Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

JoltSpree posted:

It's appreciated for people who are allergic to the stuff. If I eat anything with MSG I get massive headaches and nausea for the rest of the day.

So, I guess you never, ever eat fast food because almost all of them use MSG in the recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RazorDX posted:

See I had almost convinced myself mentally that "nah, people don't really do that. The fear of consequence or just moral guilt would be enough to prevent that," but then you have to go and reveal that people really are pieces of poo poo sometimes.

It really depends on the place. High volume super busy places like those near college campus and major commercial centers probably won't bother with any of that stuff, because their biggest concern is getting people in and out as fast as possible. It's also probably down to the workforce. A bunch of teenagers working for minimum wage and treated like poo poo just don't give a gently caress, and who can blame them.

Being a huge dick to employees when the place is not busy at all is a pretty surefire way to get your food hosed with. No one will mess with a picky customer who wants it a specific way but if they start to hurl abuse at the staff then gently caress them, they're scum. There's nothing like watching a middle aged man in business casual with a bluetooth earpiece borderline screaming at Subway employees because they can't read his mind and figure out exactly what he wants from his vague instructions. Granted in that situation they can't really gently caress with his food very much, but they'll definitely make sure to figure out a way when he comes back.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

de la peche posted:

Totally this. I've worked in places where if you tampered with the food, you'd be fired on the spot, no questions asked, but then on the other hand, I've worked in places where monitoring of staff isn't so high, and inch by inch standards slip until you don't know how you've got here, but you're wiping your penis on a steak.

The issue is low pay, high hours. People get stressed and stupid, and it doesn't take much for a really bad culture to take over a kitchen. Add to that, someone treating you like you're less than them, and people will get creative. I've met very few chefs that I'd call 'well-adjusted', the industry tends to attract oddballs, which, again, doesn't bode well. It really does pay to be super polite, because you never know what the situation is in the place you're eating. It shouldn't happen, but it does. For the record, I can't remember ever having hosed with a customer's dinner in such horrible ways; I only ever hosed with staff members who were hassling me. I never gave a gently caress what the customer wanted, even if it was needlessly fussy, they're paying their money, they can have what they like.

I have seen other chefs get frustrated when customers (often repeat customers, weirdly) are consistently dicks (rude, abusive, 'allergic' to things that are impossible), and so will get messed with. Why would you be rude to people all the time and then come back over and over? Must like the taste of Winner's Sauce I suppose...

Even the saltiest cooks don't care that much unless it becomes blatantly obvious that a customer is trying to scam a free meal. Example: Ordering a steak one way, eating 1/3 of it then sending it back for not being cooked properly, doing it again, and then saying you refuse to pay because the steaks weren't cooked right. All that does is waste everyone's time. The allergy thing is annoying, especially for gluten free nuts, but most of the time they just tell the customer "we can't prepare this to your specifications" if its something insane like asking for no salt in their soup.

99.9% of the time its easier to placate the customer with a token gesture because they respond really well to preferential treatment. The other 0.1% just loving hate everything in the world and want to throw their weight around by screaming at service workers and treating them like scum. The reason they keep coming back to the same place is they enjoy the feeling of authority they get from berating staff and don't fear/expect reprisals.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

om nom nom posted:

I don't tend to gently caress with guests, but I have torched sugar on 1000 island dressing in a nice ramekin and tempura battered and fried balls of wasabi paste for servers who won't stop loving eating my food

Also I was opposite of that 3 strikes thing posted earlier when working meat, 2nd send back for under cooked was 15 minutes per side or 10 in the fryer

The undercooked meat thing is usually people ordering "medium rare" because its the cool thing to say but not realizing what it actually is and they want mid-well in reality.

• Locked thread