tea but for some reason I managed to binge FF4 PSP, FF4 DS, half of FF4 TAY PSP, and 1/4 of FF4 TAY PC in a month for like 150 hours, and I was baffled the entire time.

Also yeah basically everything about TAY's story is just bad, but yknow, its still a masterpiece compared to FFX-2.5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Infinite Undiscovery was a huge stinking pile of poo poo, but it had one moment that always stood out to me. Normally you roll around with a party of 4 but in one desert area halfway through the game, your party splits up into multiple groups and they all set off into the desert at the same time. You're only controlling your characters but whenever monsters showed up, everyone would start launching into their attacks and it was seriously really awesome to behold. It's kind of bizarre that it's the only time the game pulled it off since it looked really cool and would have made for some interesting boss battles. Aside from that though, everything else about that game stunk to high heaven.

I love Infinite Undiscovery, I remember that part too, its a great game sadly brought down by being on the 360.

For some reason all 360 RPGs all felt janky as hell, I wouldve actually kept mine if it actually got any past 2010.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I finally decided to read this and its over. Am I happy, or am I sad? I dont know, but thanks for the work Mega.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Kalenn Istarion posted:

No it hasn't, any game I'm willing to get the CE for I usually get the CE guide for too. They're much better AM quality than hey used to be, in general.

That scene is nuts, and that freeze frame rotation right at the end make me think someone in the design team was a big fan of the matrix, which came out a year before this

Good job on the LP mega, looking forward to whatever you do next and ofs' legs are always a nice addition!

It honestly has, they make tons of guides for games that dont really need them while only the huge long running rpg series get them now.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Mega64 posted:

Alright. Today we'll get into the actual gameplay of this game. Every Final Fantasy has a gimmick to learning new abilities and spells, like materia or espers or jobs or whatever.

This game has you learning abilities from items. For instance, the starting dagger that Zidane starts out with teaches the "Flee" ability, which gives you a guaranteed run from encounters you can run from, at the cost of 10% of the gil you would've won from that encounter. You can still run as normal with L1/R1, of course.

The Mage Masher is nice enough to teach Flee AND Detect, but most weapon and armor upgrades won't be so nice. You can use the ability as long as you have the weapon or armor piece equipped. So if I get another dagger that doesn't teach either of these abilities, I can't use them any longer.

The exception, of course, is if you gain enough AP from battles to permanently learn them. Detect and Flee both require 40AP to learn. Once they're learned, you can go to the next weapon or armor or whatever and learn abilities from there.

General reception to this system is "meh" at best, as generally you'll need more AP to master abilities than you normally would spend fighting enemies in dungeons, and it can be annoying to be stuck with lower-tier equipment especially when the game incentivizes you to steal good stuff early to make use of it only for you to still need to hold off to finish getting this ability.

On the other hand, a lot of abilities are pretty unimpressive anyway (Detect lets you see what items an enemy is holding, pretty pointless when you can just get a guide and use it to get a link to GameFAQs to get what the enemy is carrying), though obviously it's hard to tell what's good in a first playthrough. At any rate, it's not the best way to handle abilities in the series, and it is a bit puzzling that they reuse this mechanic for the Tactics Advance games. I don't mind it so much myself though so I'll deal.

Hold the phone, dude I know its probably not the best manners to do this at the end, but I cant let this slide. There are people that don't absolutely adore this mechanic? Its the single best ability learning system in existence! Sure Growlanser 4 does it infinitely better than Final Fantasy 9, but its the same system and god I love it so much.

• Locked thread