Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
Grass was hit for the worlds banlist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Am I the only one to check out and get into Duel Links after Vrains brought it up? I mean the game is grindiest thing probably ever made but there's something really endearing about how its completely gutted cardpool has somehow put the clock back to Nightmare Troubadour time. :swoon:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I've been playing Duel Links for a few months. It's fun, but you've gotta dig your heels in hard for a few weeks so you can get some actually good cards from the packs to replace all the jank that they give you upfront.

Also protip: convert cards you really don't need (like the crappy basic vanillas) into gold and orbs at the Card Trader (you unlock him at one of the earlier stages), but keep a few life-gaining/burn/tribute/ritual etc. cards for when you run into stages that require specific requirements.

You can also find unlock requirements for specific characters online too, which helps. Also be sure to click on the lightposts/top of the cardshop/trashcan/fountain regularly for free gems.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Here's something googling couldn't actually answer. What is in your opinion the best pack to focus on to actually get a full archetype going? I've been buying for staples but I'm getting the lingering feeling that will stop working once I hit lvl 40 LD's based on my results against the Paradox brothers.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

MiddleOne posted:

Here's something googling couldn't actually answer. What is in your opinion the best pack to focus on to actually get a full archetype going? I've been buying for staples but I'm getting the lingering feeling that will stop working once I hit lvl 40 LD's based on my results against the Paradox brothers.

Tbh I'm not completely sure. At first I focused on a dragon-themed deck since they have good support cards, but their attack power is lacking, so now I just moreso have a good-old-fashioned cookie-cutter deck with generically good spells/traps/monsters.

I could see Gemini being decent with swarming capability thanks to Gemini scorpion and woodland archer, not to mention stats that aren't too bad for the game, but they're spread out and you have to buy a lot of those from the card trader. I really do like the Valkyrie structure for good Ultra Rares and Supers (Dunames Dark Witch, Adhesion Trap-Hole, nobleman of extermination, white-horned dragon, to name a few)

Chaotic Compliance introduced a lot of Psychics, sone gemini support, as well as the cards needed for Master of Oz Turbo (It has Oz, des kangaroo, and giant koala, plus earth the hex-sealed fusion is sold by the card trader), though if you're not going for those decks, the set really doesn't do anything.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

MiddleOne posted:

I bought a bunch of Valkyrie packs, and made a good Téa Unhappy Girl deck. :shrug:

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I just started a few days ago and the pack with BEUD on it has a bunch of the cards for Clown Control, and you can get Blade Rabbit and Labyrinth of Nightmare from the card trader super cheap. The pack also has some good ritual support with Crab Turtle and Sphere Kuriboh and such. Not sure it's going to be a sustainable strategy, but that's what I'm gonna try.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
For Duel Links I run a fusion deck focused around Black Meteor Dragon. It runs as many red eyes, meteor dragon, polys and black sheep as I can get, with some generic support and a few higher atk rank 4's to keep me afloat while I try to draw into my fusion pieces. It can be a bit bricky but I havent seen anything as strong as BMD yet in game. Oh god except gate guardian. I'll have to watch for that if I somehow let him get 3 tribute monsters out.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Charles Bukowski posted:

For Duel Links I run a fusion deck focused around Black Meteor Dragon. It runs as many red eyes, meteor dragon, polys and black sheep as I can get, with some generic support and a few higher atk rank 4's to keep me afloat while I try to draw into my fusion pieces. It can be a bit bricky but I havent seen anything as strong as BMD yet in game. Oh god except gate guardian. I'll have to watch for that if I somehow let him get 3 tribute monsters out.

Apparently Paradox Brothers drop a skill that makes you always start with 500 LP, Gate Guardian as your only card in hand and Kazejin, Suijin and Sanga on the field, effects negated and unable to attack.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dabir posted:

Apparently Paradox Brothers drop a skill that makes you always start with 500 LP, Gate Guardian as your only card in hand and Kazejin, Suijin and Sanga on the field, effects negated and unable to attack.

It's their lvl. 4 reward and :iia:

Well until lvl 20 Joey kills you with Hinotama that is.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes when I'm playing against the Vagabond I think that he has anime plot powers.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Very important information.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
As someone who never played the card game, I am enjoying the hell out of Duel Links.

Redchaostry fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 31, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's so much fun. :swoon:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It is something to do to pass the time for sure, but often I'm just wishing I had my decks in ygopro in duel links.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
As an obsessive collector this game hits a lot of good notes for me.Almost lucked out on the Paradox Bros event, only got 1 labyrinth wall.Thankfully that is all you need. Looking forward to continuing to collect 3 of everything.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
Duel Links current meta, only 2 decks I really dislike are Tea Burn and Relinquish.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm actually fine with Relinquished, he's not impossible to get around and Pegasus players have a tendency to over-rely on traps. Weevil burn on the other hand and it's RNG. :argh:

Do I even want to know what Tea Burn is? I never got past gold 1.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
Tea Burn is just Tea direct damage deck. They use Standby, Draw to get both players to start with 5 cards. Then just spam cup of aces, direct damage spells, and monsters that deal damage on summon or death. They win or loss by turn 2, and there isn't really any way to counter them currently. Just annoying RNG deck that takes zero execution.

Currently using a Mako deck and going back and forth between Gold 4 and 5. I just want the free SR from hitting Platinum 1. Kaiba refuses to give me a Champion's Vigilance. And gently caress Bakura, his drop rates have been complete rear end for me.

Redchaostry fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 7, 2017

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I swapped from using a Crab Turtle deck to a deck that uses Lycanthrope with Ritual Weapon to get ridiculously high attack. I'm also working on Meteor B. Dragon and Clown Control decks. This game is real stupid and I love it.

Also during the current Yugi event when you beat him and he says "I'm not good enough? Maybe I can't win on my own..." I CRY EVERY tiME

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hjalmar posted:

I swapped from using a Crab Turtle deck to a deck that uses Lycanthrope with Ritual Weapon to get ridiculously high attack. I'm also working on Meteor B. Dragon and Clown Control decks. This game is real stupid and I love it.

Mind sharing the lists? I'm only breaking 4k with a blue-eyes ritual deck at the moment and could use some alternatives.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
hearing people talk about duel links is like hopping into a hosed up time machine

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
But also very few card destruction spells or traps so poo poo like Suijin can be annoying roadblocks if you can't tank the damage. At least back then you still had dark hole.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

hearing people talk about duel links is like hopping into a hosed up time machine

It's legitimately a great Yugioh game. Whoever decided on 20 cards being the minimum size for the new duel format was a genius. Together with the games so far very deliberate content release cycle (very little removal and very little fast card-advantage) and skill system it facilitates the use of cards that I think never had their hay-day. Like holy poo poo what is even Parasite Paracide. Drop-off, combo potential and a 1000 burn in one card that Weevil can just put in your deck for free with skills? They turned this terrible anime concept card into something that actually has its own niche. The game is not perfect (People who bought enough packs to get more than one mirror wall deserve hellfire) but so far it is very interesting. It's a little grindy at the moment but for anyone versed in Hearthstone it's not really a bad thing.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

I haven't spent a penny on this game. I just use all my gems on Neo-Impact trying to get a drat third Desert Sunlight for clowns.

lovely I've-Been-Playing-For-A-Week-Why-Do-I-Have-Two-Mirror-Walls Ritual Weapon Deck

Lycanthrope x2
Senju of the Thousand Hands x1
Bazoo the Soul-Eater x2
Ally of Justice Clausolas x2
Neo Aqua Madoor x1
Beast of Talwar x1
Master Kyonshee x2
Neo the Magic Swordsman x1
Beta the Magnet Warrior x1
Ritual Weapon x3
Synthesis Spell x2
Mirror Wall x2

Obviously replace the normal monsters with things with higher numbers if available, Summoned Skull, Jerry Beans Man etc. Maybe get more Senju and some Sonic Bird and swap out the Bazoos? If you don't have any of the search cards, maybe run 3 of each of the ritual spell and monster. The deck is fairly bricky, so I use Bandit Keith's Restart ability to mitigate this. It's not an amazing deck for pvp, but against NPCs you can stall them out until you have two Ritual Weapons and then get that sweet, sweet 1800 points for dealing 5k+ in one attack. Oh, uh, and replace the Mirror Walls with stuff like Security Orb if you're not drowning in sulfur like me.

E: I sided in a few Enchanted Javelins to get some lifepoint gain challenges completed, but you get the idea

Skeleton Mom fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 8, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I have a worse selection of beaters than you but this look like something that I could actually pull off.

Hjalmar posted:

lovely I've-Been-Playing-For-A-Week-Why-Do-I-Have-Two-Mirror-Walls Ritual Weapon Deck

Hooooooooow :argh:

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Heart of the cards, probably.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hjalmar posted:

Heart of the cards, probably.

I'm 155 packs into the Neo-Impact box and that Mirror wall still lies somewhere in there taunting me. :negative:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

MiddleOne posted:

I'm 155 packs into the Neo-Impact box and that Mirror wall still lies somewhere in there taunting me. :negative:

You didn't believe in the Heart of the Cards enough

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

You know how my last deck wasn't great in pvp? Well I made a better deck. It's clowns, baby!

Currently Gold 5 and plowing through 'til they won't let me duel no more.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm stuck on plat 3 with a way shittier Yami beatdown deck so I think your odds are pretty good. I'd caution against running neither trap jammer or de-spell though.

EDIT: For reference, this is the deck.

I finally got my Mirror Wall, at pack 198 :suicide:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 10, 2017

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

What do I need Trap Jammer or De-Spell for? I don't fear Mirror Wall in this deck since I don't usually need to attack into monsters, and I guess I'd only be using De-Spell for, what, Wonder Balloons? Just kinda slows me down a little.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hjalmar posted:

What do I need Trap Jammer or De-Spell for? I don't fear Mirror Wall in this deck since I don't usually need to attack into monsters, and I guess I'd only be using De-Spell for, what, Wonder Balloons? Just kinda slows me down a little.

Harpies and Weevil primarily. I'd guess you struggle less with Jurassic and Relinquished than I would though.

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

I feel bad. I have apparently stupid good luck for some of the boxes and some skills. Got Destiny Draw on Yugi my first week of playing, and 3 mirror walls in less than 100 packs. Currently at Plat 1, but no real desire to goto KoG (except perhaps for the supposed free cards in the finals).

Need to farm Tea for 2 more berries and sage's stones, and Keith for 2 more Barrel Dragons. :suicide:

Redchaostry fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 11, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

HOLY poo poo

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Come on I need more than that

E: Might be this

One-Time Passcode
Normal Spell
Special Summon 1 “Security Token” (Cyberse/LIGHT/Level 4/ATK 2000/DEF 2000) in Defense Position. You can only activate 1 “One-Time Passcode” per turn.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I like noble knights! :D

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Not to be a downer, but based off other recent legacy support it'll only be one card. Not to say it couldn't be a good card like Fire King Avatar Ganesha or Spellbook of Rudra/Galdrabok, but we can only hope it's more like those than the new Mermail.

Also today's the day the new banlist goes into effect, :rip: Norden/Top/Grass/Pendulum haters.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

V-Jump is this week. We'll probably have info on the new knight then.

Also, here's a reminder that you're mispronouncing the names of Noble Knight cards.

https://youtu.be/nKabpY_t6Yw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

AlphaKretin posted:

Not to be a downer, but based off other recent legacy support it'll only be one card. Not to say it couldn't be a good card like Fire King Avatar Ganesha or Spellbook of Rudra/Galdrabok, but we can only hope it's more like those than the new Mermail.

Also today's the day the new banlist goes into effect, :rip: Norden/Top/Grass/Pendulum haters.

Oh I know, I'm just beyond happy NK are getting new cards. As long is not another Avalon though.

• Locked thread