Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogo
Sep 24, 2007
Despite all its shortcomings I'm still having fun with this. I just can't wait till the steam version comes out so I don't have to deal with this tiny iPhone screen. The increased daily gold is very welcome - I at least have the potential to earn all the cards in a reasonable period of time although realistically it will take me much longer. One of the reasons I gave up on Hearthstone is because the grind was so crushing. Now when I open a booster, even if it's full of poo poo I at least know I'm one step closer to getting the actual cards I want and it's not a repetitive cycle of dusting hundreds of poo poo cards to get the one card you really want - ad infinitum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

MTGO may be ugly and buggy as gently caress but I'm not sure on what metric you would say that it isn't successful.

I finally started doing ranked duels in this. I've been putting it off because I've gotten nothing but garbage other than that 4 mana white mythic with built in Propaganda effect. But it turns out that common white weenies is still a decently strong deck, at least at this point in the game. Went 5 and 1 last night on the back of Elite Vanguard and Perilous Myr.

E: It's now been almost 48 hours since I've got a new quest or my first win of the day bonus and I still have yet to get any gold for the community quests. God drat this game is garbage.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 18, 2015

Rhym
Jan 2, 2007
Helloes?
Any news whether today is the day or do they plan to push it until the last possible definition of a july release?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Rhym posted:

Any news whether today is the day or do they plan to push it until the last possible definition of a july release?

No.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Rhym posted:

Pretty sure they are going to release it on the last possible day.

Anyone else on iOS having a problem with the game tracking time? I've been getting only about one quest every three days and have never gotten it to give me my first win of the day bonus other than on the very first online win I ever did.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rhym posted:

July 29th for Steam, according to Game Informer's review. They don't have a date for XBox One. Presumably PS4 is still "August".

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Jibo posted:

Anyone else on iOS having a problem with the game tracking time? I've been getting only about one quest every three days and have never gotten it to give me my first win of the day bonus other than on the very first online win I ever did.

The game is buggy as hell, I've had it complete a quest and never give me the coins, and the quest slots randomly populate (and frequently don't populate at all).

It's a decent time waster but no sub for real mtg that's for sure. The deck building restrictions are weird (only two of a given rare? Really? No mana creatures?) and the fact that you have to use the god awful deck building wizard to get credit for the archetype quests frustrates me to no end.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Gunjin posted:

The game is buggy as hell, I've had it complete a quest and never give me the coins, and the quest slots randomly populate (and frequently don't populate at all).

It's a decent time waster but no sub for real mtg that's for sure. The deck building restrictions are weird (only two of a given rare? Really? No mana creatures?) and the fact that you have to use the god awful deck building wizard to get credit for the archetype quests frustrates me to no end.

I've had the issue with not getting quest coins but restarting the app always gives them to me, I just never get the notification. Community quests however have never given me coins and they always run into negative time remaining for a while after they are done.

I really hope once the Steam version comes out someone will find a way to just trigger a poo poo ton of wins in solo battles to get you your coins.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Jibo posted:

I've had the issue with not getting quest coins but restarting the app always gives them to me, I just never get the notification. Community quests however have never given me coins and they always run into negative time remaining for a while after they are done.

I really hope once the Steam version comes out someone will find a way to just trigger a poo poo ton of wins in solo battles to get you your coins.

Wizards is so incompetent that they decided to store account data client-side in their microtransactions game, so I give it about two days before there's no reason at all to buy gold.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tirinal posted:

Wizards is so incompetent that they decided to store account data client-side in their microtransactions game, so I give it about two days before there's no reason at all to buy gold.

Incorrect. You have to be connected to their server to add gold to your account balance, and also to use gold to buy boosters, and also to open boosters.

It's probably not impenetrable, but it's not as stupid as I thought it would be (Magic 2015 kept all saves client-side and people hacked the crap out of that at first).

edit: this applies to the Steam version, not sure about iOS

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

woooo get hype for MAGIC. THE. GATHERING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyxWbXFEuaI

woo

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

precision posted:

Incorrect. You have to be connected to their server to add gold to your account balance, and also to use gold to buy boosters, and also to open boosters.

It's probably not impenetrable, but it's not as stupid as I thought it would be (Magic 2015 kept all saves client-side and people hacked the crap out of that at first).

edit: this applies to the Steam version, not sure about iOS

It's the same on iOS. However, the game does not require any checking during a duel which is why I do think you could theoretically rig something up to start a duel and have it count as a win instantly. Hell you don't even need to be connected during a duel to have it count, it just tries to phone home at the end and will give you a chance to connect to cash in your win. However at 15 coins per solo battle, it would take a poo poo ton of wins to get your packs unless someone worked out a way to automate it.

In other news I finally got my coins for the community quest that ended more than a day ago. I still haven't gotten my first victory of the day bonus in however long though.

I'm also probably about a dozen packs in and have yet to pull much more that straight garbage.

Tom Gorman posted:

woo

The quality of this song is relative to the quality of this game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tom Gorman posted:

woo

I wish they hadn't stopped making animated cards. Some of the animated ones in 2014 were extremely cool (It That Betrays, Angelic Overseer, etc)

e: two more days! Get hype! I guess!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wow, this actually looks like Duels might be worth playing again. Is your account platform independent, i.e. could I make an account on the PC client and use that one on my PS4? If I can only play it on the PC, it becomes a lot less appealing and I might just reinstall MTGO

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wow, this actually looks like Duels might be worth playing again. Is your account platform independent, i.e. could I make an account on the PC client and use that one on my PS4? If I can only play it on the PC, it becomes a lot less appealing and I might just reinstall MTGO

Separate collections for every platform, so no

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
is this game out yet

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

THE PENETRATOR posted:

is this game out yet

Supposed to be out today, yeah. Not sure when today, since the game is already "on" Steam and about 50 people who got review keys have been playing it every day for the past couple weeks.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So with this coming out tomorrow, there is only one question I have, is it like DOPW where you have to use a really lovely deck to beat much better decks in order to unlock playable ones? I mean, 2014 starts you off with an high power high casting cost deck and sends you against a quick aggro deck you have zero hope in beating.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

So with this coming out tomorrow, there is only one question I have, is it like DOPW where you have to use a really lovely deck to beat much better decks in order to unlock playable ones? I mean, 2014 starts you off with an high power high casting cost deck and sends you against a quick aggro deck you have zero hope in beating.
from what i've heard that's how the campaign acts with you getting preset decks and opponents getting cards you'll never see elsewhere, etc

Meep
Oct 7, 2000
The campaign is pretty easy, you get gold and some cards, I can't remember for sure but I think you get the cards you play with. Getting gold is pretty easy if you're doing all the quests and winning some games. Farming single player hard ai for 15 gold is more coins/hr then playing ranked for 20 I think, though obviously less fun. In the iOS version joining games fails continuously and you're lucky if it only takes you a minute or 2 to start a game. Also your winrate is way higher vs AI especially if you restart games with bad openings.

Rhym
Jan 2, 2007
Helloes?

twistedmentat posted:

You can make decks however you want from the pool of starter cards and the origins (some cards missing) block and play these in random battles vs AI or other players. As well as in 2HG.

However for the campaign you get a pre-made deck for each of the 5 planeswalkers that evolve as you progress through the 5 battles for each. And also, for completing some of the daily quests for gold you need to make decks via the deck building wizard and win games with that deck.

You'll earn 150g (one boosters worth) from each planeswalker you defeat, as well as 3 bonus boosters from completing the Gideon-campaign. After that you can earn up to 400g from random battles per day. Not including daily/weekly quests or campaign gold. You'll need 72 boosters to unlock all the cards.

Rhym fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 29, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

superstepa posted:

Separate collections for every platform, so no

I guess I should have expected that. Oh well, I guess I'll check it out on PC and if it's any good I will just start over on the PS4.

So I'm probably going to be checking Steam every hour today and preparing to be disappointed by Wizards yet again

Rhym
Jan 2, 2007
Helloes?
So it's not out >_< And they removed the PC button from http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/magic-duels-download

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Rhym posted:

You can make decks however you want from the pool of starter cards and the origins (some cards missing) block and play these in random battles vs AI or other players. As well as in 2HG.

However for the campaign you get a pre-made deck for each of the 5 planeswalkers that evolve as you progress through the 5 battles for each. And also, for completing some of the daily quests for gold you need to make decks via the deck building wizard and win games with that deck.

You'll earn 150g (one boosters worth) from each planeswalker you defeat, as well as 3 bonus boosters from completing the Gideon-campaign. After that you can earn up to 400g from random battles per day. Not including daily/weekly quests or campaign gold. You'll need 72 boosters to unlock all the cards.

It's worth noting that they still haven't sorted out a lot of the issues with quests and stuff on the iOS version. At least for me, it still takes 2-3 days for me to get a daily quest and I have only gotten my first win of the day bonus once and have been playing this since launch (with at least one online win a day).

Be prepared to grind A LOT of duels with really lovely cards unless you get lucky enough to get some good cards and/or synergy from your first few packs.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
To do one of the "archetype" quests you have to use a deck created by the "deck wizard", if you use a deck you made yourself it won't work. The deck creation wizard is bad, makes awful decks, and there is very little leeway to fix them.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Gunjin posted:

To do one of the "archetype" quests you have to use a deck created by the "deck wizard", if you use a deck you made yourself it won't work. The deck creation wizard is bad, makes awful decks, and there is very little leeway to fix them.

Super, super bad. It comes up with a gimmick in the colors you choose (for example Flying creatures, Artifacts, Recursion) and basically just tries to load that up as much as possible without paying attention to actual good cards in that color or building a good mana curve. I just had it build a blue and black deck for me where the cheapest creature was Frost Lynx.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Rhym posted:

So it's not out >_< And they removed the PC button from http://magic.wizards.com/en/content/magic-duels-download

lol

Wizards :allears:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/3f1t8q/isnt_magic_duels_supposed_to_be_released_for_pc/

it's definitely coming!!!!!! some time!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I am so ready to turn some dudes sideways.

What colors y'all gonna use first? I'm thinking G/W aggro until I have enough good blue cards to go U/B or U/R.

e: post your Steam name if you want me to add it to the OP

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
In the meantime, there's a new episode of Spellslingers if people like the show...

Probably going white or blue.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

http://store.steampowered.com/app/323380/

It's out!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

From that page

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

:argh:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wow, a bunch of new posts. It must have dropped, right?

... I hate everyone (Rakdos expresses my hatred right now and will be my starting colors)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

t:mad:t

Not cool dogg.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

precision posted:

I am so ready to turn some dudes sideways.

What colors y'all gonna use first? I'm thinking G/W aggro until I have enough good blue cards to go U/B or U/R.

e: post your Steam name if you want me to add it to the OP

I'm hoping U/W gum the ground, win through air will work in a field full of aggro decks with low card quality. I know nothing about the card pool though.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

precision posted:

t:mad:t

Not cool dogg.

A friend tricked himself looking at new releases and tricked me, so I wanted to pass it along. :)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

And if you want to wear out your f5 key, open this page and get to work

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=#sort_by=Released_DESC&page=1

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I fully expect the game to either come out at 11:59 PM PDT or a last minute announcement that it's being pushed back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like how you can't even see it on steam. Totally coming out today! Honest!!!

Too bad they aren't making an android version. They want this to be popular right?

• Locked thread