Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'll always miss Foundry Street Citizen but this new expansion has put RDW on the right foot again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Amonkhet has a little "something for everyone", especially w/r/t synergy with the past sets, probably because people threw a fit over how insular and narrow in scope AER was.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Amonkhet was finalized a year ago, public reaction to AER will impact sets years from now.

It does feel like R&D pulled its head out of its rear end though. The set is perhaps lower powered but plays fantastic with older mechanics. Tap a Mindwrack in your upkeep to crew a Heart, then Prepare to hit delirium from two types, swing for ten. Look at all those mechanics interacting beautifully.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
People are running Never/Return just for the Never side. What, splashing for Anguished Unmaking is too effective for you?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

precision posted:

People are running Never/Return just for the Never side. What, splashing for Anguished Unmaking is too effective for you?

???

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The enchantment dream is real.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
What enchantment synergy do you run besides the green rare 2 drop who gives you life and makes them cheaper? I always found I wasn't running enough auras for sram to be worth it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah auras that go on your own creatures are garbage, I only run two of them in the whole deck and they're both Cartouches mainly to get back my Trials.

Auras that go on your own lands or tap down or exile opponent's creatures are where it's at. That and global enchants.

Uhh enchantment synergy specifically is Auramancer and Sigil of the Empty throne.

It's basically ramp enchantments with token enchantments with some synergy for both tokens and enchantments.

With Gift of Paradise you have to be careful about how you tap it, the automatic tapping will gently caress you especially when Censor is in play. I've had a Sandwurm Convergence censored with 8 lands on the board and a Gift of Paradise that didn't do its thing.

Oh I should be running Sram lol.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 1, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I made an Esper Flash No PW Allowed deck and it's pretty good tho lack of efficient sweepers hurts it against aggro.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 3, 2017

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Not sure what's going on, but the new hard AI decks seem to be impossible to beat now... I'm having a really tough time even grinding :(

Any starter tips? Been making a bunch of decks with just 1/3 of Origins and none of them seem to be good enough.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I think people recommend building up kaladesh and origins first because they're better "standalone" sets. It used to be the AI was very bad at dealing with aggro running combat tricks, but maybe that's changed.

Also, has anyone else had quest progress not record due to how crap the servers are now? Happened to me for the first time today.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

KLD and AER in duels have the highest power level combined of all Duels blocks. You do need to open the rare and mythic vehicles from both sets but slapping vehicles on top of any creature-based shell is disgustingly effective. Mardu with all the vehicle synergies is just gross.

Until then you could take advantage of all the blue and green value cards and emerge creatures in the starter pile to make a grindy tokens + fliers deck.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Tezzeract posted:

Not sure what's going on, but the new hard AI decks seem to be impossible to beat now... I'm having a really tough time even grinding :(

Any starter tips? Been making a bunch of decks with just 1/3 of Origins and none of them seem to be good enough.

For grinding you ought to make a deck emphasizing the potential for brutal opening hands, and ignore consistency. Mulligan to something that will win the game outright, restart the match if you don't get it.

Try a R/W/x thing with evasion and combat tricks. Trial of Solidarity and Kytheon's Tactics on a pile of Gust Walkers and Skyhunter Skirmishers will do fine. Or throw trample and a couple Giant's Strength on a Champion of Ionas.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
If I just installed this and ran through the tutorial missions, what's the best way to make gold/expand my collection so I can play against friends? Will purchasing + completing other missions/campaigns give me gold rewards as well, or am I supposed to just grind against random AI opponents with my crappy pregen decks?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Just play a simple and effective archetype with a curve that makes sense against humans. There's a lot of room at the low end to win games.

Do quests to increase your income.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ghost of Starman posted:

If I just installed this and ran through the tutorial missions, what's the best way to make gold/expand my collection so I can play against friends? Will purchasing + completing other missions/campaigns give me gold rewards as well, or am I supposed to just grind against random AI opponents with my crappy pregen decks?
The other campaigns will give you essentially a booster each, possibly more (some have bonuses, I think?) and unlock more in your starter box. Once you're done that I think you can build a sort of ok WR deck to grind with if you want.

It's a pretty long rear end grind at this point so you may want to buy some packs to help yourself a long, but a completed account is a ton of money.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm still salty about superfriends. What a boring, lovely matchup. Sure you managed to stabilize on turn 15 with your four color goodstuff removal deck, good job rear end in a top hat.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anyone interested in Izzet Madness with all the cycling and discard rewards in blue in Amonkhet?

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Hey, I read that you're supposed to get three Origins boosters plus one each of Kaladesh and Aether Revolt from completing the various campaigns, is that still a thing in effect? I never got any of those.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm still salty about superfriends. What a boring, lovely matchup. Sure you managed to stabilize on turn 15 with your four color goodstuff removal deck, good job rear end in a top hat.

On the plus side, they're usually easy to beat if you're patient.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nah I lose to superfriends all the time. All those free activations add up.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Thank christ for Essence Scatter. I can finally play Grixis and feel not outlandishly naked.

edit: Whoa they broke grave and exile real bad in this set, huh. Good job, Stainless.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 15, 2017

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I love that the splits work like the old double cards in that Torrential can cast the sorcery-speed half, kind of like Isochron can cast a rule-breaking other half. Torrential Gearhulk is like one of the only times I ever want to cast the Memory half of Commit to Memory since doing it at their EOT gives me a tank full of gas, the untapped lands to use it, and the chance to use it all first. Overall Amonkhet is very underwhelming to me but Commit and a few other cards make me very happy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Spell Queller should be able to counter Never, since the CMC of split cards on the stack is the cost of the side that's being cast. But Stainless hosed that up, and it looks like the CMC of split cards is always the sum of both sides, even when one side is on the stack

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

On that note, how the gently caress do I get Jace's -3 to work with Dusk or Never? Everytime I try, I can only cast the other half.

Works fine with Gearhulk.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why can't Fall of the Titans target both a planeswalker and a player?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Because in the technical rules of Magic, you target a Player and then upon resolution have the choice to redirect all or none (no amount in-between) to a Planeswalker controlled by that player.

They just chose not to represent that on screen in quite the same way on Duels.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah it was kind of a lovely workaround grandfather rule because they didn't want to errata every direct damage effect in the game that said player to be "player or planeswalker" and that ended up having mechanical consequences.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also in Duels some effects that damage a player give you no option, they just damage the PW no matter what, which has lost me a game or two. I think Fevered Visions is one such.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yup that lost me a game today because I didn't understand how it worked.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I've been having fun with Temur control, which got a lot of new toys in Heaven to Earth, Reduce to Rubble, Pull from Tomorrow, Cryptic Serpent and new Nissa. Reduce to Rubble can keep aggro decks tied down on turns 3 and 4 while you ramp up safely. Heaven has great synergy with surge cards, since you can activate surge for one mana at instant speed without needing a target for an instant. With Natural Connection, Pull from Tomorrow, Fall of the Titans and Heaven to Earth you can ramp and play big Temur style splashy effects while still holding up counters. It is a very fun type to play.

Thing in the Ice and Crush of Tentacles complete your compliment of wipes and the rest is mostly burn spells, counterspells and planeswalkers.

Don't even bother with new Nissa's - ability, she's just a bomb that deals 10 damage on the turn she hits the board.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Current favorite win condition: Ob Nix emblem immediately followed by Memory. Granted the emblem itself is usually a win but it's fun to spontaneously 28 someone.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Heaven to Earth is such a fantastic card in my R/G ramp deck. If Heaven wasn't Instant speed, it would be "okay", but the fact that you can cast it for 0 at end step so you can Earthquake the board is dope.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Two-Headed Giant corner play of the day: Using Confiscation Coup to nab my ally's Bomat Courier and then discarding my empty hand to fill his up with four more cards.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You know, it's weird, Amonkhet is one of the better sets in recent memory but I haven't felt much urge to play lately. Trying to think of wacky ideas for a deck that I haven't already used. Anyone tried doing a Naya Zoo style deck yet?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Too many other good games.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Amonkhet will be the last new content update for Magic Duels. Hour of Devastation will not be released on the platform.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Developer communication was on a downward slope and the rumors of Magic Digital Next being real meant Duels was on borrowed time, but I didn't expect them to cut off our content updates in the middle of the block. At least give us Bolas after you've been teasing him for two sets, you fuckers!

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Sad but not unexpected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

RIP

• Locked thread