Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Phaeoacremonium posted:

Ahhhh that brought back the time I saw one of the kitchen staff slice a neat finger-length slice off the side of her index finger while running a brick of soft Gouda through the slicer.

I honestly don't understand how people get carved up on loving meat slicers. In six years in a delicatessen, between Coles and Woolworths (Australian national supermarket chains), I never once injured myself. I had one coworker nick her thumb when cleaning it. Clearly there's not efficient training or relatively intelligent staff working, lmao.

For my horror story, my housemate and I were working together for a while at Coles and he was cleaning while I was on break, he slipped while cleaning a recently sharpened cheese knife (he got distracted by a customer) and sliced 80% of the way through the tendon on his thumb. Way to ruin my break arsehole! (He's username dernwiththesickness on here lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

McSpergin posted:

I honestly don't understand how people get carved up on loving meat slicers. In six years in a delicatessen, between Coles and Woolworths (Australian national supermarket chains), I never once injured myself. I had one coworker nick her thumb when cleaning it. Clearly there's not efficient training or relatively intelligent staff working, lmao.

For my horror story, my housemate and I were working together for a while at Coles and he was cleaning while I was on break, he slipped while cleaning a recently sharpened cheese knife (he got distracted by a customer) and sliced 80% of the way through the tendon on his thumb. Way to ruin my break arsehole! (He's username dernwiththesickness on here lol)

Tell him to post a picture

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

This was me last week:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

McSpergin posted:

From working in safety I can assure you people will hurt themselves just about everywhere. Good example is some rear end in a top hat trying to clear saw jam ups without turning the drat thing off.

I once was the lowly dairy stock boy at a large grocery store. The meat department closed down for the day when I got on for the evening. One day I go out back and see a trashcan shaped hunk of ice in the middle of the access road. So I go to move it out of the way so trucks don't have to. I get up to it and the thing's covered in wasps. Then I notice a spine or two embedded in the ice. Yeah someone froze scrap from cutting meat into a giant hunk and tossed it out back instead of the trash. I went and told my supervisor and he just handed me a can of wasp spray and ordered me to get it into the trash bin. Never got stung though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
To continue the injury-chat:

In addition to the little gross-monster I worked with, I also worked with possibly the dumbest cook I've ever seen. Highlights include:

1) Trying to demonstrate how safe a cut-glove is by gripping a chef's knife in his gloved hand and slicing through it. ER trip, lots of stitches, and a workman's comp claim.

2) Tried to do that stupid "cinnamon challenge" that was sort of popular a number of years ago. Like so many others, he failed miserably and even sucked in some cinnamon into his lungs. No ER trip, but did get sent home.

3) Like most restaurants, we had a giant kettle of simmering water used to warm up a lot of things that come in vacuum sealed bags, like soups, mashed potatoes (it was a chain restaurant, and most chains use pre-made mashed potatoes.) etc... He was dared to "bop" for a bag of soup as one would an apple...it was mostly floating, so he thought it was perfectly safe because it's not like he had to dunk his head into boiling water...just bend down right next to it and get a face-full of steam.

4) Got (what we assume were) heart palpitations from drinking a Monster energy drink about 1/3 of the way down, filling it back up with 4-5 "5 Hour Energy" drinks, and then chugging it.

5) Burned the tip of his nose because he was dared to eat a steak tip straight off the flat-top grill.

Next post I'll go into details of the identity-stealing, veteran-impersonating, pedophile, con-artist dishwasher.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

DrBouvenstein posted:

Next post I'll go into details of the identity-stealing, veteran-impersonating, pedophile, con-artist dishwasher.

I thought you were a server?

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I thought you were a server?

Hence the identity stealing...

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
A friend of mine is a chef. He was transporting a pot of bubbling stock from the stove to a prep station and slipped a little.

Here's the result:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Crow Jane posted:

A friend of mine is a chef. He was transporting a pot of bubbling stock from the stove to a prep station and slipped a little.

Here's the result:

Could have been a million times worse:

:nms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llQL9RM_KOo :nms:

(For those wondering, yes, it's that God-awful Canadian workplace safety ad.)

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Lotsa nice bubbles up in here.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

cash crab posted:

Lotsa nice bubbles up in here.

This forum has been a lot more fun since Don Ho joined.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm so morbid. What happens if you pop those bubbles? I just feel like if you got something like those, you should pop them, drain them and bandaid it up.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ineffiable posted:

I'm so morbid. What happens if you pop those bubbles?

the stock markets collapse and the world economy has difficulty readjusting to the status quo

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Ineffiable posted:

I'm so morbid. What happens if you pop those bubbles? I just feel like if you got something like those, you should pop them, drain them and bandaid it up.

It's gross. Don't do it. It gets hot and wet but you get this weird feeling like it's not happening to you at the same time. Let your body figure it out on its own. don'T POP THEM

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Blisters are your body's built-in band-aid system. Leave 'em be.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Blisters are your body's built-in band-aid system. Leave 'em be.

No! Pop them! It's fun!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Tiberius Thyben posted:

No! Pop them! It's fun!

Galsia
Oct 20, 2005

cash crab posted:

I feel that by going through the trouble of rubbing a greasy burger on your own anus in order to exact some kind of revenge on someone, you have actually owned yourself more than them.

I can't say that I ever did it myself as I worked on the cash registers not in the kitchen. I'm always nice to restaurant staff now though.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Not food industry but a few years ago I stumbled over my ex's tiny stupid dog while moving a pot of almost-boiling syrup for lemon drops off the stove. Took basically the entire contents of the pot all over my left hand/fingers.

Those blisters are no joke.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

I had nightmares about this commercial. :ohdear:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

McSpergin posted:

I worked in a supermarket deli for a few months, until I sliced the tip of my thumb off on a meat slicer. It happened because the slicers we had wouldn't slice thicker than about a half an inch, an old woman wanted me to cut corned beef in inch-thick slices for her, and my manager took the safety guard off and ordered me to cut it by hand to the size the lady wanted.

So I ended up taking the tip of my thumb off - I remember it was still stuck on my hand, like how sliced meat will adhere to another slice, until I stuck my hand under the sink and watched the tip come off and disappear down the drain - and while I was waiting for the store manager to give me permission to leave the store and go to the ER, that deli manager packaged up the corned beef and gave it to the customer. I'm 100% sure it had my blood on it when he gave it to her, even.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

InediblePenguin posted:

an old woman wanted me to cut corned beef in inch-thick slices for her, and my manager took the safety guard off and ordered me to cut it by hand to the size the lady wanted.

Wouldn't a knife be a more reasonable choice for inch thick slices rather than eyeballing it on a rotating blade?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

jabby posted:

Wouldn't a knife be a more reasonable choice for inch thick slices rather than eyeballing it on a rotating blade?

That would take way longer and not be perfect so of course you had to use the slicer.

DreamtShadow
Aug 21, 2010

When I was working in a grocery store and our managers would ask us to do unsafe things like that we would just say no its not safe and hide behind our union. That not an option?

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

DreamtShadow posted:

When I was working in a grocery store and our managers would ask us to do unsafe things like that we would just say no its not safe and hide behind our union. That not an option?

Unions? Hahahahaha

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

DrBouvenstein posted:

The birth of a Super Villain.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

DreamtShadow posted:

There are basically no service industry unions in America.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Kroger's unionized, but I wasn't working at a Kroger, there was no union, and I was a teenager :shrug:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

So here's a fun story about Bob.

Bob started working as a dishwasher a couple years after I started. Like most people who are only ever hired to be a dishwasher, he was a little weird. It started off with just some small stuff, like telling too many conflicting stories about his past (he was in the army, then the navy, he lived in Sweden for a decade and got an engineering degree there, no, wait, it was Norway.) Then he would just start making creepy comments about people and yelling more than is normal for a dishwasher (which should say something.) He would also always bring an EMT bag to worked stuffed with a tons of first aid supplies, like he was expecting the restaurant to burn down or something. I saw him use it exactly once, when a prep cook sliced her finger open. So was it a good thing he had all those bandages and whatnot? No, because all the bandages were from the restaurant's first aid kit...all he did was use his stethoscope on her for some reason.

He said he was from N. Carolina, and moved up here because he prefers colder weather (from spending time in Sweden, you see.) He lived in an old run-down RV parked in a friend's yard.. He'd always try to get people to come hang out there, saying it's a lot of fun because it's just some field in the middle of nowhere, and we can get drunk and shoot some guns.

A few years after he was hired, Bob never came in for his shift one day. Phone calls went unanswered. The next day, two FBI agents come to the restaurant to question everyone about Bob...not his real name, by the way.

Seems Ol' Bob (Real name David) was a convicted sex offender from Washington (multiple counts of sexual acts with minors, including an ex-GFs kids,) who stole the identity of the real Bob by breaking into his car and stealing some military documents.

[url="https://"http://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/a-convicted-sex-offender-made-a-new-life-in-vermont-with-a-soldiers-stolen-id/Content?oid=2244185"]Here's a newspaper article on the thing. [/url]

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

1stGear posted:

There are basically no service industry unions in America.

Don't you still have laws about unsafe work environments? Up here in canada you have to refuse working in an unsafe work environment unless you want OHS to come down on your head.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

berenzen posted:

Don't you still have laws about unsafe work environments? Up here in canada you have to refuse working in an unsafe work environment unless you want OHS to come down on your head.

I've never personally known a person who actually got in trouble with OSHA for following their manager's orders in a retail environment, but I have heard of/known/witnessed plenty of people getting fired for refusing to follow their manager's orders in a retail environment, and most people who are low enough on the socioeconomic scale to be working in a retail environment in the first place are highly unlikely to have the time, money, energy, and education required to get the government to do anything about it on their behalf

e: idk if food service is "retail" per se but it still applies

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Jul 16, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

berenzen posted:

You say that like those laws are ever enforced. Restaurants get inspected like once a year and they know ahead of time so the rest of the year the places are filthy and unsafe. Plus if the place gets shut down you're out of a job so reporting anything is to risky. There are also anti-retaliation laws but good luck actually getting them enforced. That stuff can lead to legal battles and Dishguy #37 who works for minimum wage can't afford a lawyer and probably doesn't know his rights.

This is America, drat it. We value freedom here more than human lives.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I once had a dishpig named Horton. Horton had worked with me in a few places, by weird luck-of-the draw. I'd never recommend him anywhere, because whilst he was good at his job, and very thorough (he had crazy OCD which works out well when you're doing that job), he was also a bit mental.

More than a bit, really. The way we all figured it was that he was probably 1% on some doctor's test away from being able to claim benefits for being subnormal, but he'd just scraped through, so he was hosed. Had to work, didn't really have the capacity to deal with work. Horton had teeth that were fairly green, gums that bled, and a voice a little bit like Goofy. For some reason, Horton also really liked tattoos, and had somehow found a tattooist with enough of a lack of morals to tattoo a borderline retard everywhere, and for very little money. So Horton, who was an absolute pussy, had almost his entire body covered in tattoos that looked like they'd been done in a russian prison. And we're talking spiderwebs, letters on his knuckles, 187 on his loving hand (we're english, it doesn't even make sense), tattoos on his neck, the works. The only place this guy was ever getting a job was back of house.

First place I worked with him was a busy seaside pub kitchen, run by a lesbian couple. poo poo food, but lots of it, all season long. Horton got a disciplinary for asking a seventeen year old waitress "how do you shave your pussy hair", during service. I suspect he genuinely didn't realise that might be a mistake. He later got fired for calling the boss "a loving dyke" to her face because she cut his hours a little.

Didn't see him for a year after this, during which time, presumably, he stewed on his own in his tiny flat, which, I later found out, stank of bleach (everything must be hyper clean), and had no bed but three full size fridge-freezers, with no food in.

He then got a job in the next place I went to, again, a busy seasonal place. He'd gotten a bit crazier, and used to pull the weirdest poo poo. He'd try to slink into the kitchen an hour before his shift was rota'd on, to bump his hours up. We didn't have a clocking in system, so obviously he just didn't get paid for this, which took him a few months to notice. He confessed to us at this point that he was eating chocolate bars and energy drinks for breakfast, because he liked sweet things. I asked him to clean the ceiling on my break one day, and came back to him mopping the ceiling.

After about a year, we got short-staffed, so, because he'd been there for a while, and kinda knew how we worked, we tried to help him out by giving him the pizza station on the odd shift. This was a loving disaster of epic proportions. We had to call the pepperoni "round meat", the ham "square meat", and the Bolognese "wet meat" in order for him to understand what went where. We used to roll the dough out to order, had a nice pizza oven, things would cook quickly. Horton liked to make the pizzas, and put them direct onto the stone, instead of in the metal pan, so that the bottom would cook, the top would look done, but the middle would be absolutely raw. A couple of these managed to get out of the kitchen before we noticed what he was doing, then he was bumped back down to dishpig again, which he took massive offence at.

We were out in the pub one night after service, and he confessed to us that had a list of people he was upset at, for various made up reasons ("he keeps staring at me when I walk round town", "he never says hello any more", etc), and he was going to kill them with a hammer. He hasn't, as of yet. At one point, he shoved a waitress up against the wall for some perceived slight (this was quite sternly dealt with), and stopped talking to the head waitress entirely, telling her loudly, in front of a whole restaurant full of people "you're not my loving friend". He eventually got let go from the restaurant because he decided to not turn up for a shift during the summer, but he'd come round every now and then begging for his job back. Basically, by this point, he'd done pretty much the same thing in every place in a small town, and this, coupled with his odd tattoos and mental issues, had meant that he'd never get a job.

I still kept in touch with him for a bit, he got really mad at his neighbour once, because he tried to smash a seagull to death outside of his house with a broom (!). He was livid that the neighbour dare intervene. I tried explaining to him that that poo poo's not normal, but he couldn't get his head round it. Last I knew, he had a job on a building site, where a friend of mine told me Horton would get a broom first thing in the morning, then go find an empty building and literally hide in there all day, staring at nothing, for eight hours a day, rather than work.

I don't really see him much any more. I should add that through loads of this period of time, I tried to help him, but he just wasn't capable of taking any advice to make his life better, and after a period of years I just got bored of giving advice that wasn't taken, so I stopped. He's just way too much of a liability. Kitchens! Good for crazy people!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

^^^ Holy poo poo

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I've barely worked in food. A month at mcdonald's as my first job, and a week at the dining area at uni. What really did it for me at McD's was the small injury I got. They use a "clamshell grill" for the patties, meaning a big hot press that cooks both sides simultaneously. You have to regularly clean it because all sorts of meat leavenings get stuck on it. And you have to clean it FAST because of high traffic. So I was scraping off the grill, when a red hot rind of a burger clinging to the top fell down right on my hand. cue me screaming and struggling for a full minute to get it off me, resulting in at least second degree burns. I still today over 15 years later have an inch-long, fingernail thin scar on my thumb.

Also, I've heard lots of terrible stories as my dad spent over 30 years in the county health department, spending most of that time as the head. I wish I could remember anything more complex than just the usual "dirty" place stories.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Dude I was working with the other day mentioned that a guy at his last work got his arm stuck in a Hobart mixer. I don't know how, since those things are generally pretty idiot proof.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

I work part time as a shipper receiver for Coca-Cola. All I really do is throw cases, so the worst I see are pallets of product that are covered in mold after a case bursts in top (which we usually send out anyway, incidentally.) The energy drinks are the worst for that, since the cans just don't seem to be strong enough, and the combination of the scent of the energy drink, and the smell of rot is pretty impressively bad. There's also the concentrate room, which has a drainage grate in the middle which everything flows into, and is covered in mold and poo poo, which fills the whole room with a humid, horrifying miasma. However, the interesting stories come from the merchandisers, who actually go into the stores and backs of restaurants. One of them told a horror story about a Chinese place where the chicken was just left to thaw in a bucket of water in the middle of the floor, with flies buzzing around it. Also a few stories about places that hadn't had someone in to clean their fountain drink dispensers for years, and which blew out chunks of mold when they finally did.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
One that happened relatively recently near me was at a bakery.

The baker was teaching the apprentice how not to clean the moulder, and apparently decided to go above and beyond the call of duty by not only telling him not to touch the moulding rollers, but jamming her hand between the rollers herself.

The friction of the rollers ground the skin off, down to the bone.

It was a larger version of this machine:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Sic Semper Goon posted:

One that happened relatively recently near me was at a bakery.

The baker was teaching the apprentice how not to clean the moulder, and apparently decided to go above and beyond the call of duty by not only telling him not to touch the moulding rollers, but jamming her hand between the rollers herself.

The friction of the rollers ground the skin off, down to the bone.

It was a larger version of this machine:

I wish I had never read this

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I work part time as a shipper receiver for Coca-Cola. All I really do is throw cases, so the worst I see are pallets of product that are covered in mold after a case bursts in top (which we usually send out anyway, incidentally.) The energy drinks are the worst for that, since the cans just don't seem to be strong enough, and the combination of the scent of the energy drink, and the smell of rot is pretty impressively bad. There's also the concentrate room, which has a drainage grate in the middle which everything flows into, and is covered in mold and poo poo, which fills the whole room with a humid, horrifying miasma. However, the interesting stories come from the merchandisers, who actually go into the stores and backs of restaurants. One of them told a horror story about a Chinese place where the chicken was just left to thaw in a bucket of water in the middle of the floor, with flies buzzing around it. Also a few stories about places that hadn't had someone in to clean their fountain drink dispensers for years, and which blew out chunks of mold when they finally did.

In grocery stores, people like to hide meat in novel places to get revenge on employees (yes, really). One time, someone threw a deli chicken on top of the ice cream freezers and we didn't find it for a month. This does not compare to the smell left over by one of the produce employees opening one of the vents in the office and shoving a bag of shrimp in there. :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i still use shrimp as a verb when people i know are slighted by people they know and i offer advice for revenge

ex: shrimp his desk

• Locked thread