Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

idonotlikepeas posted:

One day I may play this and not rename Vivi to Orko.

...nah.

I always, always rename Vivi to Vincent. I did it on a whim the first time and it stuck so thoroughly that I got confused reading a discussion about ff7 when I came across Vincent being referenced. I was like, that was ff9?!

Great lp so far, showing off the little details is great. I never saw that dialogue about the "guardettes" and loving alleyway Jack mugs you if you don't talk to him in time. If he walks past you he just takes a handful of cash off you. loving rude.

I don't think the church is half missing, it's just a cutaway for an exterior / interior shot. I dunno, like the sims? Feels awful referencing that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The thing I liked later on was your magic and trance abilities weren't nullified by your base damage. Like, maybe I was a really bad player, but I don't recall ever hitting a single target with a normal attack for more than 3500 even in the final dungeon. You can still hit the damage cap (9999) with spells (certain ways of using them... Which the lp will get to) and trance attacks though. That was nice.

By the endgame in 7 I was always hitting for 9999 with normal attacks and it really invalidated anything else.

I was also really bad because I didn't level all the characters so there's a fight later on that I always, always, had to grind out a trance for. I'd edge it right to the last hit then go into the fight to end it quickly.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Xerophyte posted:

Zidane is into real HanzoDamascus steel and wants to educate the plebes in his party on the difference between a Wakizashi and a DaitoDagger and a Broadsword.

I love how he starts nerding out immediately. I don't know why it surprised me this time but lol

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I only realized this time that it makes sense he'd like a gross tasting potion because of his fondness for a gross tasting kind of pickle later on.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Fister Roboto posted:

I really appreciate you showing off all of this game's little nooks and crannies, because holy poo poo this game has a lot of little nooks and crannies.

This. I love hearing all the sound effects in my head too and all the extremely great animations getting giffed. Square did great with ff7 and conveying emotion with those little Legos but it's like a whole new generation in this game. I love it.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
That dude in front of nobou is loving jazzed

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Haha drat Freya does try to stand up again. What a bad rear end.

I liked Freya immediately and she was always in my main party when I first played. Until later when I discovered how overpowered magic sword is. Shame.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

morallyobjected posted:

I honestly have no idea what you need the Needle Fork for and I look forward to finding out.

You can wait but I couldn't so I looked it up. That's literally all I'm tagging. Needle fork is for the added status petrify. You need it to skip the mandatory battles in the grotto

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

liquidypoo posted:

As a kid, I always thought the bandana over Beatrix's eye was a slab of stainless steel or something. Blurry PS1 textures on a CRT TV, etc.

It's not???

---

I noticed the petrify frog monster things in burmecia look exactly like the curse frogs in dark souls 1. Curse petrifies you and kills you, the curse follows and reduces your max HP on revive.

The best part about running into the curse frogs is the petrified corpses of other players playing the single player game that litter the corridor :getin: (that you shatter by rolling through by accident or on purpose)

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

FinalGamer posted:

That entire little segment of South Gate Part 2: The Southening is pretty much a great compact example of why I love this game. Pointlessly interesting NPC conversations, small moments of good body language and dialogue along with a very interesting fight in terms of mechanical integration to the consistency of the story.

Xenocides posted:

I love the disc intro of two soldiers just chatting. Has a very Shakespeare vibe about it.

Also, the SuperPhoenixDown was used on Aeris after the Sephiroth "incident". It didn't work because she loved Zach more then Cloud and fangirls cried.

Squarely Circle posted:

Yeah, the exchange between the guards is one of my favorite little things. This game has the best NPCs :3:
Yeah I love this poo poo. This game is good.

Bad Seafood posted:

Steiner is the best character.

I always liked how much Steiner annoyed me because of his naivety and convictions but not anything he really does. He's a great character. It seems like there's always really shallow mouth pieces or obvious arcs in characters like him but the subtlety (relative) of his development and traits was always really nice. And he isn't an antagonist, you know? Like, all the characters might have some beef or disagreement with him but they still respect him and keep him around.

If that makes any frickin sense.

I also like that he loves those nasty pickles.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 4, 2015

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I wash my face everyday you know

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Missed out on an optional, solo, sephiroth boss fight that includes an instant kill attack you can survive if you time a full heal elixir to hit you at the moment the attack does. :waycool:

He also has like 15 hp bars in a game where bosses have like 3-4 max.

I also fought him at lv40 instead of 70 so ...

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
My bad. To be fair I was like 12 or something and I'm going off my memory from 13-14 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Saw 40 new posts and saved the update for later. Aw.

Amazing work mega, thanks for all of it.

God knows I loving can't hack it. Made 6 episodes into my red alert 2 one and died.

Mostly cause I had a weird loving audio bug and I'd spend 2 hours syncing the clips without even getting into the actual editing and crap.

• Locked thread