Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

multiple posted:

I get where you're coming from, but I'm applying Occam's Razor to this. It is far simpler for this guy who is known to have access to fully automatic weapons and a poo poo ton of land to duct tape an Uzi to a quadrotor than it would have been to CGI all of this.

E: I'm pretty sure the sound is bullshit post production, watching it again. I still think the video is accurate.

E2: Oh yeah, the gunshots are too 'perfect' and the exact same volume as his yelling voice. Sound is all fake.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
There is also no receiver or anything, and I don't see were the ammo is stored. I think this was actually marketing thing for a call of duty game, no joke.

This is real though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqHrTtvFFIs

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

bitcoin bastard posted:

I get where you're coming from, but I'm applying Occam's Razor to this. It is far simpler for this guy who is known to have access to fully automatic weapons and a poo poo ton of land to duct tape an Uzi to a quadrotor than it would have been to CGI all of this.

E: I'm pretty sure the sound is bullshit post production, watching it again. I still think the video is accurate.

E2: Oh yeah, the gunshots are too 'perfect' and the exact same volume as his yelling voice. Sound is all fake.

You can say Occam's Razor all you want, but it's also reasonable to believe he didn't want th FAA to send him to jail so he used pretty bad CGI instead of posting a video of him flying an armed UAV in American airspace.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

You can say Occam's Razor all you want, but it's also reasonable to believe he didn't want th FAA to send him to jail so he used pretty bad CGI instead of posting a video of him flying an armed UAV in American airspace.

I apologize for my part in this derail.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Triple A posted:

Because ATF frowns upon that and their main way of expressing their displeasure towards that is torching down your house.

Guns on a drone is legal in the USA as long as the gun is fired by a human, if it's on an autonomous sensor than it's a mantrap and if it ends up killing someone you're probably going to get life in prison.

The video's a fake. If you want to get volume of fire on a drone it's got to be a FW, and pretty drat beefy one. Maybe a supremely beefy quad or r/c helicopter (i.e., like, 3/4 scale of a real one) would work to but I've only had experience with FW. Hmm... maybe some sort of recoil compensation is possible, but I haven't seen anything like that yet.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

bitcoin bastard posted:

it's not an uzi though, it is a pile of mostly AR15 gun parts and random trash that do not go together to make a complete gun; you are describing something that bears literally no relation to the thing that is depicted in the movie.

Keldoclock posted:

Guns on a drone is legal in the USA as long as the gun is fired by a human

A remotely-actuated electronic trigger on an autoloader would handily meet the ATF standards for prosecution as a machinegun, by their 'readily convertible' rubric, and if you aren't sticking it on one of the relative handful of registered MGs out there that's a felony. I guess it's potentially legal in that there's a nonzero chance you could somehow win the ensuing case and not go to prison until you're old enough to collect Social Security, there's a nonzero chance of lots of things.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

A remotely-actuated electronic trigger on an autoloader would handily meet the ATF standards for prosecution as a machinegun, by their 'readily convertible' rubric, and if you aren't sticking it on one of the relative handful of registered MGs out there that's a felony. I guess it's potentially legal in that there's a nonzero chance you could somehow win the ensuing case and not go to prison until you're old enough to collect Social Security, there's a nonzero chance of lots of things.

Yes, it would have to be a NFA registered machinegun. But if you love weapons enough to make a flying gun, you love weapons enough to get a Class III license and do it right. Or, alternatively, build your drone around a single shot break action or a bolt action or something. Or you could do it outside the USA. The world is your oyster helicopter gun.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Honestly installing a gun when you could be doing something like this is a maximum scrub move no matter what

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 9, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Honestly installing a gun when you could be doing something like this is a maximum scrub move no matter what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DcqnkzGEFQ

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That video is chuck full of good old camera tricks. The actual gun is firing off camera, the drone just hovers there, doing very little. Small explosive charges are placed inside the mannequins and detonated remotely. Then it's all overlayed with sound. No computer graphics as far as I can tell.

Then you can also use common sense and rudimentary knowledge of physics.
Full auto gun fire generates loads of recoil, the drone doesn't react to the shots at all.
Full auto gun fire needs many many bullets, and those take up space. Do you see ammo anywhere?

This is what a gun drone would look like:

sparatuvs posted:

There is also no receiver or anything, and I don't see were the ammo is stored. I think this was actually marketing thing for a call of duty game, no joke.

This is real though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqHrTtvFFIs

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Hey OP, this has been pretty interesting. Thanks for essentially volunteering to take poo poo from people to give your views.

Not all of these are related to the fighting/being a servicemember directly, but if you're up for having a go, I'd love to hear more about:
-What it is about Putin's foreign politics that make you agree with them, while disagreeing with him so strongly on interior politics? Do you agree with him in general on foreign politics, or are you referring to with the current situation with the Ukraine? My only real exposure to his policies are soundbites from American news.

-You mentioned that you talk to people on the other side and as long as politics are steered clear of, you can have friendly (or at least civil/polite) conversations with them. It seems like most of your issues are with the current government. If the current government were gone, do you think that the Russian government needs to be in charge of the Ukraine, or would you feel comfortable with a new government from within the Ukraine being formed? (Assuming it's relatively free of corruption). If you were ok with it,would you be ok with some UN/NATO thing supervising the formation? Would you want the Russian government involved in a large capacity in overseeing the creation of a new Ukraine government? What worries would you have if it were UN supervised?

-Somebody asked what you thought both sides were fighting for, but he did it as two questions on a single line. You answered something like independence (I don't remember the exact wording you used, sorry). I couldn't tell if you had meant just the Russians were fighting for independence, or if you feel like both sides are fighting for their own independence, but only one can win.

-Could you explain why you don't feel like Russia needs the trust of European countries? As an American, it seems like it essentially boils down to too much history on all sides leading to a situation where Russians feel like they've been treated like poo poo by other countries, and other countries are all "Lol get over yourself russia", which is a rough situation to fix. Regardless of needing other countries in a political sense, I've always found it sad that there's such a limited exchange of culture between Russia and other countries. Could you personally ever see relations growing closer with European countries, and what would it take?

I disagree pretty extremely with most of your opinions and stances, but we very clearly have led very different lives. (It's pretty hard for war to happen anywhere physically close to the U.S. for one). From how you talk about things it seems like you've got solid personal morals even if I think you do believe the wrong things, so :shrug:.
One of the things that keeps getting brought up when people are flinging poo poo at you is the whole propaganda thing, and I feel like it partially has to do with your strong defensive reactions when somebody accuses Russia of having done something. I know you've said you don't feel like it's worth your time, but I would love to hear more of an explanation as to why you feel so strongly confident that they did not happen. As an American, I have absolutely 0 trouble believing my government is doing all of the terrible poo poo leveled at it, so it is hard for me to accept somebody else expressing feelings that confident about the actions taken by their country.

Thanks again for the thread. Try not to get shot, and please don't let the terrible poo poo going on make you do terrible poo poo in response.

surc fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 10, 2015

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

surc posted:

As an American, I have absolutely 0 trouble believing my government is doing all of the terrible poo poo leveled at it, so it is hard for me to accept somebody else expressing feelings that confident about the actions taken by their country.

I just want to point out that this is a relatively recent thing. Up through the 80s and 90s even, we mostly still believed in our government. It really wasn't until 9/11 and the actions resulting from that that I started to see people lose faith.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
what is being done for Jehovah's witnesses in ukraine so they can practice their religion in peace?

It is sad when there is no rule of law and people do these things.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

RFC2324 posted:

I just want to point out that this is a relatively recent thing. Up through the 80s and 90s even, we mostly still believed in our government. It really wasn't until 9/11 and the actions resulting from that that I started to see people lose faith.

Hey the X-Files got popular in the 90's. The militia movement too, up til MacVeigh noscoped a kindergarten.

So has OP abandoned thread and/or pulled the pin on his martyrdom perk?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

RFC2324 posted:

I just want to point out that this is a relatively recent thing. Up through the 80s and 90s 50s and 60s even, we mostly still believed in our government. It really wasn't until 9/11 Watergate and the actions resulting from that that I started to see people lose faith.

FTFY

surc
Aug 17, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Uh, no. I was both an American, and didn't trust our government, before 9/11. Thanks though?

Also yeaaaaaaaaaaah the 50's and 60's actually did happen. (People distrusted our government before then too. :ssh:)

surc fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 10, 2015

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Speaking as someone who actually lived through and remembers it, the general feeling was that the government as a whole was out to protect us, tho there was corruption. It was different than it is now, tho, since people still trusted that the gov't had the nations best interests at heart, on the whole, with cases where they didn't being outliers.

Now we almost all assume the gov't is corrupt and cases where they have the nations best interest are the outliers.

Excepting crazies like McVeigh, ofc.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Thanks, when I asked about about a Russian dude's thoughts on current Russia what I really wanted was some American dude talking about how everybody in America felt one way about a thing because of his personal experience.

sausage paddy
Feb 25, 2009

surc posted:

Thanks, when I asked about about a Russian dude's thoughts on current Russia what I really wanted was some American dude talking about how everybody in America felt one way about a thing because of his personal experience.

Same, thats why I post here on the most troll-free forums on the net.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Pretty sure russian dude isn't coming back.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Maybe he's "on vacation"? Separatists started some costly attacks which so far was repelled by Ukrainians. I hope he at least gets a pay rise and gets paid in front this time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

alex314 posted:

Maybe he's "on vacation"? Separatists started some costly attacks which so far was repelled by Ukrainians. I hope he at least gets a pay rise and gets paid in front this time.

I think actually seeing money would count as "a pay raise."

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
all DNR and LNR forces have just been called back from leave.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
In other "totally obvious" news

http://www.onderzoeksraad.nl/en/ond...ile-parts#fasen

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

chitoryu12 posted:

I think actually seeing money would count as "a pay raise."

I have some completely anecdotal and unverified reports from trusted persons saying Ukrainian army personnel, esp. volunteers, are also getting IOUs instead of pay.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Keldoclock posted:

I have some completely anecdotal and unverified reports from trusted persons saying Ukrainian army personnel, esp. volunteers, are also getting IOUs instead of pay.

Sounds plausible, it has been common through military history.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Yeah, in WW1 soldiers were expected to keep track of how much the government owed them each month.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

When you get down to it, all money is a form of iou.

:goonsay:

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
Well I believe it of course, but I haven't bothered to verify, and my sources are civilians, not active personnel.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

When you get down to it, all money is a form of iou.

:goonsay:

This is why I have started the very important non-profit called Chicken International™ which seeks to teach underdeveloped nations such as Russia and Ukraine the importance of the barter system by placing price tags on items in stores that state the item's value in chickens.

Did you know most items you could find at a dollar store would cost you more than four chickens?!

Also answer my question about sex, OP. Seriously, are you getting any?

chopper city
May 30, 2009

you in the choppa zone
where choppas is a must

Noctis Horrendae posted:

The OP is a good example of just how effective Russian propaganda is. Scary.

every single other person in this thread is proof of how effective western propaganda is and i'm Actually terrified. theres usually at least some dissenting opinions even on SA

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

chopper city posted:

every single other person in this thread is proof of how effective western propaganda is and i'm Actually terrified. theres usually at least some dissenting opinions even on SA

It's not just westerners though, condemnation of Russia is pretty universal even among relatively Russia-friendly states like Brazil and India. Even in China perceptions of Russia have plummeted since 2013: http://www.pewglobal.org/2015/08/05/russia-putin-held-in-low-regard-around-the-world/

Is this another victory for "western propaganda," or is it possible that Russia is actually in the wrong here?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a giant Russophile, but

Flavahbeast posted:

Russia is actually in the wrong here

it's this. Russia is actually in the wrong here.

But then, it gets even worse. The worst people are the retards who then go "but US is also invading everyone left and right, they're no better!". OK, sure, but what does that have to do with this? How does this make Russia any less loving guilty? I see this train of thought way too often on the internets, and it really gets me going.

What I'm trying to say is, yes, the western propaganda machine is just as good. There's crying about the US invading everywhere, but most people don't care, much less do anything about it. Then, when someone applies this same kind of "who cares?" mentality onto Russia, those same people call them out on it, when they themselves are the hypocrites, and they don't even seem to realise it. I just can't decide which of the two got hit by the brain detergent worse. The ones who only see wrong in one bad guy, or the ones who see two bad guys, but don't care about either.

It really is a propaganda war all the way down, and the world is going to poo poo for it, and the west is no less guilty. "We're right, they're wrong." Newsflash: everyone's wrong, but some are more wrong than others. Just who's more wrong changes every now and then.

fake edit: I have no idea where I'm actually going with this rant, sorry.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Flavahbeast posted:

Is this another victory for "western propaganda," or is it possible that Russia is actually in the wrong here?
Both of these could be correct. Russia could be wrong and the propaganda could make us more sure of it and less likely to consider someone with a different take. We got a few hints dropped about bad poo poo he's seen and then drove him off with lectures disguised as questions.

Propaganda doesn't have to be all lies to work, it just has to convince you that someone else is not worth hearing.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

CrashCat posted:

Both of these could be correct. Russia could be wrong and the propaganda could make us more sure of it and less likely to consider someone with a different take. We got a few hints dropped about bad poo poo he's seen and then drove him off with lectures disguised as questions.

Propaganda doesn't have to be all lies to work, it just has to convince you that someone else is not worth hearing.

Oh yeah my post wasn't directed at the OP and I think trying to drive him away is counterproductive, I just wanted to respond to the idea that opposing the Novorossiya Project is inherently "western"

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

chopper city posted:

Examples? I don't really see where you're coming from.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Truga posted:

I'm a giant Russophile, but

it's this. Russia is actually in the wrong here.

But then, it gets even worse. The worst people are the retards who then go "but US is also invading everyone left and right, they're no better!". OK, sure, but what does that have to do with this? How does this make Russia any less loving guilty? I see this train of thought way too often on the internets, and it really gets me going.

What I'm trying to say is, yes, the western propaganda machine is just as good. There's crying about the US invading everywhere, but most people don't care, much less do anything about it. Then, when someone applies this same kind of "who cares?" mentality onto Russia, those same people call them out on it, when they themselves are the hypocrites, and they don't even seem to realise it. I just can't decide which of the two got hit by the brain detergent worse. The ones who only see wrong in one bad guy, or the ones who see two bad guys, but don't care about either.

It really is a propaganda war all the way down, and the world is going to poo poo for it, and the west is no less guilty. "We're right, they're wrong." Newsflash: everyone's wrong, but some are more wrong than others. Just who's more wrong changes every now and then.

fake edit: I have no idea where I'm actually going with this rant, sorry.

Can't speak for all Russians, but most people bring up the Iraq war for the following reason:

The US has demonstrated that it considers war and violence a legitimate tool to achieve some greater good. When push comes to shove, the UN is only a nuisance and international law can be bypassed to get some important poo poo done.

Knowing this, what is the point of following international law for Russia and other poorer countries? For the Russian government, bringing Crimea back home is the greater good, something very important that can't be done through international law. Why not do it like the US did, just get poo poo done? From their perspective it's a good thing, one that benefits all.

Yeah, I know that this argument is flawed, no need to deconstruct it. I'm just trying to point out that "well, you are killing and raping, so it's totally fine for me to do it too" is not a real argument that people actually make.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

waitwhatno posted:

Can't speak for all Russians, but most people bring up the Iraq war for the following reason:

The US has demonstrated that it considers war and violence a legitimate tool to achieve some greater good. When push comes to shove, the UN is only a nuisance and international law can be bypassed to get some important poo poo done.

Knowing this, what is the point of following international law for Russia and other poorer countries? For the Russian government, bringing Crimea back home is the greater good, something very important that can't be done through international law. Why not do it like the US did, just get poo poo done? From their perspective it's a good thing, one that benefits all.

Yeah, I know that this argument is flawed, no need to deconstruct it. I'm just trying to point out that "well, you are killing and raping, so it's totally fine for me to do it too" is not a real argument that people actually make.

I think it's important to also point out that the United States changes leaders more than once a decade. One government's policies aren't the same as the last. George W. Bush is not the same leader as Barack Obama when it comes to invasions. Drone strikes are murkier, but Obama reversed the wars that Bush put us in. On the other hand, Vladimir Putin has been president of Russia for more than a decade and spent the 4 years in between terms as the prime minister. The policy of modern Russia has spent virtually the entire 21st century shaped by Putin and the people he puts in charge of things and he's made many steps to stamp out democratic rule in favor of consolidating his own power, whereas the policy of the United States in the 21st century has been vastly different under its two leaders and has a good chance of being vastly different starting in 2017.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

I think it's important to also point out that the United States changes leaders more than once a decade. One government's policies aren't the same as the last. George W. Bush is not the same leader as Barack Obama when it comes to invasions. Drone strikes are murkier, but Obama reversed the wars that Bush put us in. On the other hand, Vladimir Putin has been president of Russia for more than a decade and spent the 4 years in between terms as the prime minister. The policy of modern Russia has spent virtually the entire 21st century shaped by Putin and the people he puts in charge of things and he's made many steps to stamp out democratic rule in favor of consolidating his own power, whereas the policy of the United States in the 21st century has been vastly different under its two leaders and has a good chance of being vastly different starting in 2017.

Yes, and that's one of the many, many reasons why the argument is flawed. I really hope this doesn't start a discussion of the Iraq war or american politics itt now. My point was just that everyone always considers themselves to be the good guy in the story and nobody actually spouts that stupid "but you are invading too" poo poo that's often brought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't actually mean Russians, I see these things in central europe fairly often. Not from the politicians, obviously (they'd get burned alive if they tried to defend Russia right now), but from quite a bunch of normal people. I'm sure Russians just think they're the good guys, just like the US thinks they're the good guys, while invading. It's the people in-between that often go "well, US is doing it too and nobody cares, why should we care about the other side??". When really, they should care, two countries breaking international law is still worse than one.

• Locked thread