Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Billmac posted:

I really really wanted to hate this show, but I say to anyone thats on the fence, watch the first episode.
It's good poo poo.

edit: it's roughly the Mad Men of reality TV, but that's not at all the best way to put it. Watch the first episode.

Marti Noxon worked on Mad Men, so this tracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Binary Logic posted:

Yeah it's hard to know who is the protagonist on this show, the leads are all so vicious.
This is why I kind of miss Rachel being at least a little (ambiguously) conflicted about the awful poo poo she does. Season 1 you could at least root for her to maybe get better

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
To be fair, some pretty heinous stories have come out about real shows without hitting their ratings much or at all

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Yeah, and season 2 goes even further off the rails than that. I still enjoy watching the show, but....

Luckily each season of the show is standalone enough that season 1 is still a near-perfect story on its own and there still could be a recovery for season 3.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Calico Heart posted:

I guess what I'm asking is, if what I've seen so far has bothered me, should I abandon ship or is there good stuff if I stay the course?

Like I said, I still enjoy watching the show so I wouldn't actively recommend not watching it

Buuut the stuff you mentioned from the first two episodes is just the tip of the crazy-poo poo iceberg this season

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Calico Heart posted:

Outta morbid curiosity... Can someone summarise what's happened since the second ep and how much worse it got?
Jeremy assaults Rachel and she is saved by Chet
Rachel gets someone shot by the cops in a Black Lives Matter plot that focuses entirely on the show's white characters
They make a contestant poo poo herself and then Quinn has a breakdown because she can't have kids
A bunch of other stuff probably, it's tough to remember because the show has glossed over every plot point it tries to introduce this season

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Sarcopenia posted:

To be fair, the oh so very appropriately named Chad, is a checklist of a reality tv producer's nightmares and dreams.

Bachelor in Paradise is almost like an amazing parody of the bachelor/bachelerette franchise in itself. They take the worst, attention seeking human beings of the past seasons and put them all together with a poo poo ton of booze in their bellies.

Btw is there a reality tv thread anywhere on this forum? Obviously I'm asking for a friend.

Chad was so perfect for reality TV that we were actually convinced he was a paid actor for a while

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Yeah, I guess that answers how essential to the show Marti Noxon was!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I can't get over how the climax of the season ended up revolving around Mary from season 1, rendering all the other crazytown bonkers horseshit that happened this season completely pointless

• Locked thread