Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I appreciate you trying to make me feel like it's not my fault, but we both know the LP ended because I just caught up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

Zagglezig posted:

I don't remember if there was ever an explanation for the sapient black mages, but now I wonder if it's got something to do with the mist, since we saw them being made from it, just like we're told monsters come from it. We've run into friendly mist monsters, so clearly the mist doesn't always make them bloodthirsty. I wonder if these guys are a product of that X out of however many mist beings.

Or even a production error? Maybe too much mist and they become sapient?

George
Nov 27, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

No.

You see a hat without a black mage, though.

How do you know it's not a black mage wearing only a hat?

George
Nov 27, 2004

It reminds me of the contrasts people draw between H. P. Lovecraft and Welcome to Nightvale. The former wrote stories of humans cowering in terror, alone and mad, before the incomprehensible truths that dwarf them. Nightvale is about people working together to live ordinary lives in the face of the same. The settings and plots are equally "dark", but the stories and the people they're about are not.

I haven't listened to much Nightvale, so if that's a bad analysis go yell at my brother.

George
Nov 27, 2004

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

This might have been brought up already, (who reads threads?????) but I just had a thought. "Fossil Roo", do you suppose it was intended to be Fossil Route but with a french pronunciation?

In French you still pronounce the T.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Bufuman posted:

Her entire World of Ruin character arc was about discovering that she was feeling love for the orphans she took in. I'd say that's pretty positive.

This is some Dredd-level character development though. Like, her arc is realizing that she felt anything once.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Obligatum VII posted:

I was always annoyed that there was wasn't a post game option to go beat up the Occuria. They deserved it.

What you do to them is arguably worse.

George
Nov 27, 2004

I'd say that's a huge oversight, but if the rod that teaches Vivi his -aga spells isn't the first thing you buy when you get there I dunno what to say to you.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Trasson posted:

I can't quote the post because trying to do so crashes Awful, but your sixth bullet point has a spoiler.

Like we haven't all figured out that Auron's the final boss by now.

George
Nov 27, 2004

I remember when VIII came out I played through the whole thing convincing myself it was the best because of course it was. Then I replayed it and realized its monumental flaws. Then I replayed it again years later and was able to see the handful of things it did really well, as well as respect its audacity.

When IX came out it was seen as a boring step backwards into tradition, in an era when deformed characters were considered "kiddie" and when that was the worst thing a game could be. It took several years for the fanbase to come around in numbers, but I think the consensus now is that the game owns even among people who panned it when it came out.

Final Fantasy games are always at war with their own legacies.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Kuja's sex dungeon is probably an FF7 reference.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Or to make sure 100% runs are impossible.

George
Nov 27, 2004

I got all my best-ever rounds of hot and cold in the Sky Garden, so I have to agree that it's not as bad as it seems.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Daguerreo is chill as gently caress and one of the coolest towns in any FF. It's a really fun little surprise as you fly around the world map, and its island is one of the most beautiful world map features in an RPG.

George
Nov 27, 2004

MelvinBison posted:

It's so easy to hit the damage cap that at some point leveling isn't as important as maxing Thievery/Dragon's Crest/Frog Drop etc. since those are relatively easy to grind up.

I spent some time grinding like an idiot because I wanted crystal points.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Zidane's interactions with Quina here are some of the best writing in the game. You can tell he doesn't expect conversation and is just kind of playing games. My favorite is his line about a feast, since he's obviously setting Quina up for a one-liner and succeeds brilliantly.

George
Nov 27, 2004

My dream version of FFXII has all six characters on the field at once.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Tylana posted:

Weirdly this and the next bit, whilst I remember being interesting I also remember being the point where the game kind of loses my interest and motivation. Many years back now though, so hard to be sure.

Yeah, the game's final act is when it kind of shoves aside everything it was doing well with its story and goes full-on JRPG. It's like they felt obligated to shove a bunch of revelations in and ended up just reproducing tropes.

I love this game dearly, but the plot falls apart as soon as they arrive in Terra.

George
Nov 27, 2004

I think the scene would work better if Zidane showed more panic than wimpiness, but it still floored me when I played it and gets me to this day.

As for the music, it's totally not the kind of track that ever stands out for me in these games. On paper I agree with the haters, but the fact is I loved it immediately and agree that it's on the short list for the series. Couldn't really tell you why.

George
Nov 27, 2004

FFXII unfortunately decided it needed some silly time sinks to properly simulate that MMO experience. The way chests work is rubbish and the three big worms are tedious. I only ever fought Yiazmat because it was the last thing I hadn't done in a game I dearly love.

George
Nov 27, 2004

The way OoA speedruns fight Yiazmat is really great, at least. They abuse a summon AI glitch to clog the ability queue with a dying Esper so Yiazmat is stuck waiting to do an ability but never can, then have the characters in low-HP berserker mode combo him to death for the whole fight.

It's like a 40-minute long break in a 30-hour run.

George
Nov 27, 2004

Wugga posted:

I don't even care about the deus ex machina nature of Necron, because the music is the best final boss music in any FF game. Yes, that includes One-Winged Angel.

I remember reading that Uematsu is a huge fan of Emerson, Lake & Palmer and it's pretty evident in the progressive nature of Necron's music, with the midi-moogs and Hammond-ish organ. Listen to this part of Tarkus and tell me the organ arpeggio wouldn't fit a FF boss fight.

Honestly OWA is probably the worst final boss music in the series. If you want something grandiose and bombastic Dancing Mad has it beat (and while it's not final boss music, Liberi Fatali does the Carl Orff thing way better), and for prog rock I have to give it to FF8's Maybe I'm a Lion, The Legendary Beast, and The Extreme (these might even be better than FF9's final boss themes).

George
Nov 27, 2004

My main gripes with OWA are that its melodies are repetitive and sound half-finished and that its lyrics are literally ripped verbatim from the Carmina Burana. It was an exploratory stab at something, but because it was a new leap technically we were all blown away by it.

Dancing Mad is legit godlike, and like I said Liberi Fatali proves that Uematsu could really kill it if he worked at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

I looked for the FFIX version of the A.I. movie poster but couldn't find it. Can someone do the needful?

• Locked thread