Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tirinal posted:

It's technically F2P, but it's not like this is some glorious new alternative to the box price model of years past.

It takes ~70 boosters to unlock everything if you do the campaigns and get random incidental gold from quests and stuff. That is 52 days of grind at ten wins a day. Let's be charitable and assume you win two games for every loss. That comes to 15 games, or easily 2+ hours a day every day for two months just to get to the point where you're not hobbled in deck construction.

Or you could just buy the 10k gold needed outright, which will run you ~$50. Previous titles were what, $15?

I'm an adult with a job, and (if the rest of the game wasn't poo poo) I would honestly rather just unlock all the cards with real money. Except apparently WotC thinks it should cost me as much as buying, say, Witcher 3. gently caress that.

That math is incorrect.

~70 boosters. 150 gold per booster. 200 gold cap + 20 gold for first win + 40 gold for daily quest = 260 gold per day. 40 days to unlock everything.

Now, keep in mind that unless you're incredibly unlucky, you will be able to make many decks you want before unlocking literally every card, as the game of Magic has five colors.

40 days to unlock the entire set without paying a dime, and 2 months to play with that set until the next one comes out.

I'm not defending Wizards lying, but 40 days to unlock every single card well ahead of the next expansion seems generous, especially by WOTC standards. It could have been MUCH worse.

:shrug:

I'll reserve judgement until the game is out (hopefully Wednesday!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Well, to be fair, it will only take 0 days to unlock everything if the steam version has client side saves at launch.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

precision posted:

edit: ^^^^ You expected them to launch Origins with a thousand cards or something? They need to see if this model makes money first, and if it does, I'm sure they'll throw as many cards as they can into it. Also, while the fact that they lied about the daily gold cap sucks, it looks like it will take around 30-40 days of hitting the gold cap to unlock every card. That seems perfectly reasonable to me, considering Hearthstone could take you 6 months to even get your first Legendary. How is this game not "true" F2P?

Forge is cool, but playing Magic against a computer is never exciting to me. You can't bluff a computer.

Spellweaver actually is quite good. It's true that nobody is ever online though. :\

No, I expected them to launch it with the cards in Origins that actually work in Duels. That's really not asking much at all. There's no reason that the spell I described cannot be in. Cards like the 2R 3/2 Goblin with intimidate are also not in. It's maybe fifteen total cards that I'm talking about.

The Human Crouton posted:

I actually expected it to launch with every card from the Origins set, but it appears they are taking out some of the more complex cards. This is very confusing to me because I thought the Origins set was designed to be used in this game.

There are some cards that legitimately won't work in the Duels format, EG: creatures that tap for mana because there is no mana pool. There are plenty of simple cards they didn't put in, like the goblin example, I understand that they're not going to put cards like Starfield of Nyx in duels.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 13, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WarEternal posted:

No, I expected them to launch it with the cards in Origins that actually work in Duels. That's really not asking much at all. There's no reason that the spell I described cannot be in. Cards like the 2R 3/2 Goblin with intimidate are also not in. It's maybe fifteen total cards that I'm talking about.

That's fair, but you did notice that those "missing" cards have been augmented by cards from sets other than Origins, right? In Black alone I'm seeing:

Gurmag Swiftwing
Scarred Vinebreeder
Bloodflow Connosseuir
Lys Alana Scarblade
Bitter Revelation
Gravedigger
Necromantic Thirst
Dreg Reaver
Nightfire Giant
Rise From the Grave

I'm perfectly OK with them cutting some Origins cards for those, since most of those are Pretty Cool Cards. In fact if the game simply had every Origins card and nothing else, I would be put off.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
So I haven't been able to connect to the server today. Apparently if you can't connect to the server then your single player progress cannot be saved so uh, be aware of that when doing the pain in the rear end story matches.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Jibo posted:

So I haven't been able to connect to the server today. Apparently if you can't connect to the server then your single player progress cannot be saved so uh, be aware of that when doing the pain in the rear end story matches.

After people being unable to earn gold for days, WotC pulled all the servers for over 24 hours. They just went up again.

Naturally, people are still unable to earn gold. It looks like the downtime was just Wizards deciding that an iOS game needs downtime.

I'm actually getting more entertainment out of watching this game fail than I ever would have had it succeeded, so I suppose this is a token victory.

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

This could have been a good game. I don't have any real complaints though, as the game instantly crashes when I try to launch it on my phone.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I don't understand why Stainless is in charge of Duels again despite every single iteration being riddled with bugs and just overall poorly coded.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
There was a maintenance, game's back, people are still capped on gold.

Anyone wanna take bets against the gold cap being all-time, and not daily, intentionally? :mrgw:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
WOTC have lied, but there's no way they'd lie to that extent. Their whole PR push has been "this is a truly F2P game, you never have to spend real money".

My guess is more along the lines of "Stainless don't know poo poo about iOS", it's always the version with the most bugs and this particular version was intended to be "future proof" so that people don't have to download a new program every year. Which means they probably bloated it with all kinds of lovely optimization.

If you've been watching the Steam streams, the game appears perfectly functional on there.

imatree
Nov 18, 2005
ok...

Grimey Drawer
Is this coming out tomorrow on Steam? I find it weird that there is no news about it anywhere except for reviews of the ios version, which seem to be either really amazing, or really lovely.

Something tells me this will not end well.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Also the community quest is complete but not triggering the reward and expires in a little over a day. Good job Stainless.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The iOS requirements for this are just absurd.

The LOWEST level device it'll run on is a 5S, iPad Mini 2 or iPad Air (so A8 processor).
Really? REALLY? I mean, I can run it cause I have a Mini 3 and 5S (though why I'd play this on my iPhone, I don't know).

To put it in perspective, Hearthstone can run on a 4S, iPod Touch 5 and iPad 2 (A5). Granted, its rare that the A5 is still supported by a lot of apps, but for the BIG ones its expected.

You've got to have some pretty awful or lazy programmers for your app to only run on devices that are 2 years old. Going by reviews, its even unstable on anything older than an Air 2 or iPhone 6.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 14, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

imatree posted:

Is this coming out tomorrow on Steam? I find it weird that there is no news about it anywhere except for reviews of the ios version, which seem to be either really amazing, or really lovely.

Something tells me this will not end well.

No, this is actually what happens every year. I'm not sure Wizards have directly given a concrete release date for Duels ever. The release date is usually discovered on some obscure gaming news site that forgot to keep quiet. This year, a pulled article said 8th for iOS, 15th for Steam, same as last year (one week head start on iOS). Reviewers have been playing the game all week on Steam, so a tomorrow release is pretty likely.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

gently caress, I play DotP 2013/14 on my ipad all the time. I can't even play this lovely release without an upgrade. It's really hard to believe a tabletop card game could be that demanding from a programming perspective. Maybe every letter of every word on every card is its own object.

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007
What I don't understand is how some of these bugs even got close to making it to the release. I can make a custom black/red deck and win a match but I get no credit for it on my quest which clearly says win duels with a black/red deck. For something so basic to make it through I can only assume they did absolutely no QA testing whatsoever. It's really pathetic but I hope the Steam version magically doesn't suffer the same bugs cause I would love to play this.

imatree
Nov 18, 2005
ok...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I tried playing the ios version but it's utter poo poo. Hopefully the Steam version is better. I don't really care about the gold cap, but all those bugs and the ui being such poo poo with a touch screen is what makes me want to throw my phone out the window, and I like my phone.

Rhym
Jan 2, 2007
Helloes?
Sad times :(

https://twitter.com/Wizards_MagicEU/status/621295026946109440

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Holy poo poo they are so bad at this its ridiculous

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Am I right in thinking that there's no way to acquire a specific card other than buying packs and hoping you get lucky? That seems like a really critical difference between Hearthstone and this, and, indeed, between this and real Magic where you can trade for the cards you want or just buy them outright. I'd guess there's a big psychological difference between saving up dust for a Doctor Boom and grinding gold for a low-probability chance at whatever his mythic equivalent turns out to be.

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007
WOTC: If we don't announce anything, we never have to push it back!

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

vegetables posted:

Am I right in thinking that there's no way to acquire a specific card other than buying packs and hoping you get lucky? That seems like a really critical difference between Hearthstone and this, and, indeed, between this and real Magic where you can trade for the cards you want or just buy them outright. I'd guess there's a big psychological difference between saving up dust for a Doctor Boom and grinding gold for a low-probability chance at whatever his mythic equivalent turns out to be.

Except you can't open duplicate cards past what you can use and you're guaranteed to get whatever card you want within 70 packs. In comparison, if you dust every single card you open including any legendaries in Hearthstone, you're guaranteed to get the single card you want after 16 packs.

I don't like what Wizards is doing and won't be playing this, but the model is by far more fair than Hearthstone's. They're not really comparable anyway, imo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yeah this is just a goddamn shitshow now.

Good thing Card Hunter got added to Steam, I'm having fun getting back into that.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

They doubled gold cap to 400 and gave everyone 400 gold coins, if you've played it.

They also officially announced the release date for the Steam version as "before the end of July"

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

precision posted:

Yeah this is just a goddamn shitshow now.

Good thing Card Hunter got added to Steam, I'm having fun getting back into that.

I was all excited for this because I stopped playing Card Hunter forever ago when my desktop computer broke because I can't see poo poo on the TV my HTPC is hooked up to in the browser based game.

Except it seems like it's pretty much just running the browser game and there's no resolution or text size options available so I still can't play it. :(

Minrad posted:

They doubled gold cap to 400 and gave everyone 400 gold coins, if you've played it.

They also officially announced the release date for the Steam version as "before the end of July"

This is great news. Almost three packs worth of gold and a daily cap that will require poopsocking to reach.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Minrad posted:

That's certainly a release date.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

precision posted:

Spellweaver actually is quite good. It's true that nobody is ever online though. :\

Checked this out based on the talk in this thread and it does seem quite good, Give it a try if you are looking for a digital tcg to play and don't like hearthstones simplicity/rng focus.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

Checked this out based on the talk in this thread and it does seem quite good, Give it a try if you are looking for a digital tcg to play and don't like hearthstones simplicity/rng focus.

Yeah I've been playing it since somebody mentioned it earlier and it owns. I don't know how bad the f2p part will get but it seems pretty generous so far.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Jibo posted:

This is great news. Almost three packs worth of gold and a daily cap that will require poopsocking to reach.

Yeah, it's much much better. I had the same thought. 400 is reasonable because you can't really be expected to reach that per day anyway. If they continue to make positive steps the game could have a chance.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
400 gold cap that doesn't take into account Quests (so the gold cap is more like 450-500 a day) is a pretty drat good way to say "We're sorry we're so loving incompetent".

Some articles said that they were planning on releasing Origins this weekend after the paper set launch, but I'm done speculating, WOTC gonna WOTC.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Minrad posted:

"When we fix the bug that stops it from crashing every 5 minutes"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pawn 17 posted:

"When we fix the bug that stops it from crashing every 5 minutes"

The game is actually very stable on Steam. The guy that's been streaming it has archived his streams if you check his channel.

Either they never planned on releasing it this week at all (doubtful) or they are making sure the gold and quest systems are unfucked.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
So, uh, is it me or did they fix the lack of gold rewards from wins only to break the gold rewards from daily firsts?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

tirinal posted:

So, uh, is it me or did they fix the lack of gold rewards from wins only to break the gold rewards from daily firsts?

I have a feeling this game is spaghetti coded as hell. Really bad sign for a game that is supposed to be expanded upon indefinitely.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

I have a feeling this game is spaghetti coded as hell. Really bad sign for a game that is supposed to be expanded upon indefinitely.

Well, I'm having 'searching for other players' go on indefinitely without finding anyone in a game a week old, so I guess it won't matter long.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Worked for MTGO

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Andrast posted:

Worked for MTGO

Did it?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Come on wizards, I just want to play your dumb game. I know it's going to be bad for me in multiple ways.

Also the developement of MTGO has been an amazing shitshow for the entirety of its existence. It's like they hired writers from WWE to manage the project.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

StoryTime posted:

Come on wizards, I just want to play your dumb game. I know it's going to be bad for me in multiple ways.

Also the developement of MTGO has been an amazing shitshow for the entirety of its existence. It's like they hired writers from WWE to manage the project.

I don't know, WWE writers sometimes accidentally do something that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

also worked for Hearthstone

hell it's probably the biggest card game worldwide right now. a game where one of the most important class cards in the game didn't work properly for a span of like... six months.

• Locked thread