Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Just wanted to throw in my couple of cents and say I'm adoring this LP. Keep it up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I always felt Burmecia needed more guttering. Stagnant water-ho!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

There are random encounters in FF8?

Yes. 12 was the first modern (non-Mystic Quest etc.) single player FF game to have monsters on the overworld.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Yeah, Uematsu is famous for that sort of stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD21CBN6KkE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bueIQ_R6i2I

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

When you have to come up with hundreds of new themes for each game, not letting your influences show would be stranger than showing them.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Acne Rain posted:

I'm all forletting Kuja going outside wearing that,

And in the rain too! He'll catch his death...

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I always figured it was a silk bandage.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

A big slab of metal permanently wrapped around her head would be agony. Think of the chafing!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Being 32 gives me a unique perspective on life. This is what we old people have to tell ourselves to stop from weeping for our lost youths, anyway.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Yup, that sure does say "Lindbulm".

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

[Plavski, I'm very sorry but a stupid thing happened and your post was a casualty. I think it's Awful App's fault.

Edit is not quote.

-fedule]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 21, 2016

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Lol.

Anyway, my post was basically saying that while Treno is nice music, 2 hours of it solidly looping while you're 100%'ing the place drove me slowly mad. I have had nightmares where it has been the backing soundtrack.

(Don't worry thread, I'm backing up this post in case anything else happens to it.)

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Kanfy posted:

For all its colours and funny-looking characters, FFIX is a surprisingly dark game in several ways. It certainly doesn't shy away from a whole lotta people getting killed, and the cause is almost always their fellow humanoids rather than natural disasters or wild monsters.

That said Odin riding away from the Cleyra explosion is hella cool.

Final Fantasy has always kinda done that. 6 had suicide, single mothers and the end of the world. In 7 you're responsible for destroying a huge chunk of Midgar and there's lots of stuff about death and sacrifice. In 8 you listen to love songs and grow up in the same orphanage as every other character with a speaking role and... well 8 is a bit of a mess.

A lot of this stuff tends to blur into one big smudge when you're playing the same game for 60-odd hours. But I think the darkness has always been there, no matter how many chocobos you ride at the Golden Saucer, or Octopus-based operas you perform.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Mega64 posted:

There's also two different games where mad scientists render people into monstrosities.

One of those occasions in 7 is by attempting to cross-breed a tiger with a girl.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I've always really, really loved the design of Atomos. As a kid I got an app that extracted the FMVs and I used to watch that cutscene over and over. There was something so existential about the destruction of Lindblum that really struck home.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Also, thar be literal monsters.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Endorph posted:

chewie didn't even get a medal

the rebellion is a bunch of racists

Neither did Wedge, and he fought the whole thing and didn't just showboat in at the end.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I always felt that Lani's shirt was the hardest worker in the game. Japanese art directors have weird ideas about the female form.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

That detail is one of those relatively minor things that is so cool. You're seeing how she has all this power already and you're really excited to use the spells. Then they get taken away from her and you actually sort of feel her loss. When you get them back it's more important because you've already been excited for them. Really clever design, imo. It smacks of Metroidvania, but not in an obnoxious *wink wink* way. It feels part of the narrative.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Kanfy posted:

Also as I played the game as a kid, Iifa Tree was pronounced "Lifa Tree" in my head for the longest time.

Me too. It's not like we have words that begin with two I's in English to compare with.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Rarity posted:

I feel like Morrison is a case of wasted potential. They could have done more with him as a character but he enters the story too late to get enough moments to shine. They should have found ways to intertwine him more with what's been going on so far even if his face turn stays as late as it is

I wonder if that's actually a reference? There were plenty of characters who appeared way too late in old Final Fantasy games and never had much in the way of character development - Gau, Mog, Vincent, Irvine etc.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

Why are we calling him Morrison? I think I'm missing the joke.

Morrison is the name of the moogle, and potentially the final party member.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh, I never bothered to unlock him. I was never much for the vampire thing. He gets his own spin-off story like a decade later though, right?

Are you thinking of Vincent Valentine from FF7? Because this whole joke has begun to spiral out of control...

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm afraid my favorite FF Princess is Ashe. Dagger doesn't quite measure up to her in my opinion. But that's not a slight against Garnet since Ashe is possibly my favorite FF main character.

I generally don't like when party members join so late but, really, Amarant only joined a couple hours after Eiko so any criticism of him can be directed at her.

Those couple of hours give Eiko ridiculously huge amounts of plot development and she already becomes essential to the story. Amarant could never join and you'd never miss him.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Zagglezig posted:

Good thing Garnet's forehead healed over the horn spot and the horn didn't keep growing. Be a bit of an awkward day when child Garnet asks why she's got a big bony forehead disk/growth.

Garnet is yet another Big Boss clone.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Asparagus32 posted:

Kuja's reasoning for going to Mount Gulug will be made (somewhat) clearer as the story progresses. Though this doesn't explain some of the glaring discrepancies (like how there's a fully furnished and well preserved room/prison for Hilda, if the place had been sealed for centuries and Kuja only arrived shortly before the party did, so it's doubtful he had the time to set it up this way).

She brought it herself

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The Bob of Destiny

Also, samurai cutting their top knots etc. The Japanese love cutting their hair as a sign of change.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Kinda sad this LP is coming to an end. It's been a year and a half of nostalgia for one of my very favourite games. I don't have the time to replay it (for the seventh time), but seeing it here regularly brings me back many good memories. It's been a really great LP so far, and I'm very happy you brought it back, Mega64; you've done the game justice.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

But best FF final boss theme is a tough one. Even tougher if we don't just limit it to the Uematsu FF's. (Hello "Heart of Chaos" from XIII-2. Like Dark Messenger, it's much better than the "real" final boss theme)

It's Dancing Mad. Nothing else can top it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

VKing posted:

Okay, that was... disappointing?
I'm a bit unsure how to parse my feelings of the end boss here. Sure, whacking Kuja is awesome as ever, but random ancient god of destruction or something out of nowhere? I don't know; it feels so random and out of left field.

Very fitting for the end boss of a nostalgic and reference heavy final fantasy game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Great LP Mega64, thanks for the ride!

• Locked thread