Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Yes, that's exactly what I said. Not that your posting is terrible, but that you're genocidal. Stop posting.

But I like posting! Please let me continue posting, random internet person! I'll be good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

confused posted:

Yes, the posters in this thread are truly worse than someone who has voluntarily invaded another country and is directly and proudly contributing to the murder and horrible suffering of tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of people.

I thought community college lib arts majors were supposed to be all about the red flag.

E: Excellent name btw.

E2:

Chichevache posted:

Every person is committing an evil act by not taking their own life. The very act of continuing their existence is selfish, depriving the world of nutrients and air that could be used elsewhere. Be good, be dead.

This person gets it, please do the needful.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The only way in which a man can partake on evil is to have ill will; accusing people of being evil is in itself an act of evil, for a man is to seek an eradication of evil (which is a deficit of goodness rather than a presence of some opposite of goodness) without willful judgement, and therefore it is a sin.

- Thomas Aquinas ethics

A person isn't tacitly responsible for the acts of his government, because his legal responsibilities and moral responsibilities exist separately and in most circumstances do not infringe upon each other.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

steinrokkan posted:

The only way in which a man can partake on evil is to have ill will; accusing people of being evil is in itself an act of evil, for a man is to seek an eradication of evil (which is a deficit of goodness rather than a presence of some opposite of goodness) without willful judgement, and therefore it is a sin.

- Thomas Aquinas ethics

A person isn't tacitly responsible for the acts of his government, because his legal responsibilities and moral responsibilities exist separately and in most circumstances do not infringe upon each other.

To do good would be to make the world a better place through positive action. Instead I am posting on something awful for my own entertainment. This act is selfish. Selfishness is evil.

I am doing evil by posting this.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Chichevache posted:

To do good would be to make the world a better place through positive action. Instead I am posting on something awful for my own entertainment. This act is selfish. Selfishness is evil.

I am doing evil by posting this.

Yes, it does, yet living in a country whose government has started a war doesn't make you evil.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
I'm pretty sure it makes you either accept that war and killing of innocent people is an unavoidable part of human existence, or that you are a coward who refuses to give up his way of life (read:vanity) to protect said innocents.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Syndic Thrass posted:

OP are you more ashamed of being responsible for baby murders or being in TEST alliance?

There's no way this can get enough love.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Keldoclock posted:

I'm pretty sure it makes you either accept that war and killing of innocent people is an unavoidable part of human existence, or that you are a coward who refuses to give up his way of life (read:vanity) to protect said innocents.

Wilfully joining an unjust war isn't the same as living secluded from an unjust war declared by somebody else, or even being recruited to an unjust war. The just war theory is usually only cited in debates over collateral damage these days, but it actually contributes heavily to the notion of individual guilt-

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Keldoclock posted:

You're American, right? Afganistan's orphans, paid for by your taxes. You might try to argue that to be complicit in suffering is not the same as participating it, but that's a weak argument; horatio could just as easily say he never shot anyone, just took photos and passed them on.

Maaaaaaan, what is even ... like ...suffering? Maaaaan, deep stuff.

There is a 5000 year old Confucian riddle about this very philosophical problem. Imagine a man is shot by another man. Who is really to blame here, is it the man who shot the other man or maybe is it the man who made his pants? Or did they both contributed equally to the situation by shooting and making pants? No one has been able to solve this old riddle in 5000 years.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

waitwhatno posted:

No one has been able to solve this old riddle in 5000 years.

It's actually an elementary problem solved in most Philosophy 101 classes.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

steinrokkan posted:

It's actually an elementary problem solved in most Philosophy 101 classes.

Real talk: what's the solution? 100% curious

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

KirbyKhan posted:

Real talk: what's the solution? 100% curious

Well, the first philosopher anybody studies is Plato. Plato posits that goodness is virtue; and virtue is acting in accordance with the idea of the object of one's action (i.e. good action is whatever helps anybody to be more efficient and effective in their duties - goodness is therefore a measure of participation on one's being, which is in turn a measure of one's actualization vis a vis an essential quality, as opposed to potentiality). So providing pants for a man is a virtuous act, for it improves the goodness participated by the object by increasing his comfort without decreasing his ability to be productive.

The problem becomes more elaborate in latter philosophers, but this should be enough to describe the basic problem and its resolution.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Well, the first philosopher anybody studies is Plato. Plato posits that goodness is virtue; and virtue is acting in accordance with the idea of the object of one's action (i.e. good action is whatever helps anybody to be more efficient and effective in their duties - goodness is therefore a measure of participation on one's being, which is in turn a measure of one's actualization vis a vis an essential quality, as opposed to potentiality). So providing pants for a man is a virtuous act, for it improves the goodness participated by the object by increasing his comfort without decreasing his ability to be productive.

The problem becomes more elaborate in latter philosophers, but this should be enough to describe the basic problem and its resolution.

Checks out. I'll call Confucius right away.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

waitwhatno posted:

Checks out. I'll call Confucius right away.

Confucius is like the Coelho of antiquity, a loving mediocre thinker who is popular because he used aphorisms instead of more elaborate literal forms.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Confucius is like the Coelho of antiquity, a loving mediocre thinker who is popular because he used aphorisms instead of more elaborate literal forms.

I'm starting to suspect that there is really some retarded Confucian parable about gun violence and pants making that I'm not aware of.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

waitwhatno posted:

I'm starting to suspect that there is really some retarded Confucian parable about gun violence and pants making that I'm not aware of.

While that particular problem is not present in there, it's basically conforming to the fundamental philosophical questions. It's not like you made up something that is completely absurd, and that can't be related to existing philosophical schools.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

steinrokkan posted:

Would giving a murderer a more efficient weapon be a virtuous act?

sausage paddy
Feb 25, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SiylvmFI_8

A hurr durr, a blurr blurr, ima gonna make a difference posting online~nya! Just wanted to chime in to claim the high ground, tell the OP he's a sack of poo poo, and go back to posting in pet island and jacking off to my fefos. Im morally superior with a triple minor in english, philosophy and politics, so naturally its my duty to 'troll' this fantastically rare creature, an Interesting Goon, because no enlightened man should be able to hear what he has to say about his part in yet another hellish eastern european mud war.

OP, I have some serious questions:
Are there provisions for home visits and as a volunteer force what is the resignation process like?
Do you get paid well enough, have enough opportunities for advancement, etc, to consider this a career? If offered a commission in a National army to do the exact same thing, would you take it?
Do you have the skills/connections to get a drone-related job as a civilian after the war? Is there a market for commercial drone use? (surveying, agriculture, search and rescue etc)
Whats the Russian drone scene like, any proposals for mass drone use like what Amazon is trying to do in the US, are there a large number of drone hobbyists, what are your restrictions on airspace use, etc? Thank you.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

OP hypothetically speaking what would you need to pinpoint the locations of and direct a strike on everyone posting in the last two pages. assume you had the full support and resources of a guy with a moderate income in America, the country where most of them are posting from

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

OP hypothetically speaking what would you need to pinpoint the locations of and direct a strike on everyone posting in the last two pages. assume you had the full support and resources of a guy with a moderate income in America, the country where most of them are posting from

A bigger artillery piece than has ever actually existed, to start with....

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

RFC2324 posted:

A bigger artillery piece than has ever actually existed, to start with....

i am visualizing here something like those remote paintball guns hooked up to a webcam that can be aimed and fired from your browser, he seems pretty technically adept I'll leave it to him to work out the details

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

to be clear I am also including myself in this question, as after reading a dozen posts of insanely stupid dudes pretend to be even dumber than they really are about moral philosophy at each other I no longer wish to live. Please factor in if this changes the logistics of my request for remote artillery death any

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

i am visualizing here something like those remote paintball guns hooked up to a webcam that can be aimed and fired from your browser, he seems pretty technically adept I'll leave it to him to work out the details

Pfft, aiming by hand is so 20th century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxBa5bQfTGc

This kid owns.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

bitcoin bastard posted:

Pfft, aiming by hand is so 20th century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxBa5bQfTGc

This kid owns.

i do kinda wonder when the price point of like an old smartphone and some servos will shift such that guerrillas start leaving automated sniper booby traps scattered around territory where soldiers can't stay, or just as minefields that work at range

gonna really extra suck to be living in a former warzone soon

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

to be clear I am also including myself in this question, as after reading a dozen posts of insanely stupid dudes pretend to be even dumber than they really are about moral philosophy at each other I no longer wish to live. Please factor in if this changes the logistics of my request for remote artillery death any
I thought he was a drone guy though? Maybe he can teach you how to modify Amazon drones to drop parcels on people's heads or something.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

CrashCat posted:

I thought he was a drone guy though? Maybe he can teach you how to modify Amazon drones to drop parcels on people's heads or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU

For nonwatchers: basically you duct tape a SMG to a beefy quad rotor and set up a servo finger, not exactly poo poo that requires a degree.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

bitcoin bastard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU

For nonwatchers: basically you duct tape a SMG to a beefy quad rotor and set up a servo finger, not exactly poo poo that requires a degree.
Well done, but that drone is not real.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Nitrox posted:

Well done, but that drone is not real.

Pretty sure it is, FPSRussia is a white dude from the SE with a lovely accent who had access to lots of silly guns until his buddy got popped in a robbery. Why would he CGI something as simple as strapping an Uzi to a commercially available quadcopter? I'm not saying what he made was useable, just that he actually made it.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 8, 2015

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

bitcoin bastard posted:

Pretty sure it is, FPSRussia is a white dude from the SE with a lovely accent who had access to lots of silly guns until his buddy got popped in a robbery. Why would he CGI something as simple as strapping an Uzi to a commercially available quadcopter? I'm not saying what he made was useable, just that he actually made it.

Because ATF frowns upon that and their main way of expressing their displeasure towards that is torching down your house.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
You think some fuckin idiot from russia realizes that?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Triple A posted:

Because ATF frowns upon that and their main way of expressing their displeasure towards that is torching down your house.

I am as sure that they did this as I am that they didn't read any rule books before doing it.

E: Less snark: The ATF doesn't have a rule on drones specifically, at least not to my knowledge. What they do have a rule on is anything that isn't a human being pulling the trigger.

E2: Also that \/

E3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5fts7bj-so

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 8, 2015

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Triple A posted:

They probably watched his videos too and had a good laugh. I always got the impression he was out in the boonies anyway, nobody out there gives a poo poo or has the resources if they do.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Triple A posted:

it's already a registered machinegun, which is the part of that equation that the ATF cares about (gun+electronics usually equals MG, in their books). The FAA might or might not have something to say about putting a gun on a quadcopter but they're less a kill-your-whole-family type organization anyway. What he did is at least federally, right now, fine, but you can't do the same thing.

CrashCat posted:

idk man what's really the difference between a remote control airplane and a remote control car or sentry turret or whatever. I'd probably have some actual questions related to this but I also don't want to risk getting into a thing where I'm like brainstorming with a guy who's actually shooting people on ways to get creative with that

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 8, 2015

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

It was 38,2 degrees in my city today and I want to die. The best part is forecast calls for this kind of weather (mid to high 30s) for the next two weeks. :suicide:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Pale Horse posted:

It was 38,2 degrees in my city today and I want to die. The best part is forecast calls for this kind of weather (mid to high 30s) for the next two weeks. :suicide:
Saw red weather alert for Poland. Orange in Latvia. gently caress heat waves. :smith:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

idk man what's really the difference between a remote control airplane and a remote control car or sentry turret or whatever. I'd probably have some actual questions related to this but I also don't want to risk getting into a thing where I'm like brainstorming with a guy who's actually shooting people on ways to get creative with that

The ME is our generation's moon. Technological advancement through killing browns. OP is just trying to emulate 2000-2010s America.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

kalstrams posted:

Saw red weather alert for Poland. Orange in Latvia. gently caress heat waves. :smith:

Whoops, this was meant to go in the EE thread. But yeah, it's mercilessly hot here. The worst heat wave in memory. Today was an all time record for my city and it might still get hotter.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

bitcoin bastard posted:

It seems to be the end of a gun glued on to a quad copter that becomes cg as soon as it takes off.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

sparatuvs posted:

It seems to be the end of a gun glued on to a quad copter that becomes cg as soon as it takes off.

lol I couldn't sit through his stupid loving accent for the detail shots but with the sound turned off that's a couple bits of rifle barrel with a bit of like vaccuum cleaner hose jammed in the back of it. Hypothetically if you had an NFA machinegun you could stick whatever to the trigger and the ATF wouldn't have poo poo to say about it, even if the recoil makes your drone Death Blossom the range

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The reason I think it's fake is because that sound effect is virtually identical to an old sound effect used in many video games and amateur films for a machine gun (and sound way, way different from how automatic weapons sound in any of his other videos) and he's got a badly implemented CG muzzle flash that seems to have been taken from Action Essentials.

• Locked thread