Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
The AWB is what happens when people realize that there's a gun problem but politicians can't fix the real gun problem (handguns) so they fix a fake gun problem instead. And now with DC v. Heller that's gone from politically impossible to constitutionally impossible so there's really no point in even bothering with it until the Supreme Court makeup changes, at minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Doccers posted:

It was more politicians realized that Handguns were too common to get the votes for a nation-wide ban, so they decided to start with rarer, scarier-looking guns, to try and ease people into the idea of bans.
.... that's what I meant.

e: Well, except for the "ease them in" part. Maybe I'm just cynical, but given how little the AWB had to do with seriously addressing even the problem that it purported to, I doubt that the politicians that passed it were ever honestly interested in addressing any real issue.

The Oldest Man posted:

It helps that spree killers loving love military-style rifles and get the most national attention even if their comparative body count is a tiny fraction of what handguns account for.
Spree shootings are so atypical that there's really no point in legislating over them ever, but even if you wanted to, I'm pretty sure that most spree shooters used pistols and shotguns. Most of the ones that I can remember just used whatever they could acquire easily, but the ones that actually selected weapons tended to prefer compactness more than anything.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 7, 2015

• Locked thread