Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I have seen a small town cafe cook wipe his heavily snotty nose with the palm-side of his hand and then flip a burger with that same bare hand on a flat top greasy spoon griddle.

Don't eat at small town "cafe" places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I can't believe I didn't post my hosed up story yet.

When I worked at a bakery in 2012, one of our merchandise packagers had a heart attack while on the job. She was 80something and had known heart problems, so it was sad but not entirely unexpected.

The unexpected part was when my manager instructed myself and the rest of the bakers to let 911 handle things and just keep baking. One of the clerks started performing CPR, the paramedics showed up and continued to do so despite her being stone cold dead. It took a while for someone who could legally pronounce her dead to show up. I fried doughnuts roughly ten feet from a fresh corpse until police officers showed up and said "yo everyone, what the gently caress, stop baking, shut this all down you are done for today"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I started a fire once.

So, same bakery as the bakery corpse. We're cleaning the fryer out one day, and it's my first time actually doing it. The other fryer is helping me get everything drained out using the pump-and-dump special to get all the fryer grease into one of the rolling industrial-sized mixing bowls. We empty it out entirely (probably around 350 degrees because we did it at the end of the shift instead of letting it cool and starting the shift by dumping grease) and roll it out back to the grease dumpster, which is roughly a five minute walk each way, there and back because of how potentially dangerous the grease is and how long it takes to lift the bowl up and dump the grease. This being my first time, I cleaned the forearm-sized metal bars fairly well, but there's just a bunch of stuff stuck to it that we could not possibly hope to clean off ourselves. It doesn't affect hygiene or taste any, but there's one important aspect of "stuff left on heating elements" that matters when you realize how, exactly, I hosed up on my first day cleaning fryer:

I didn't turn it off.

So we're out back, dumping the grease into the grease dumpster. Inside, the caked-on remains of grease and whatever else have been heated up, with only air surrounding it, for about 7 minutes now. As the rest of the bakery is attempting to finish their various bread and roll orders for the day, the fryer makes a nice "FWOOMP" noise and starts a visible fire. It was, according to one of the bakers, "like somebody turned on an electric fireplace at a lovely hotel". He was the same person who noticed the fire, rushed over, slammed closed the hinged fryer lid, turned off the heating elements, and watched it to make sure that the fryer fire was sufficiently suffocated.

After the 10-minute trip of dumping grease, the manager stopped me on the way in.

"Did you clean the fryer today?"
"Yeah, my first time."
"What did you forget?"
"Uh... I dumped all the oil, got everything rolled back... what did I forget?"

The baker who stopped the fire: "TO TURN THE MOTHERFUCKER OFF"

They then informed me that I had started the fire. Which, apparently, was tall enough to get halfway up toward the emergency spouts for the Fire Suppression System. That nobody used, instead just slamming the lid shut.

I was not fired, nor was I reprimanded. I was basically just told "better luck next time, kiddo" and sent on my merry way.

The next time I cleaned the fryer, I stayed for an extra hour and a half with all the cleaning tools we had available. Every previously-blackened heating rod was sparkling silver by the time I was finished.

And I never started another fire again.

• Locked thread