Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrGunner
Apr 9, 2004

dream the dream of your attrition
Thanks for posting about this show. I had downloaded the first episode on a whim a few weeks ago after I saw the thread and I finally got around to watching it today. Then I binged every other episode and wow this was a really good show.

There's not really any good or bad people on the show really and I don't really see Rachel as being some kind of anti-hero. It's just a bunch of people doing whatever they have to to achieve their self centered desires. It really makes the show quite interesting as it portrays every character as having reasons for wanting what they do in order to offset the terrible things they do to get what they want.

MrGunner fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Great finale. My DVR stopped recording when Jeremy was at the door. What happened at the end?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Tupping Liberty posted:

Great finale. My DVR stopped recording when Jeremy was at the door. What happened at the end?

He went to see Rachel's mother, and they implied that next season they'll be planning some kind of intervention. Given that Rachel's mother seems to be even crazier than anyone else on this show, that's something I'm honestly incredibly excited to see. Hell, she might be able to give Quinn a run for her money in some respects.

Portax
May 27, 2002

Just marathoned this show. It is really good and I can't wait for next season now.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

That's like saying, "You mean this show dares to claim that politicians are sociopathic bullshit artists? I'm SHOCKEDD, I tell you, shocked!" in reaction to the plot of House of Cards.

What I'm saying is these folks need to look past the surface and give the show a chance before brushing it off, but I know I don't have to tell you that. Just spinning my wheels.

Why? I know I for one am completely sick of the reality TV bullshit and I want it to go away. I don't want to watch a fictional show about it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Even if one of the things the show does effectively is tear it apart? It feels like the kind of show that's made by and for people that hate the genre.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha yeah honestly, the shows take on reality television couldn't be more jaded with the entire concept.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yea I just watched all of this over the weekend and it was really good, I really hope that somehow they work a reference to The Soup into season 2

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It was fun but I have no idea where they can go from there. It looked more like a series finale than a season one, with possibly the most underwhelming cliffhanger ever.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Open Source Idiom posted:

Hell, she might be able to give Quinn a run for her money in some respects.

Fake Mom Quinn vs. Real Mom would be a fun scene

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I've enjoyed this show a LOT but felt it really ran out of steam in it's last three episodes. It's probably really hard to bounce back from a murder cover-up in that setting
but still, the show felt different--like, maybe they were renewed and suddenly they had to change some stuff? In any case, a very good show, Constance Zimmer and Shiri
Appleby are amazing.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I was rooting for the Adam/Rachel pairing, despite (and maybe because of) the many ways it wouldn't work. There are very few characters who weren't sympathetic; Chet had been rewarded for decades by getting what he wanted, and so he took and took and took; his moments of grace (building houses, paying $50 million) were to move into stasis.

Shia was clearly a version of Rachel, with the difference that Shia wasn't Good At It. She couldn't get into contestants minds so she took shortcuts. I'd put her as Most culpable for the murder, with Rachel, Quinn and the Ex all floating in the miasma of blame. Rachel and Quinn would've pushed her really, really far, but she would've lived.

Boyfriend Jeremy is the least sympathetic, honestly, because he led Rachel on. He was in the right until the barn incident, where he started kissing her and then stopped short of the goal line to call her a slut, and kept his girlfriend in the dark until she got a confession from him.

He and Rachel were as co-dependent as Quinn and Rachel, but it's harder to blame Quinn, because:
A) She's great at her job (and we see that more than Jeremy being good at his job)
B) She's constantly manipulated by Chet.

As someone who worked low-level reality, my characters were Madison (completely out of her league) and the AD whose only lines were "Rolling", "Cut", and "Back to One".

I'm surprised there was a darker look at showbiz than Bojack, where at least Todd and Mr. Peanutbutter get to be happy.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Can't believe this show isn't getting more recognition, even in the forums. If this were a Netflix original, you bet your rear end everyone would have heard about it.

The actress playing Rachel killed it.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

Can't believe this show isn't getting more recognition, even in the forums. If this were a Netflix original, you bet your rear end everyone would have heard about it.

The actress playing Rachel killed it.

I couldn't even get most of my friends to watch it because as soon as they heard it was about "reality tv" they refused to watch.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Season Two promo just released, if anyone is still even subscribed to this thread!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKjUyTTD4X8

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Well, definitely no one reads this thread anymore, but here's more info about the upcoming season:

http://www.vulture.com/2016/05/vulture-festival-season-two-unreal.html

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Real Reality TV is doing its part in promoting the show: http://www.avclub.com/article/read-being-biggest-loser-was-hell-earth-237204

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I've still got this thread bookmarked from last year. Great show, glad it's finally returning.

What depths will we see them sink to this year? It'll be hard to top literally killing a contestant for ratings though, maybe they shouldn't have blown that particular load so early.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
The first season of this show made me feel filthy for watching it.

But I couldn't stop. :magical:

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.
I read this thread! I cannot wait for season 2!

April
Jul 3, 2006

appleskates posted:

I read this thread! I cannot wait for season 2!

Same here! I love this show, and read this thread every time new posts pop up.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I liked season one but it reallu felt like a one-season show. Skeptical that thry could something else than more of the same. And the mom-cameraman cliffhanger was stupid.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

PSA: The new season starts tonight, so get your poo poo together.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

What I love is how brutal the show is. The moments of people NOT being racist, sexist, or exploitative are so rare that they serve as comedy. (The control room sequence is "fun", but they're still brutally teasing Madison.)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Oh great! Chad is into :biotruths: now.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

That "Rachel feeding lines to Madison" scene was fantastic and intense. Great premiere.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
I'm really not sure what's going on with Chet and the network trying to run an alternate version of the show behind their back. And there's no reason on earth for Quinn to not tell Rachel that Chet was back sniffing around/messing with the show. But it still is great and the rest of the season should be great.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
You'd think the Patagonian paleo-cult would have taught Chet to recognize the apex predator and leave them alone. Quinn is going to annihilate him.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Quinn didn't tell Rach because destroying Chet has ALWAYS come first. Money, dick, power. Friendship aint on there.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Well I provisionnally take back what I said: they still have new things to do and camera boy is a credible antagonist.

April
Jul 3, 2006

This show is batshit insane and I can't get enough of it.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Holy poo poo, what a premiere.

There were so many incredible moments, but my favorite was Madison reveling in her newfound awfulness and seeing Jeremy's dumb loving face as he realized his stupid plan failed

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Cactus posted:

Even if one of the things the show does effectively is tear it apart? It feels like the kind of show that's made by and for people that hate the genre.

Unreal changed the way I watch shows like the Bachelorette and how the producers manipulate people and situations..

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just finished episode 8 of season 1. Chet is the biggest piece of poo poo on the planet and you somehow he's also my hero.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
I really really wanted to hate this show, but I say to anyone thats on the fence, watch the first episode.
It's good poo poo.

edit: it's roughly the Mad Men of reality TV, but that's not at all the best way to put it. Watch the first episode.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Just bingewatched this poo poo out of this and caught up with s02.

That opener, especially Rachel feeding lines scene was just extraordinary. Crazy eyes thin Chet is my man.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
The best scene by far was Madison throwing up and loving it.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Billmac posted:

I really really wanted to hate this show, but I say to anyone thats on the fence, watch the first episode.
It's good poo poo.

edit: it's roughly the Mad Men of reality TV, but that's not at all the best way to put it. Watch the first episode.

Marti Noxon worked on Mad Men, so this tracks

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This show is very good, but calling it the Mad Men of Reality TV is an insult to Mad Men. Just because a show is about a workplace doesn't make it Mad Men. And this show jumped the shark a bit in episode 6, though it managed to mostly recover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Binged this show during a slow workday on Tuesday, really good poo poo.

I agree that Episode 6 was a bit much but I think it bounced back well and the Season 1 finale was some good poo poo.

Did Jeremy put on some face chub between seasons or am I imagining things. Also gently caress him and gently caress Chet.

• Locked thread