Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Dumb poo poo I did at burger king when I was 17. Nothing was cleaned properly. It was a good day if we broke everything down and drenched it in bleach. The fryers got an oil change maybe twice as often as they should have. The burger broiler never got cleaned. Closest it ever came was when we would feed meat into it so much that it would flare up and just burn all the meat dribblings into a hard charcoaly mess and push it down the grease hole. The bun steamers were filled with what was pretty much hot pond water.

As far as deliberately messing with the food, that happened. A lot. Not so much to the people that ordered in the dining room because they could see you making their food. People that were dicks to the girls at the drive-thru window would get the oldest food we had under the heat lights at best. If they were really nasty they'd get "special" stuff that we'd kick around on the floor or just plain spit on. We had really horrible cops in our town that hassled the kids that worked there often. They would get spit tainted coffee and soda every time. Oops, officer friendly got a BK broiler that fell in the mop bucket.

I don't feel particularly good about that stuff and I certainly wouldn't do those things now. At the time I was a dumb , frustrated teenager making $4.15 an hour. That was minimum wage at the time. Its more now but I really think we need to pay our food service workers better so they don't feel the need to do those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
Remembered one from my burger king days. There was a horrible stink coming from the soda machine. Customers were complaining that the soda tasted kinda skanky too. I was told to clean the soda fountains for the dining room and the drive thru.

This was the old kind of machine. There were black plastic covers over the nozzles where the soda came out. I had never been asked to clean them and neither had anyone else apparently because when I pulled off the first cover I was greeted by a solid cake of coke syrup teeming with maggots. They were falling out of the plastic around the nozzle.

Every single nozzle was the same and god knows how long they were like that. I was dry heaving the whole time I was scraping caked on soda syrup and maggots off of that soda machine. And that isn't even the worst horror I saw at that burger king.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
They weren't buying new anything at that particular burger king. We were using a drive thru intercom that was most certainly the one that was installed when the place was built in the 70's. Tin cans and string would probably have been better than that poo poo. most of the equipment in the kitchen was from the same era.

Another nugget of joy I encountered there was the day I was asked to clean the mop closet. I'm guessing years had gone by since the last thorough cleaning. The corners of the floor weren't so much corners as they were rounded off packed in wedges of ancient grease and filth. I took a putty knife and started to scrape away and unlocked a pocket of liquid putrescence so unbelievably horrible that I cannot summon the words to describe it. I've smelled animal corpses that may as well have been daffodils compared to the smell of that poo poo. I did my duty and cleaned it up but there was much dry heaving involed.

That place was my first job as a teenager, almost 20 years ago. I'm sure most fast food joints are held to a higher standard these days.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
The uniform situation at the burger King I worked at sucked too. They issued one uniform. A pair of dark blue pants and a purple shirt. At the time I was living in a cheap rear end efficiency apartment and could only do laundry about once a week. By the end of the week that poo poo was so caked in grease that water would just bead up and run off of it like a raincoat. Everybody that worked there was pretty much in the same situation. We all looked like poo poo.

• Locked thread