Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Ladies and Gentlemen!! I am a huge proponent of the greatest type of summoning: PENDULUM SUMMONING!!

Pendulum Normals are such a fun archetype. They took the least used monsters and made them viable in local play at least.

My other favorite archetype is U.A. They're a TCG exclusive archetype of sportsmen who beat up the nerd cards your opponents use. The most recent pack released a ton of really great support for them. One more pack like that and they could be viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My deck building excercise right now is a friends idea: ULTRA ODD he calls it. He's taking his deck (the one my club uses to ensure basic competence at the cars game. If you can beat it you're at least competent.) and optimizing it, except he says 60 cards and 15 extra. The core of the deck still has to be: 3 unhappy girls, 3 unhappy maidens, 2 Fox fire, 2 spirit reapers, 1 raging flame sprite, 1 dice jar, and 1 marshmallon.
Beyond that you can add whatever you want, but it's bad form to make an archetype.

Just a thought excercise I'm playing around with.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm usually in a few IRC Channels on SYNIRC. I'm at work for the next four hours counting commute but afterwards I might be up for games if you can flag me down.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm in. I'll stream my matches.

http://articles.alterealitygames.com/announcing-the-arg-format

A distributor makes their own unofficial list. See if you can guess what archetype isn't touched at all there.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The most recent set are Burning Abyss and Ultra Athletes.
Prior to that, we had Noble Knights, and DRLG.
All this stuff is coming out in the OCG later. BA is one of the big decks now. UA aren't as disgusting but they're a lot of fun. Look at their equip card, and be aware that it is not even their craziest S/T.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
UA are my favorite archetype. They all have the shared effect "You can special summon this card (from your hand) by returning one U.A. on the field with a different name to your hand. You can only summon U.A. Whatever my name is once per turn this way."
They all have pretty good effects besides. Midfielder, the level 4, can activate that effect whenever, to cycle your monsters. Mighty Slugger has Armades effect (when he attacks no opponent effects can activate until the end of the damage step), Perfect Ace can negate one effect per opponent's turn, Goalkeeper can protect a UA, Dunker pops a card on life point damage, Rebounder can special summon additional UAs from hand or grave, and Blockbacker can negate effects of opponents special summoned monsters. Playmaker is bad. These are just the monsters. The spells and traps are crazier still. I'd link them but I'm on mobile.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I overextended when I equipped my jerseys to the Slugger. I likely could have gotten another turn to try something had I done something else.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Pretty awesome duel, although it gave more reasons to think that Jersey isn't as good as the Noble Arms :v:

Nah the flaw in that was that I'd used Pot of Duality instead of a different better card in the deck.

Jersey is still better than the Noble Arms.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Lisandra_brave posted:

Why would you run warrior lady of the wasteland over assault halberd in U.A.s?

Availability, partly (I copied my physical deck up), and partly because I can activate Stadium's effect on the opponent's turn with it and have a 2000 ATK monster that can negate effects.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

Today we are playing Card Games. I will be joining in. I have a stream. Click here to high five the sky with me.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Zoness posted:

(Daigusto Sphreez best boss synchro).

:yeah:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Ctrl+F "Agnus" 0/0. I'm disappointed.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Lisandra_brave posted:

So if you're targeting your opponent's monster, the materials were never going to be in your graveyard.

I faced a Cyber Dragon deck with my own a bit after my club did a mirror match tourney. He used Super Poly and fused using exclusively my monsters. I cut him off at the pass with a De-Fusion and got the cards back.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So I got to try out the Kozmos in YGOPro and they're pretty nuts.

Farmgirl can get out Goodwitch, and they can activate their effects during the battle phase. Also, a fun combo I got off:
My Serene Psychic Witch died, so I used her to summon a Farmgirl. During my standby phase, when Farmgirl was summoned, the opponent hit it with Bottomless. I chained Farmgirl's effect, summoning Forerunner, and it gave me the 1000 Life Points. Then I used Kozmotown to bring Farmgirl back to my hand and summoned her again.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

JamMasterJim posted:

Nekroz on Greydle?
I think that would brick a lot

The Nekroz was peter's :ssh:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Lisandra_brave posted:

We kaiju now.

My italian's rusty, but
"You can special summon this card to your opponent's field in attack position by tributing one monster he controls. You can remove 3 Kaiju cards from the field to destroy all your opponent's monsters. This card cannot attack the turn you activate this effect. "

Something to that effect.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Sorry about getting the one word wrong, but I got most of it right (forgetting a sentence), which makes me happy.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I like the RTS one, because I'm weird.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So I've been playing Melodious Lockdown recently.

It's fun when it goes off.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Dabir posted:

Guys.

Symphonic Warrior Gustos are pretty good.

Can I get a deck list? I like Gustos and I want to use them again.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My favorite lockdown deck:
The Lock:
3x Terminal World
1-3x Chacu Challua
3x Mausoleum
3x Timeater
3x Miracle Flipper
3x Anti-Spell Fragrance
The Draw Power:
3x Duality
3x Upstart
3x Shining Angel (For Flipper)
Then fill out to taste with staples/Creature Swap/Taunt/etc and whatnot.

How it works (Assuming an ideal hand containing Timeater, Mausoleum, Terminal World, Chacu Challhua, Flipper):
Get Miracle Flipper on the opponent's field (either by Creature swap or by forcing a kill somehow)
Play Terminal World
Summon Timeater (Mausoleum works, as does a single tribute (via Creature Swap)
Kill Miracle Flipper with Timeater
At the end of the battle phase, Flipper is summoned to the opponent's field
End turn
Opponent's turn: Draw Phase, Standby Phase, Battle Phase, End Phase
Your Turn:
Summon Chacu Challhua
End Turn
Opponent's turn: Draw Phase, Standby Phase, Battle Phase, End Phase
Your Turn:
Switch Chacu Challhua to defense position
End Turn
Opponent's turn: Draw Phase, Standby Phase, End Phase
Every turn after that:
End Turn
Opponent's turn: Draw Phase, Standby Phase, End Phase

(I also run Melodious Lockdown, but that's less once it's off)

Senerio fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 3, 2015

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Dabir posted:

Does anyone have a use for Destiny Hero - Departed? I've always wondered what the hell it's good for.

Rank 2 XYZ play. Imperial Iron Wall as well. Then you can summon dudes to their side, and then you have a weak monster on the opponent's side in Attack Position.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So did anyone get that new Legacy of the Duelist game? I'm wondering if it'd be worth getting.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
A fun pendulum "archetype" (though I use that word loosely) is Pendulum Normals.
Basically you take these five Pendulum Monsters (who also happen to be Normal Monsters):

Add in Normal Monster Support, (Fossil Dig/Heart of the Underdog/Summoner's Art/etc.), and then you can add other normal monsters to taste. (I generally add in Tune Warrior, a Normal Tuner, and Blue Dragon Summoner, who can search out Normal Monsters).

Overall, ignoring the support cards, I think the most expensive card in here is like $3.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 5, 2015

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

BurritoJustice posted:

I'm considering buying this just because it would be basically nothing to build a full deck from that. Doubt it would be too effective against the more crazy archetypes though.

It's not going to top against Nekroz or Shaddoll or Burning Abyss, but it's still a pretty solid deck. I run that and Ultra Athlete as my main two decks right now. (Though Melodious Lock and Greydles are great too)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Don't worry, we got first runs with NK, BA and UA, and are going to be getting first runs with Kozmo and Kaiju to compensate for the lack of good Symphonica.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Keep Stratos banned. Also ban SHArk and Castel. Also keep Lavalval Chained.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Dexie posted:

#UnchainMyBrotherLavalval

Lavalval Chain is bad and I'm glad I don't have to maindeck soul drain in everything anymore.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Legacy of the Duelist let me do the greatest thing.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Fixed the link

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My colleges club had a Cyber Dragon structure deck Mirror match tourney and Super Poly was the BEST thing.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Dexie posted:

So, what's a deck that can swiftly get out Beelze and Flare Metal?

Then you can use something like Creature Swap or Shien's Spy to pass Beelze to the opponent.

As long as they don't have effect negation, they lose.

I don't know who, but the card you'd want is Mystic Box.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Baal posted:

You'd have to make a deck that can not only create Rank 7s, but Level 8 synchros. Your best bet is to make a Red-Eyes Build that brings in Level 1 Tuners to make Beelze. The problem is you need to have enough of a field established for it to be realistic and for the opponent to not shut you down when they realize what you're doing, but that's the entire game basically.

Maybe Purple Eyes Chaos Dragons. Can use the Blue Eyes tuners to make Beelze and Red Eyes for Black Flare.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Just run Blackwing Turbo.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Hjalmar posted:

Oddly enough, this does mean that Statue works with Crystal Beasts, but that's a whole other thing.

It's such a great Tech into Crystal Beasts' side deck.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Lisandra_brave posted:

Rank 4 is cancer.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Xoidanor posted:

Also, I'm now up to 5 competitive deck variants built around the same 27 card Kaiju core, they are ridiculously versatile. Specifically, GhostKaiju, TellarKaiju, YosenKaiju, FistKaiju and MajeKaiju. Anyone got their own wacky variant? :v:

What's the 27 card core? I want to see if I can tech in my favorite Archetype and try to make GustoKaiju.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Dabir posted:

The playmat I ordered a few days ago arrived this morning.

Dang that looks pretty sweet.

That's neat. Mine is a rubber version of:

That came in

I got it from a friend who wanted the deck.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
What I recommend is find an archetype you think is interesting and look online for analyses of the archetypes you like. A good starting archetype is Wights/Skull Servants.

If you want to learn Synchros or XYZs try using some of the AI decks. As degenerate as they are, tellarknights will teach you the basics of XYZ summoning.

Also for pendulum look up the tutorial they put online. It's very helpful. I'd link it both I'm on mobile.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Just play on YGOPro/Devpro like the rest of us. I have a Physical U.A. deck and a Ghostrick deck (no Alucard though) but nothing more because $$$. (I'm getting the Yugi thing when it comes out for nostalgia sake though)

• Locked thread