Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Did Jeremy put on some face chub between seasons or am I imagining things. Also gently caress him and gently caress Chet.

Seems to be a deliberate thing, to show how he's becoming like Chet.

Practically the entire cast came back with new hair, playing slightly different roles. I really liked that, actually.

Umbrella guy is the new Madison.
Madison is the new Rachel.
Rachel is the new Quinn.
Quinn is still Quinn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Did Jeremy put on some face chub between seasons or am I imagining things. Also gently caress him and gently caress Chet.

To be fair to Jeremy (who is now definitely chubby), he did get epically dicked around by Rachel; I can't really blame him for just going 'gently caress it' and doing to her at the wedding what she did to him (even if it was her housemate).

No reason for him to be that much of an rear end to her professionally though.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 10, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
My takeaway after binging the first season a couple weeks ago: Everyone on this show is loving horrible, and I can't stop watching it.

Impressions after season 2 premier: Yup, still can't stop.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Watched the season premiere, Madison rules.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003
This is the first show I've binged watched in a long time, but I just couldn't stop. I don't even like ridiculous dramas but there's just something about it that makes it all work.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Rachel's mother is an unethical monster.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

clown shoes posted:

Every main character on the show is an unethical monster.

fixed that for you.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I just rewatched the entirety of Season 1 with a friend who hadn't seen it tonight and it's still incredible.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Umbrella guy is the new Madison.

Umbrella guy is the same guy that was fired in episode 1 last season. The actor was fantastic in Call me Fitz so I hope he sticks around.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Rachel is heading for some hideous cliff this season.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
That's some A+ upper management decision making there from Gary. Your showrunner comes to tell how two other showrunners are running the show into the ground ? Add a fourth one ! No way this can go horribly wrong.

I hope this new guys realizes the behind the scenes producer drama is pure gold and puts it online where it's a huge success.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/06/20/sarah-gertrude-shapiro-the-savagely-clever-feminist-behind-unreal?mbid=social_facebook

I pretty good article with/about the Shapiro lady who made the show

Best bit is when they describe driving a contestant to suicide in s1 and s2 they do worse. I'm so loving intrigued. Wish I could binge watch this right now.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

CeeJee posted:

I hope this new guys realizes the behind the scenes producer drama is pure gold and puts it online where it's a huge success.

So you want him to make UnREAL? That's a weird direction.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Air is lava! posted:

So you want him to make UnREAL? That's a weird direction.

Haha that would be a great series finale.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

BSam posted:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/06/20/sarah-gertrude-shapiro-the-savagely-clever-feminist-behind-unreal?mbid=social_facebook

I pretty good article with/about the Shapiro lady who made the show

Best bit is when they describe driving a contestant to suicide in s1 and s2 they do worse. I'm so loving intrigued. Wish I could binge watch this right now.

Great article. Got a bit spoilery in the last few paragraphs, but otherwise a very worthwhile read.
Let's see how the Mad Men writer not being on for season 2 will change things.

April
Jul 3, 2006

I'm so loving addicted to this show. But I just keep coming back to: Is Rachel really bipolar or whatever her mother diagnosed her as? Or is the problem that every person around her is a really terrible manipulative sociopath with their own agenda?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

April posted:

I'm so loving addicted to this show. But I just keep coming back to: Is Rachel really bipolar or whatever her mother diagnosed her as? Or is the problem that every person around her is a really terrible manipulative sociopath with their own agenda?

After doing a full rewatch of Season one over the weekend, the biggest thing that stood out to me out of every single episode was the line she says to Mary in Episode 1.

To Mary: “I looked into Lilybelle's eyes and swore I would protect you. I would have to be a sociopath to lie to a 4 year old.”

I thought it was just kind of a wink-and-a-nod throwaway line the first time I watched the show, but hearing it again knowing what happens down the line really seems to point to the fact that Rachel is just as hosed up as everyone else around her, if not more so.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

blue squares posted:

This show is very good, but calling it the Mad Men of Reality TV is an insult to Mad Men. Just because a show is about a workplace doesn't make it Mad Men. And this show jumped the shark a bit in episode 6, though it managed to mostly recover.

I don't think it's just that they're workplace shows, but that they're both selling lies. UnREAL is a lot more cynical about both the characters involved and the product they're selling though, which says something given that they advertised for cigarettes on Mad Men. While that cynicism obviously makes for an interesting show, I think the lack of any real human warmth is probably a limiting factor on how great it can be--it's pretty one note. So yeah, Mad Men is definitely better for that and a number of other reasons, but there is at least a bit of similarity.

April posted:

Rachel's mental illness is probably to be as crazy as the plot needs her to be more than it is any specific thing, even if they have a guideline they're working with in the writing room, but I do think we're unquestionably supposed to view her as being legitimately unwell and unstable on some level. The job obviously makes it worse, because it's unbelievably stressful and pushes her beyond her limits, but her refusal to leave that life that she knows for a fact is personally destructive for her is part of her dysfunction.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
There's SOME warmth on the show, but it's made clear that you can't be good at your job and unsociopathic. Madison declares she wants to be Rachel, but she's a towel-girl for Hot Rachel.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Golden Bee posted:

There's SOME warmth on the show, but it's made clear that you can't be good at your job and unsociopathic. Madison declares she wants to be Rachel, but she's a towel-girl for Hot Rachel.

I have faith in Madison. She'll blow her way to the top eventually.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Madison is starting to get the hang of it. And Quinn is sort of a monster, but we knew that already. And of course the guy who didn't really do anything gets the accommodation for it. And that little stunt might have destroyed Darius's career.

Also post 100 in this thread, I guess.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 21, 2016

April
Jul 3, 2006

Air is lava! posted:

Madison is starting to get the hang of it. And Quinn is sort of a monster, but we knew that already. And of course the guy who didn't really do anything gets the accommodation for it. And that little stunt might have destroyed Darius's career.

Also post 100 in this thread, I guess.

I am terrified for Rachel. Quinn is NOT someone whose bad side you want to be on.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I hope Darius sues the network for 50 million and Rachel, Quinn, Chet and everyone down to the assistant changing the batteries in the walkie talkies end up ruined. That poo poo they pulled with the fake mother crossed some sort of line for me and I just want to see them all fall.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CeeJee posted:

I hope Darius sues the network for 50 million and Rachel, Quinn, Chet and everyone down to the assistant changing the batteries in the walkie talkies end up ruined. That poo poo they pulled with the fake mother crossed some sort of line for me and I just want to see them all fall.

I was surprised that their psychologist went along with that. Confining someone who might actually have a breakdown as a result was pretty extreme too. There was a surprising lack of hand-wringing at basically everything Quinn was up to this episode by anyone.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Goddamn that was a dark episode. :aaa:

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

I recognize how good this show is but I don't think I can keep watching. I guess i'm too soft skinned to watch fictional people be manipulated and destroyed over and over without a second though. I guess that's the point of the show and its so effective in doing so but drat, its hard to watch for me.

Still though, great show, just too effective. I always end the show wondering how much the shenanigans have affected the contestants when they get back home. I can't imagine good things happen for most.

CalvinandHobbes fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 22, 2016

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Sinteres posted:

I was surprised that their psychologist went along with that. Confining someone who might actually have a breakdown as a result was pretty extreme too. There was a surprising lack of hand-wringing at basically everything Quinn was up to this episode by anyone.

That did seem slightly at odds until you remember that she's got her 'healing nook' section - which I think they mentioned again that episode. She's basically been bought off.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Still though, great show, just too effective. I always end the show wondering how much the shenanigans have affected the contestants when they get back home. I can't imagine good things happen for most.

Yeah, have you ever seen any of those blogs by people who were on The Biggest Loser? Humiliating them, ruining their knees. They get benched by the show doctors, and then they're presented as wusses for not doing the challenges. This could eat away at your self-esteem, plus permanent knee damage for life, plus you just get fat again.

There's also a blog about how to survive a reality show that implies that there are cameras EVERYWHERE (bathroom, bedroom) and if you want to have an actual non-filmed conversation with anyone, like another contestant, you have to play the radio, because they are not gonna get the rights to the song so even if they hear your conversation, they can't air it. "Reality."

But falling in love with someone and getting engaged at the end, as a competitive sport, is just weird in itself. I would think if you get back home without having married someone you met on a TV reality show, you should consider yourself having dodged a bullet.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
What the gently caress Quinn? She would incite an armed race war to get her ratings up.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Air is lava! posted:

What the gently caress Quinn? She would incite an armed race war to get her ratings up.

Only murder ratings can beat suicidw ratings. Next season, cannabalism ratings.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Quinn makes Walter White look downright sympathetic. Holy poo poo. :stare:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
What Would Hillary Say?

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Too much Rachel/Quinn/Chet, not enough of the contestants this season. The contestants feel like cliched cardboard cutouts, which is a missed opportunity, IMO.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Next season needs to be about the making of a show like UNreal

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

MiddleOne posted:

Quinn makes Walter White look downright sympathetic. Holy poo poo. :stare:
Yeah it's hard to know who is the protagonist on this show, the leads are all so vicious.

blue squares posted:

It will be called Meta.

MrBuddyLee posted:

Too much Rachel/Quinn/Chet, not enough of the contestants this season. The contestants feel like cliched cardboard cutouts, which is a missed opportunity, IMO.
They tried with the blacktivist but quickly turned her into just another contestant, although maybe we'll get more. There's only so much that can be squeezed into an episode.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Binary Logic posted:

Yeah it's hard to know who is the protagonist on this show, the leads are all so vicious.
This is why I kind of miss Rachel being at least a little (ambiguously) conflicted about the awful poo poo she does. Season 1 you could at least root for her to maybe get better

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
It would be an interesting twist for the gal who didn't have a mother to break her silence and tell the world what actually happened. I don't think we're going to see anything more from her, but drat was that nasty.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Solkanar512 posted:

It would be an interesting twist for the gal who didn't have a mother to break her silence and tell the world what actually happened. I don't think we're going to see anything more from her, but drat was that nasty.

I don't quite buy that some Everlasting viewer wouldn't Internet-Sleuth out that whole thing by the next morning.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

blue squares posted:

It would be all nice and chummy, since show runners finally wont have to destroy lives and can make positive progress for the world. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nobby posted:

I don't quite buy that some Everlasting viewer wouldn't Internet-Sleuth out that whole thing by the next morning.

That's a fair point, actually.

• Locked thread