Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Phaeoacremonium posted:

Ahhhh that brought back the time I saw one of the kitchen staff slice a neat finger-length slice off the side of her index finger while running a brick of soft Gouda through the slicer.

I honestly don't understand how people get carved up on loving meat slicers. In six years in a delicatessen, between Coles and Woolworths (Australian national supermarket chains), I never once injured myself. I had one coworker nick her thumb when cleaning it. Clearly there's not efficient training or relatively intelligent staff working, lmao.

For my horror story, my housemate and I were working together for a while at Coles and he was cleaning while I was on break, he slipped while cleaning a recently sharpened cheese knife (he got distracted by a customer) and sliced 80% of the way through the tendon on his thumb. Way to ruin my break arsehole! (He's username dernwiththesickness on here lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Radio Help posted:

"The easiest way to clean off the blade on this slicer is to take all the blade covers off, turn it on, and rub it down with a green scrubby pad as it's spinning." Ok, honestly I have done this more times than I can count. In my defense, I have my own Kevlar glove and I was also completely aware of how insanely stupid I was being by doing it that way. Don't ever do this unless you're willing to cut off your finger off so you can go home 10 minutes sooner.

Lol I did this for 3 years at a supermarket without gloves. There's careful and there's stupid

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

DemeaninDemon posted:

You're a lucky idiot then!

Well not really, half the staff did it as well. The slicers we used had a safeguard where you can't open the blade for slicing if the carriage is pulled back for cleaning so most of us would leave the carriage open to stop it opening, we would clean the whole thing down top to bottom then spray the blade with sanitiser and run it with a fresh cloth to make sure it covered all surfaces. The only time people cut themselves is if they left the blade open to clean and they rarely lasted long, we had more injuries with the cheese knives than the slicer lol

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Outrail posted:

What series of events creates someone like that?

Maybe getting repeatedly molested by their step father. Or at least that's what I would say about people who were assholes to my subs when I worked in retail. To which my subs would usually reply "I fuckin hope so"

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

It's called being lazy. My girlfriend's family is lazy to the point where the tiny trash can in the kitchen is often stuffed to the brim, dishes are stacked way the hell up and fruit peels are all over the place because it's easier to leave them on a table or a windowsill than to throw them into the garbage. They just tell themselves that it's alright because the flies are a sign of freshness or something even though it's gross as poo poo. My girlfriend and I at least make vinegar traps in the summers, that helps things a little.

cut ties, it doesn't get any better without serious disciplining or training.

• Locked thread