Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I always wanted the Extra Deck size to be limited based on card type rather than a generic total. I enjoy making decks that can use varied summoning types, but I feel like I'm losing a lot of utility compared to ones that focus exclusively on one (ie Rank 4 spam).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Onmi posted:

Oh believe me, I was right on board with "I'm tilting out at Xyz" that most people had coming off 5Ds. But when I got to actually playing with them it just came naturally. They also confirm the full extra deck without needing to build around them. Excluding your Monarch builds which 9/10 times wont be summoning from the extra deck, but it's nice to have them there just in case.

The main problem, to me at least, is with Synchro, Xyz and Fusion all doing pretty well, your extra deck space can get tiiiiight. It's only 15 cards. It's like crafting a Side Board for in the game.

Yea just to be clear when I said 'I remember' I meant that was the last time I played as a kid, I haven't experienced these rules at all so for all I know this could be the smoothest possible way to summon but just reading it confused the poo poo out of my Magic playing rear end. So the shut under it is what you sacrifice to make the card, but that poo poo stays in game as stuff that makes limited resources for what the card can do?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tyrant's Throes does look wonderfully oppressive, I remember how miserable anti-summoning floodgates can be. Is Rescue Rabbit->those rank 4 dinosaurs still a good enough thing to be doing? They seem good if the gameplan is to try and lock the opponent out. Also is Heart of the Underdog actually fast enough to work in the current game?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea just to be clear when I said 'I remember' I meant that was the last time I played as a kid, I haven't experienced these rules at all so for all I know this could be the smoothest possible way to summon but just reading it confused the poo poo out of my Magic playing rear end. So the shut under it is what you sacrifice to make the card, but that poo poo stays in game as stuff that makes limited resources for what the card can do?

Yup. watching it done in the anime makes it pretty clear (if a bit fanciful)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aa0Om90-Q4&t=1207

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Tyrant's Throes does look wonderfully oppressive, I remember how miserable anti-summoning floodgates can be. Is Rescue Rabbit->those rank 4 dinosaurs still a good enough thing to be doing? They seem good if the gameplan is to try and lock the opponent out. Also is Heart of the Underdog actually fast enough to work in the current game?

Heart of the Underdog is for a very specific type of deck. But it's usually considered far too slow to be of any real use to just a normal deck. After all, why run 3 Heart of the Underdog if you can just run 3 Upstart Goblin and have an effective deck-size of 37?

EDIT: Take Lis's advice, she's better at this than I am.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 7, 2015

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

You really think someone would do that?
Just go on the internet and tell lies?

Yes, Yes, yes. Heart of the underdog is incredible MST bait as well, and if they're MSTing your heart, they're not hitting your scales. It's not as fast as something like upstart or chicken race, but if you're playing normal pendulums, you're likely going to be drawing a lot of cards every turn, which you can then vomit on to the field.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man, I haven't played YGO in a while. University's kept me busy and I haven't even started on my worst idea (a Yuma deck. As in, not a deck made of Yuma's cards, a deck centered exclusively on cards that show Yuma himself. Namely, Hope Zexal, the Winning Formula/Creator of Hope/Creator of Miracles trio, Kattobingu Challenge). Also I want to remake Superheavy Samurai (because I deleted my old deck by mistake and either way there's new support and my deck wasn't very good) and Red-Eyes (because there's a lot more of support and I still love that thing), but ugh, lots of stuff to do and I'm bad at deck building.

Also for anyone scared of the new summon methods, Pendulum is basically the best because it allows you to swarm like hell. Xyz is really easy, but Rank 4 spam is terrible and you should never do it if you have any self-respect. Synchro is the manliest summon method, but I'm bad at it, I could never be like my role models Jack Atlas and the man Gongenzaka.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Man, I haven't played YGO in a while. University's kept me busy and I haven't even started on my worst idea (a Yuma deck. As in, not a deck made of Yuma's cards, a deck centered exclusively on cards that show Yuma himself. Namely, Hope Zexal, the Winning Formula/Creator of Hope/Creator of Miracles trio, Kattobingu Challenge). Also I want to remake Superheavy Samurai (because I deleted my old deck by mistake and either way there's new support and my deck wasn't very good) and Red-Eyes (because there's a lot more of support and I still love that thing), but ugh, lots of stuff to do and I'm bad at deck building.

Also for anyone scared of the new summon methods, Pendulum is basically the best because it allows you to swarm like hell. Xyz is really easy, but Rank 4 spam is terrible and you should never do it if you have any self-respect. Synchro is the manliest summon method, but I'm bad at it, I could never be like my role models Jack Atlas and the man Gongenzaka.

you have betrayed your roots as a member of Team Fusion. Please subject yourself to Frightfur based torture.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Onmi posted:

you have betrayed your roots as a member of Team Fusion. Please subject yourself to Frightfur based torture.

I'm sorry! I play Gem-Knights, I love Gem-Knights, I'm still part of the Fusion Dimension I swear! Please don't turn me into a card or subject me to freaky demon toys.

And my Red-Eyes deck is based on Fusion far more than Xyz! And...and...okay I've got nothing for Superheavy, I just like the man Gon-chan. I think that's acceptable!

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Rank 4 spam is meta as gently caress and you should always do it if you want to win.

Fixed.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Speaking of rank 4 spam is there a good guide to staple XYZs anywhere? Thanks for the advice re: pendulum normals, I've got a sortof list together.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Speaking of rank 4 spam is there a good guide to staple XYZs anywhere? Thanks for the advice re: pendulum normals, I've got a sortof list together.

Depending on your Rank, the staple Xyzs change. But a good recommended list is

Castel the Skyblaster Musketeer - That's a nice monster you got there, would be a shame if something were to happen to it
Number 101: Silent Honor ARK Knight - I protect myself and steal your hard earned monsters for my own material.
Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon - That Boss monster is SUPER strong. so I'll take half its attack and add it to my own.
Gagaga Cowboy - Man all that work and you survived with just 800 LP. Main Phase 2, Gagaga Cowboy, I burn you for 800.
Ragnazero - I can't deal with all your pump. Except by saccing your monster even on your turn.
Daigusto Emeral - "I return 3 Normal Monsters from my gave to my deck and draw a card." Alternatively "I just straight up revive a normal monster."
Heartlandraco - Similar vein to Cowboy. "Okay you have 2000 LP left and a wall of monsters. Heartlandraco I attack you directly for 2000 I win."
Exciton Knight - "Man you really do have the hand advantage and the field advantage don't you? I reset the game to 0 excluding my Exciton Knight. If you attack me with a larger field than me I just do it again.

For Pendulum Normal specifically you want the Evolsaurs. But those are what I think of when "You should probably absolutely run these"

Staples in Yu-Gi-Oh are weird because like... Lavalval Chain is a staple in Infernity and any deck where Graveyard matters (most) but it's like "If you don't plus off that you're not going into him."

Experiment. It's like building the side deck, you're building a 15 card deck of answers that you can summon.

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

Onmi posted:

Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon - That Boss monster is SUPER strong. so I'll take half its attack and add it to my own.
Ragnazero - I can't deal with all your pump. Except by saccing your monster even on your turn.
Daigusto Emeral - "I return 3 Normal Monsters from my gave to my deck and draw a card." Alternatively "I just straight up revive a normal monster."
Heartlandraco - Similar vein to Cowboy. "Okay you have 2000 LP left and a wall of monsters. Heartlandraco I attack you directly for 2000 I win."

Ehhhhhhh. DRXD isn't that great, because most people aren't going to leave big things on field to get hit. Ragna isn't that good this format, but was baller as gently caress when fire fists were everywhere. Daigusto is useful, but when extra space is tight, he's one of the first to go. Heartland is good in some situations, but in general, he's going to get passed up.

Current gud R4s are Utopia>Utopia the lightning, who can punch with 5k against monsters, and is armades, and is generic; and ptol>Cyber Dragon Nova > Cyber dragon infinity. To think of infinity, think what would happen if SHDark could also negate any effect once per turn by detaching, but in exchange it can only eat attack position monsters, even if they were normal summoned.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Lisandra_brave posted:

Ehhhhhhh. DRXD isn't that great, because most people aren't going to leave big things on field to get hit. Ragna isn't that good this format, but was baller as gently caress when fire fists were everywhere. Daigusto is useful, but when extra space is tight, he's one of the first to go. Heartland is good in some situations, but in general, he's going to get passed up.

Current gud R4s are Utopia>Utopia the lightning, who can punch with 5k against monsters, and is armades, and is generic; and ptol>Cyber Dragon Nova > Cyber dragon infinity. To think of infinity, think what would happen if SHDark could also negate any effect once per turn by detaching, but in exchange it can only eat attack position monsters, even if they were normal summoned.

I was mostly suggesting 1-card staples. not combo staples like Utopia>Lightning or Cyber Dragon Go gently caress Yourself.

EDIT: so lets go over why Cyber Dragon Infinity is such a hateful card

quote:

3 Level 6 LIGHT Machine-Type monsters

That's not too bad, it's got a hard summoning condition.

quote:

You can also Xyz Summon "Cyber Dragon Infinity" once per turn by using a "Cyber Dragon Nova" you control as the Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to that monster also become Xyz Materials on this card.)

completely invalidated by the ease in which CyDra Nova is gotten out. Still, it's fine for Cydragons and not much else.

quote:

This card gains 200 ATK for each Xyz Material attached to it.

Beefy

quote:

Once per turn: You can target 1 other face-up Attack Position monster on the field; attach it to this card as a face-up Xyz Material.

so it SHArks one of my guys every turn, and gets bigger from it. Uhhhh

quote:

Once per turn, during either player's turn, when a card or effect is activated: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it.

Oh, and it just flat out says "No" to whatever I want to do. Bullshit. But it's bullshit that's exclusive to Cyberdragons and- what's that? Tellarknight Ptolemaeus? The gently caress is that?

quote:

2 or more Level 4 monsters
Once per Chain, during either player's turn: You can detach 3 Xyz Materials from this card; Special Summon from your Extra Deck, 1 monster that is 1 Rank higher than this card, except a "Number" monster, by using this face-up card you control as the Xyz Material. (This is treated as an Xyz Summon. Xyz Materials attached to this card also become Xyz Materials on the Summoned monster.) You can detach 7 Xyz Materials from this card; skip your opponent's next turn. During each player's End Phase: You can attach 1 "Stellarknight" card from your Extra Deck to this card as a face-up Xyz Material.

...Oh. So any deck that can get out 3 Level 4 monsters has access to Cyber Dragon Nova, and thus Infinity. That's okay that's only... every deck in existence worth a drat! And several not worth any damns!

Onmi fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 7, 2015

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

I'd argue that lightning is better than any two from those four I quoted. My traditional go-to staples are cowboy, castel, exciton, and 39>lightning, as well as whatever else my deck tries to do. Burn for game, spot removal, clutch fieldwide removal, and running over big poo poo.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Don't overlook Stellarknight Delteros when it comes to generic rank 4s. He can detach an Xyz material to pop a card on the field, but more importantly, as long as he has Xyz materials, your opponent can't activate cards and effects when you Normal or Special Summon a monster. He's great for protecting your field when you're going for big plays.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I think what we're trying to say is it really does depend on where you want your deck to go. It's the Heartlandraco vs Gagaga Cowboy argument. Running both is kind of pointless, because you only have 15 cards. So you have to find out what's more likely for your deck, playing a big pay and the opponent being low on life so you can snap them in the face with Gagaga. OR are you going to whittle them down to 2000 LP left in your MP1 for Draco to attack in? A lot of people swear by Abyss Dweller but I rarely find a use for him.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Cool, thanks. I'm going for the dino/normal pendulum idea so a bunch of my slots are taken up by First, Evolzars and Emeral. Any advice on generic rank 6s to go alongside Solda?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Pretty good OP Omni, though the wording in a few spots is spotty. Mainly wanted to point out one major mistake:

Onmi posted:

"What the hell? My opponent Mystical Space Typhooned my Fire Formation: Tenki. And I didn't get my search effect off"
Tenki is a case of "Can" When you activate the card you CAN tutor a Level 4 or lower Beast Warrior. However because Mystical Space Typhoon resolved first, Fire Formation: Tenki misses the Timing, and you do not get your search off. Compare to Reinforcement of the Army. Which just says "Add a level 4 or lower warrior monster from your deck to your hand." There is no 'Can' and the effect always goes off.

"Missing the Timing? The gently caress?"

I'm not even going to try to sum this up
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Missing_the_timing

This actually isn't an example of missing the timing. Rather, it doesn't search because you destroyed a Continuous Spell Card, and Continuous Cards must remain face-up on the field for their effects to resolve!

An example of Missing the timing would be using Soul Taker on Fire Hand or Ice Hand, since the then conjunction indicates that gaining 1000 LP occurs after the destruction, causing When...You can... effects to miss the window of activation (missing the timing).

Good Rank 6 monsters include Number 39: Utopia Beyond (3000 ATK, makes ATK of all opponent's monsters on the field when summoned 0 PERMANENTLY), Photon Strike Bounzer(Negates monster Effects and burns opponent for 1000 LP), Constellar Ptolemy M7 (Once per turn, during either player's turn, spin one monster from either player's field OR Graveyard to their Hand) and Gauntlet Launcher (Destroys 2 face up monsters. Really good with 2 Monarchs). Also remember to include Gaia Dragon, the Thunder Charger, since it can be slapped on top of any of those to deal piercing.

EDIT: Also, more good Rank 4 monsters include Cairngorgon (2450 ATK with protection against targeting effects like breakthrough skill, book of moon, and mystical space typhoon), Gagaga Samurai (1900 ATK, gets to atack twice, can chump block), and Number 80: Rhapsody in Berserk (Banish 2 cards from opponent's Graveyard, can equip to another Xyz for 1200 ATK).

Julias fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 7, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Cool, thanks. I'm going for the dino/normal pendulum idea so a bunch of my slots are taken up by First, Evolzars and Emeral. Any advice on generic rank 6s to go alongside Solda?

Number 39 - Utopia Beyond. It drops all enemy attack to 0 when it comes in. Something I did not mention is when two attack monsters clash, the one with the lower attack is destroyed and the difference is dealt as life damage to the player whos monster was destroyed. Similarly if you attack a defense mode monster and your attack is lower, you take the difference in life point damage. Your monster isn't destroyed though.

Photon Strike Bounzer - Just good for stifling your opponent and making them play around him.

Constellar Ptolmey M7 - It bounces a card on the field or returns a key card from the grave to the hand.
NOTE: Extra deck monsters 'Returned to the Hand' return to the extra deck.

Gauntlet Launcher - "I detach 1 to blow your monster, now I detach another one because this isn't a Once Per Turn effect. You're down 2 monsters. Open field." Good for destruction when you need it.

These are of course not the ONLY Rank 6's that are good, always consult the cards for your personal play style. For the record I am home now and ready to play on either DevPro or YGOPro

EDIT: I'll go fix that, thank you for the correction!

Onmi fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 7, 2015

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!

Dino Rabbit is pretty much dead. While still playable if you don't see laggia turn 1 you're probably going to either hide behind backrow or pray you draw into rabbit/gold sarcophagus. Rabbit got limited which kinda hurt real bad.

A friend of mine tries to make dino rabbit work in today's banlist era but when he plays against me I just kinda run him over with Infernoids.

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

He's playing normal pendulums. He can poo poo two dinos onto the field easy with the power of pendulums.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!

Lisandra_brave posted:

He's playing normal pendulums. He can poo poo two dinos onto the field easy with the power of pendulums.

Oh neato. I wasn't sure if this was actually a thing but I guess it is

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Koguma posted:

Oh neato. I wasn't sure if this was actually a thing but I guess it is

Normal Pendulum really gave a new lease of life to the Normal monster. That and First of the Dragon.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I found the ygopro app and I've been jamming Burning Abyss Lightsworns (for novelty's sake) against the AI and it's sweet but I think I'm goofing up some lines to get Michael out properly.

Burning Abyss is a pretty neat archetype but the chaining with your own yard effects in BALs is kind of annoying. Afaik the big daddy dragon rulers are banned so am I just best off playing standard lightsworn or one of the hybrids?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zoness posted:

I found the ygopro app and I've been jamming Burning Abyss Lightsworns (for novelty's sake) against the AI and it's sweet but I think I'm goofing up some lines to get Michael out properly.

Burning Abyss is a pretty neat archetype but the chaining with your own yard effects in BALs is kind of annoying. Afaik the big daddy dragon rulers are banned so am I just best off playing standard lightsworn or one of the hybrids?

The daddy rulers are banned because they were utterly broken. Lis plays Lightsworn though so I'd ask her. And yes, Burning Abyss is pretty much defined as "Everything loving floats. You will never be rid of me, because everything loving floats

It's why Abyssworn is so powerful.

EDIT: Yu-Gi-Oh Lingo. To 'Float' means to enter the graveyard and trigger an effect, effectively making it a + for the card to enter the grave. Burning Abyss doesn't just have effects on the field, they also trigger effects in the graveyard, hence, it's not a setback if your Dante dies, as he and his material will all trigger effects.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So what is the consensus on the new Red Eyes support? I'm looking for a new deck to play aside of trusty Noble Knights but I can't decide between Red Eyes or Toons.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So what is the consensus on the new Red Eyes support? I'm looking for a new deck to play aside of trusty Noble Knights but I can't decide between Red Eyes or Toons.

It's bonkers good. Also Dark, since you're the other NK player, I was hoping you could also test to see how Empowered Warrior Dragodeus and Dragonox do in the NK deck. Because in theory they should be very splashable. Warriors, level 4, Light/Dark. Their monster effects search/revive 2000 attack or less Warrior/Spellcasters (They entire deck besides lady of the lake) and their Pendulum Effects can protect the battle phase/open offensive plays. Though downside it's a discard effect for Dragodeus.

Anyway I've been trying to make them work I was wondering if you had any ideas. This is the bad skeleton I've made

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Onmi posted:

It's bonkers good. Also Dark, since you're the other NK player, I was hoping you could also test to see how Empowered Warrior Dragodeus and Dragonox do in the NK deck. Because in theory they should be very splashable. Warriors, level 4, Light/Dark. Their monster effects search/revive 2000 attack or less Warrior/Spellcasters (They entire deck besides lady of the lake) and their Pendulum Effects can protect the battle phase/open offensive plays. Though downside it's a discard effect for Dragodeus.

Anyway I've been trying to make them work I was wondering if you had any ideas. This is the bad skeleton I've made

In theory they can work fine but the risk of brick hands seem higher with them on the deck. See, the searching issue with the knights isn't monster related, is the lack of a trustworthy way to get a NA on your hand.

Dragodeous in that sense is a poor tech since it both eats your normal summon and relies on being destroyed by your opponent. Dragonox is a good tech but its effect lack the sinergy of Chad's.

They do help the deck to focus on being a rank 4 toolbox but for that purpose there are better options.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The new Red Eyes are really fun to play but they can brick easily against decks with anti-special summon cards. The XYZ card is completely bonkers.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yo, this tot's got a terrible temper.

Also I thought floating meant cards that keep/contribute to strong field advantage even if they leave the field.
Like Yang Zings, theres always a Zing to replace a dead Yang.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Stratos is a floater because even if it's destroyed, just summoning it gave you a replacement. All Gadgets are floaters. All Yang Zings are floaters. Mecha Phantom Beast O-Lion is a floater. Gear Gigant X is a floater. Essentially, if you wouldn't mind losing it because it's done its job, it's floating.

And if that job wasn't gaining you card advantage, you're probably building your deck wrong.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

EDIT: ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Never heard it used in that manner before.

A floater is any card that provides a replacement on field when it is destroyed by battle or effect.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I always heard of "floating" cards as cards that are still on the field but are doing nothing but taking up a space. So a Call of The Haunted that has been activated but is not attached to anything because the monster has been compulsed.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Yu-Gi-Oh Lingo list - (To be added to the OP)
Note: Some of these are not standard, and are used by me personally and others I play with, others are more general terms that wont actually be used in conversation.

Beatstick - A monster with high damage output. Usually the easiest to summon for no other reason than to punch faces. Cyber Dragon was one of the best Beatsticks at 2100 attack and an easy summon condition. e.g. "Your deck could use a Beatstick."

BKSS - "Because Konami Said So" You must follow Konami's rulings on a card even if it contradicts the text on the card because Konami said so. The most famous example of this was Elemental Hero Rampart Blaster who originally printed with this text

Pretty straight forward? Actually no. Because Rampart Blaster can only use that effect if your opponent has no monsters on the field. Even though the effect is useless in that case. Does this make sense with the text on the card? No. But it's the rules Because Konami Said So. They did later errata the card to make more sense. But it's still a famous case

Bricked - To draw into a completely unusable hand e.g. "I've bricked"

Bounce - To Bounce is to return something to the hand after it has hit the field. e.g. "I bounce your monster with Compulsory Evacuation Device"

Cookie Cutter - To have a deck made almost entirely of staples with very little variance. The most basic kind of deck

Cycling - When a card replaces itself for a +0 effect. Upstart Goblin is a good Cycling card, as it draws a single card, gives the opponent 1000 life, and then enters the grave. In short, it effectively makes your deck -1 in total size

Deck Fattener - The opposite of Deck thinning, to fatten a deck means to add cards back to it, such as with the ability of Noble Knight Brothers

Deck Thinner - Any effect that reduces the number of cards in your deck, either via adding those cards to your hand, sending them to the graveyard, or summoning them to the field.

Engine - these are a collection of cards that work well together, but which do not form their own deck. Such as the Machina Engine of Machina Gearframe and Machina Fortress. Engines tend to be able to enter mutliple decks and support them.

Float/Floater - A floater is officially a monster card that replaces itself in some way. Not necessarily by hitting the graveyard. To Float, is the act of that effect being triggered

Floodgate - This is a card that limits one or both players plays. For example, Skill Drain and Vanity's Emptiness do not stop you from playing cards, but effects wont trigger and monsters cannot be special summoned.

Hand Trap - This is a type of card that is kept in the hand but is played like a trap card would be. For example Effect Veiler to negate an opponents effect. Or Swift Scarecrow to end the battle phase immediatly.

Limbo - the state of a Monster before it has entered play officially, during the time where it can be negated by a card like Solemn Warning, but before its effects will trigger. Also the state of Xyz material, they do not count as "Leaving the field" when used as an Xyz summon, or when sent to the grave either from the cost of an Xyz monsters ability, or the Xyz monsters destruction.

Monster House - a variant of a Brick, to draw into nothing but monsters in your opening hand, named after a similar trap in rogue-likes

Nuke - An effect that destroys a large amount of cards in play, wiping the board clean. Dark Hole is a monster nuke, Heavy Storm is a spell/Trap nuke. Exciton Knight and Black Rose Dragon are just Nukes

Overextend - To play more monsters or spells than necessary, opening yourself to mass removal, when you cannot go for game or when you can already reasonably end the game with what you have.

Recruiters - Monsters with the effect to summon other monsters directly from the Deck, such as Rescue Rabbit

Searcher - Essentially 'Tutor' from M:TG, any card that allows you to search a card out of the deck, you must then reveal the card retrieved this way.

Splash - This generally refers to how open a card is to being put into a given deck. Bottomless Trap Hole is open to every deck, while Last Chapter of the Noble Knights really only works for Noble Knights e.g. "You should probably splash in Bottomless Trap Hole and Torrential Tribute"

Spin - To return a card to the top of the deck from the field

Suicide - Also known as Ramming, it's to run a monster with less attack into a monster with higher attack, usually to get off a destruction based effect. E.G. Running Giant Rat into a monster to summon Super Heavyweight Samurai Big Benkei.

Swarm - The process of rapidly summoning monsters to create a large field pressence.

I may be missing some, but this seems pretty comprehensive.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So I got the online thing and I just have no idea what I'm doing (though kudos to the system for having a really easily searchable library so at least I'm not completely floating in the deep end). I tried to build a super hero themed deck because why not and the AI murdered me in like a turn. Like literally turn one the AI went first, it put down like four cards and did the XYZ (I think) summon thing for a black card that had a ton of stat advantage and I was just all 'uh ok computer I guess you win this round'. I tried to go for a tempo kinda deck based around that trap that summons more low rank heroes when your hero dies and equipment and all but...yea there's no way for that to counter the AI just waving it's cyber balls in my face and dumping nearly all its hand to summon Face Fucker 9000.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So I got the online thing and I just have no idea what I'm doing (though kudos to the system for having a really easily searchable library so at least I'm not completely floating in the deep end). I tried to build a super hero themed deck because why not and the AI murdered me in like a turn. Like literally turn one the AI went first, it put down like four cards and did the XYZ (I think) summon thing for a black card that had a ton of stat advantage and I was just all 'uh ok computer I guess you win this round'. I tried to go for a tempo kinda deck based around that trap that summons more low rank heroes when your hero dies and equipment and all but...yea there's no way for that to counter the AI just waving it's cyber balls in my face and dumping nearly all its hand to summon Face Fucker 9000.

Can you post your deck list? It's worth noting that you're attempting to play a very slow deck, and the AI decks are typically based on meta decks or powerful archetypes (and for some dumb reason the old starter decks)

Here is an example of my Hero deck

Monsters

3 Elemental Hero Neos Alius (A Beatstick, brings Light to the table)
3 Goblindbergh (Allows you to get another monster onto field for an Xyz, or to get off Shadowmists effect)
2 Blazeman (Searches Polymerization, allows you to dump Shadowmist into the Grave, thinning the deck and putting another E-Hero into hand)
3 Shadowmist (The Decks core. Shadowmist when Special Summoned can grab a 'Mask Change' spell from the deck. When sent to the grave, it grabs a hero from the deck. It can only use one of these effects per turn. But an example play is using Goblindbergh to summon Shadowmist, Grabbing Mask Change, setting it, then on your opponents turn, using Mask Change to turn Shadowmist into Dark Law, searching a monster from your deck for more fun.)
2 Summoner Monk (Grabs Shadowmist from the deck)
3 Bubbleman (Can be used for Xyz, gives you water for fusions, rarely gets off its +2 ability)

Spells
3 A Hero Lives (A wonderful Turn 1 card. the lifepoint halfing thing wont matter because of the strength of Heroes
1 Raigeki (Staple)
2 Polymerization (Targets for Blazeman)
3 Reinforcement of the Army (Searches out warriors, all deck besides Summoner Monk is warriors)
2 Miracle Fusion (Lets you fuse Heroes in the graveyard)
1 Mask Charge (Retrieval Card, this is a personal tech)
1 Book of Moon (Staple card, good for getting through troublesom situations)
3 Mask Change (The bread and butter of Heroes now, gives access to the Masked Heroes)
1 Form Change (Tech, isn't necessary)
2 Mask Change 2 (Allows Goblindbergh to go into Dian, so if you have a Mask Change in hand with Goblindbergh and Shadowmist. You can summon Goblindbergh to summon Shadowmist, grab a Mask Change II, Then on your opponents turn, change them both into Dark Law and Dian.

Traps
1 Bottomless Trap Hole (Staple removal)
1 Crush Card Virus (works with Shadowmist, lets you utterly ruin high attack decks)
1 Ring of Destruction (Staple Removal)
1 Compulsory Evacuation Device (Staple Removal, bounces Xyz back to the extra deck, making them go 1 for 3 (Material and monster))
1 Solemn Warning (No, you do not get to summon.)

Extra Deck
Contrast Hero Chaos (Mostly target for Miracle Fusion)
Masked Hero Dian (Target for Goblindbergh, Draws when it destroys a monster.)
Vision Hero Adoration (Fucks with your opponents attack, powerful regardless)
Masked Hero Anki (For when you already have Dark Law out)
Elemental Hero The Shining (gains power for however many Heroes are RFP. Miracle fusion RFPs heroes in the graveyard. The math can be done.)
Masked Hero Acid (Blows up the back row, lowers attack, combos ridiculously well with Absolute Zero)
Elemental Hero Escurido (Dark Fusion, gains attack for Heroes in the grave. May be a Non-bo with The Shining but that's the joy of the extra deck, you don't have to have both out at once.)
Elemental Hero Absolute Zero (You do not care about 500 attack per water monster. You care about "When this card leaves the field destroy all of your opponents monsters." Read Mask Change, Read Acid, Put this in your deck)
Masked Hero Koga (For Alius, can be super strong and like Adoration drop enemy attack)
2 Masked Hero Dark Law (So important he's in twice. He stops your opponent from gaining cards outside their draw phase, and makes everything that goes to their graveyard be RFP instead, killing basically every deck that uses the graveyard dead.)
Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon (I've mentioned his stapleness before)
Castel the Skyblaster Musketeer (Bounces a monster)
Evilswarm Exciton Knight (Nukes the field when your disadvantaged)
Lavalval Chain (When you need a hero in hand, dump Shadowmist to the grave, when you need a monster for Miracle fusion, dump it. Lavalval Chain is very good at setting up your plays.)

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 8, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I came up with a Dino-Normals list. It is capable of some pretty ridiculous starts, but it's pretty all-in on slamming an Evolzar quickly and from my AI testing I've found it will rapidly hemorrhage value against the good archetype decks if it can't shut them down. A real backrow would help the gameplan out, but at the same time a critical mass of monsters is so important to this deck (I need to spend 2 setting up my pendulum zones, then I need at least 2 more to actually do anything meaningful with them) that I think I have very few potential reactive slots.

I've also only just realized that I can run Igknight's in TCG/OCG and that they're kindof great, so guess I should work out if they give me any good rank 4s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I came up with a Dino-Normals list. It is capable of some pretty ridiculous starts, but it's pretty all-in on slamming an Evolzar quickly and from my AI testing I've found it will rapidly hemorrhage value against the good archetype decks if it can't shut them down. A real backrow would help the gameplan out, but at the same time a critical mass of monsters is so important to this deck (I need to spend 2 setting up my pendulum zones, then I need at least 2 more to actually do anything meaningful with them) that I think I have very few potential reactive slots.

I've also only just realized that I can run Igknight's in TCG/OCG and that they're kindof great, so guess I should work out if they give me any good rank 4s.

Igknights are very fun, but yes you'll find that especially against Nekroz, Qli and Shaddolls (meta decks) that you'll need to move fast and hard. As the OP mentioned. Yugioh is a very fast paced game. And building a deck to minimize your chances of drawing poorly is key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHI1jW7ou10

Here's an Igknight playthrough

• Locked thread