Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008
I've been serving for almost a year now. Our kitchen doesn't really allow unsanitary bullshit to happen because our two kitchen managers are thorough in training and oversight, but good god our store has a drug problem. I haven't met a person there who doesn't smoke weed, which I don't mind at all, but there are a few that take it to the "next level" and it interferes with their work.

A server I'll call Meg is known for her heroin addiction. She will show up back on the schedule every 4 weeks or so, work a full shift, then get sent home during her second or third shift for nodding off while taking orders, while waiting for food, while bussing tables, etc. Yet Meg ends up back on the schedule every month or so.... somehow.

We had ticket times approaching an hour a couple weeks ago, so when I went back to see what was going on I noticed the kitchen was three guys short, and even with a manager back there on the line our service was at a crawl. It's like 7pm so I ask why they are short; one of the kitchen boys sold crack to another behind the store, but it didn't "weigh" so he chokeslammed him into the dumpster. So the two crackheads and one witness were pulled from the line to help police determine a) who assaulted who and b) where all of this crack in the alley came from.

A guy I'll call Dave had the sole job of running food from the kitchen window to the server, or straight to the table if the server was busy. He was super proud of his John Stamos Full House Era hairstyle, and would run his hands through his greasy rear end hair all day. He was also a speed junkie, so he was constantly sweating like he was running a marathon, meaning no matter how sanitary that food came out of the kitchen it's all being handled with the greasiest hands I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. Getting Dave to wash his hands wasn't an issue, but literally seconds after he finished he would run his hands through his hair and leave greasy handprints everywhere. One day he went on a smoke break and didn't come back. Nobody was sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Dumb poo poo I did at burger king when I was 17. Nothing was cleaned properly. It was a good day if we broke everything down and drenched it in bleach. The fryers got an oil change maybe twice as often as they should have. The burger broiler never got cleaned. Closest it ever came was when we would feed meat into it so much that it would flare up and just burn all the meat dribblings into a hard charcoaly mess and push it down the grease hole. The bun steamers were filled with what was pretty much hot pond water.

As far as deliberately messing with the food, that happened. A lot. Not so much to the people that ordered in the dining room because they could see you making their food. People that were dicks to the girls at the drive-thru window would get the oldest food we had under the heat lights at best. If they were really nasty they'd get "special" stuff that we'd kick around on the floor or just plain spit on. We had really horrible cops in our town that hassled the kids that worked there often. They would get spit tainted coffee and soda every time. Oops, officer friendly got a BK broiler that fell in the mop bucket.

I don't feel particularly good about that stuff and I certainly wouldn't do those things now. At the time I was a dumb , frustrated teenager making $4.15 an hour. That was minimum wage at the time. Its more now but I really think we need to pay our food service workers better so they don't feel the need to do those things.

See I had almost convinced myself mentally that "nah, people don't really do that. The fear of consequence or just moral guilt would be enough to prevent that," but then you have to go and reveal that people really are pieces of poo poo sometimes.

• Locked thread