Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
gently caress, I gotta find the time to watch that Jason episode, the Mystikal Mike one too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Chris just seems like a whiny bitch at this point. I'm glad Tyler is gone too.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Oliver was cracking me up this episode with his offhanded digs. "wearing a wet paper bag for skin", lmao

I'd call it 'Grandpa Biff makeup' from BTTF2, though

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm amazed that Duffy didn't do a mandala in the nail challenge :monocle:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Oliver was cracking me up this episode with his offhanded digs. "wearing a wet paper bag for skin", lmao

I'd call it 'Grandpa Biff makeup' from BTTF2, though

The face on that tattoo was so, so horrible, it looked like one of those worst-of-the-worst mongoloid embarrassments you get each season from one of the early episode washouts that have no chance at all to win the whole contest. If it comes to an elimination situation where it's between Kruzman and another contestant, and it's super-close, no real difference in quality between the tattoos and this travesty of a face doesn't get brought up when the judges go into the whole "you have to be able to do everything well to be Ink Master" spiel, then I'm gonna be pissed cuz it probably means that he's gonna be in the finale. Especially after he got that completely phony pseudo drama showdown scene with Chris this latest episode where he got to look all noble and heroic standing up for his apprentice and defending his own integrity.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

I feel so bad for the people who have to deal with these crappy portraits. I'm still annoyed over how Erik got sent home and there was clearly more of those shenanigans happening this episode with the judging.

Redemption was interesting; Emily is still a gash and I'm surprised the other dude got so wound up over Bubba's design getting picked over his. Angel seems like a cool dude though.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

they almost always have the most insufferable person win so I'm wondering who between Kruse and Craig get 3rd place

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Oh drat, didn't even realize this was here. Considered making a thread for the new season, but eh, life.

St. Marq screwed himself, he went head-to-head with Chris, and lost because he did his own style instead of color. Two great tattoos, color's going to beat black and gray every time. Too bad Erik left instead of the drama queens, but in fairness, his design was pretty sloppy looking compared to the others.

Doesn't matter too much, seems like the overall top people are going to the finale. My money's on Kruseman being the last eliminated, he's had too many downs.

And yeah, Redemption is great. Emily comes in all nicey nice, talking about how she hates the reputation she got on the show and desperately wants redemption, and then gives the guy a big fat question mark, telling him he has to trust her and whatever design she came up with. Classic.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Emily's a retarded fraud just like Mystical Mike is, to a lesser degree. She has no idea how to make her actions sync up with her preposterous claims, and expects people to note that she has spent untold hours practicing her ugly sneering instead of comprehending that Ellen-level "FIERCE ATTITUDE" does nothing but emphasize her shortcomings as a tattoo artist and human in a social setting.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Kicked Throat posted:

Everyone this season has a signature clothing item, it seems. And yes, Chris made the dumbest choice. Chris, overalls. Craig, bright hoodie, bright shirt. Cruzman, vato plaid. Tyler, striped A shirt with optional hoodie. Erik, muted button up. Mustache boy and his stupid vest. etc etc

I'd be interested in knowing if this comes from wardrobe, or if the people who are dressed like assholes are dressed like assholes from their own wardrobe.

I suspect it must be wardrobe, because I doubt most of these folks could come up with a dozen different yet thematically similarly lovely outfits from their own trolley-cases.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
This season is really really bad. Chris has a total whiny meltdown on the judges, has a tattoo where he draws the bird's wings backwards.....and he still makes it? Is this a new gimmick or something where the judges dogpile and poo poo all over a tat and then just let it go and pick one that was significantly less worse?

This season more than any other is really DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA with some tattooing.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Of course he had a total whiny meltdown at the last minute.

Based on that tattoo, no way Chris was better than Craig. Based on their whole body of work across the competition, sure Chris goes in over Craig.

Surprised Kruseman made it. Betting on Matt to win it all.

Redemption's on. If anybody needs it, it's Kyle, isn't it? Setting him up as the foil to Josh is kind of weird.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Okay, so given a second chance, the judges once more opt to send Craig home versus competition who made literal, apparent anatomy errors, and at the same time are unable to elucidate what is definitively wrong with Craig's technically solid tattoo with excellent black & gray. lmao

He did markedly less quality work this season for who the hell knows why so it's less contentious than S3 but still. rofl they're bad at this

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Am I the only person who hates the drama on Ink Master but loves it on Ink Master Redemption? Somehow it feels more genuine and interesting on Redemption vs the manufactured poo poo drama on Ink Master. Ink Master drama is like they point a camera at sleep deprived artists for 18 hours a day for several months so there's thousands of moments where someone raises their voice or rolls their eyes that can be edited into whatever story line the producers want. But with Redemption, they take the most broken in the head artists and canvases and have less than a day's footage and what seem like actual spur of the moment reactions so the final edited episode feels like the disdain is more real.

The only thing that came close in Ink Master was when Kyle Dunbar went off on Nunez.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Yes 'Redemption' is incalculably funnier and more satisfying that way. No voices hollering or eyebrows raised on 'Ink Master' are ever natural. Those producers sincerely attempted to once build a dramatic storyline out of someone getting snitched on for smoking weed by tattling children

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I was really glad that Joshua was such an rear end on Redemption because that weed thing always made me feel a little bit bad for him. Now I can remember him as he is. An insufferable douche.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Those producers sincerely attempted to once build a dramatic storyline out of someone getting snitched on for smoking weed by tattling children

Yeah but he got kicked off the show for it so it's not like it's an out of left field storyline

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Wasn't the weed thing more that the guys were like "poo poo, I'd like to be able to chill out and smoke too" and saw it as an unfair advantage? It always seemed like half being pissed he managed to do it while they couldn't and half a move to kick off a dude who was really good and was an obstacle.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

That's pretty much what I thought was the overall feeling, too when it came to Josh's departure. I don't know how else it would be considered cheating other than it lowered his anxiety level marginally. This season is annoying because it's quite obvious who they wanted to send to the top 3; why even bother with a "competition" then? I'm hoping Kruseman or Matt takes it, but two judges have a major hardon for that Chris dude so I'm doubtful.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

creationist believer posted:

Am I the only person who hates the drama on Ink Master but loves it on Ink Master Redemption? Somehow it feels more genuine and interesting on Redemption vs the manufactured poo poo drama on Ink Master. Ink Master drama is like they point a camera at sleep deprived artists for 18 hours a day for several months so there's thousands of moments where someone raises their voice or rolls their eyes that can be edited into whatever story line the producers want. But with Redemption, they take the most broken in the head artists and canvases and have less than a day's footage and what seem like actual spur of the moment reactions so the final edited episode feels like the disdain is more real.

The only thing that came close in Ink Master was when Kyle Dunbar went off on Nunez.

Redemption is great because it's all Dave playing therapist/mediator. I hope he continues to host reality shows after Ink Master ends.

Active666
Apr 3, 2009

Epi Lepi posted:

Redemption is great because it's all Dave playing therapist/mediator. I hope he continues to host reality shows after Ink Master ends.

I loved the little smirk this week when Robbie's canvas was saying he wouldn't work with Robbie before Dave took him back. Dave enjoys the drama he is about to drop on them.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
I just started watching Redemption and it's WAY better than the regular show is these days. Yeah, it's more drama but it's somehow more watchable.

Maybe because it's less obviously-manufactured drama?

I dunno. I just got REAL loving tired to jump cuts and voiceovers on Ink Master. Every time someone gets a compliment, they have to cut away to a totally fake "reaction" shot of that artist's made-up rival sneering or shaking their head. Voiceovers are also obviously disconnected from the topic at hand.

Redemption, on the other hand, is people with a genuine dislike for each other. Reality is more interesting than the fake drama I guess.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Thursday Next posted:

Redemption, on the other hand, is people with a genuine dislike for each other. Reality is more interesting than the fake drama I guess.

Couldn't agree more; I really hope this isn't a one off and they plan on doing Redemption as a constant show. That being said, anyone else glad this season ends tonight?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Sarah getting out of that Challenger! :stare:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Yeah, I really hope next season is better because this is pretty easily the worst season of the show yet. It's super obvious they had a plan on who they wanted on and for how long and they desperately tried to bend backwards to kick people off who weren't starting drama.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Season 7 is Ink Master Revenge.

8 new artists compete against returning artists James Vaughn, Sarah Miller, Jesse Smith, Jime Litwalk, Sausage, Matti Hixson, Cleen Rock One, and St. Marq

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
"Ok you guys, I know this season was bad. But remember those better artists from previous seasons? And this guy who didn't get very far in Season 6 but made a lot of drama? Remember?"

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

How do they end up with so many flaky master canvases?

Katie looking ok with moderate makeup.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Hahhahahaa so Matt's 35 hour tattoo is effectively worthless

I love how you can tell he's legit really pissed off, him walking off kinda sealed that

How on earth do you kick someone off before looking at their 35 hour tattoo? This loving season

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

I love how you can tell he's legit really pissed off, him walking off kinda sealed that

How on earth do you kick someone off before looking at their 35 hour tattoo? This loving season

They did it this way last season too, and it really, really sucks. Especially because they leave it up to Twitter and America is not good at judging tattoos.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

detectivemonkey posted:

They did it this way last season too, and it really, really sucks. Especially because they leave it up to Twitter and America is not good at judging tattoos.

You can really tell how angry Matt was. Like him just saying "Yup, sure was a whole lotta work I did. I think it's a really good tattoo, welp seeya"

How on earth is Cruzman still up there? May I remind people he literally said gently caress it to a challenge and refused to do it

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

You can really tell how angry Matt was. Like him just saying "Yup, sure was a whole lotta work I did. I think it's a really good tattoo, welp seeya"

How on earth is Cruzman still up there? May I remind people he literally said gently caress it to a challenge and refused to do it

I really like Kruzeman, but partly because I like that a traditional artist is getting recognized. Also I like when people decide that someone having a dumb tattoo for the rest of their life is worth losing a reality show competition.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

detectivemonkey posted:

I really like Kruzeman, but partly because I like that a traditional artist is getting recognized. Also I like when people decide that someone having a dumb tattoo for the rest of their life is worth losing a reality show competition.

I can understand that, but when they kick people off the rest of the season for not following the rules I was honestly hoping someone called them on it It's really loving lame how he can ignore the entire rules for a challenge and someone else gets them slightly wrong and they get kicked off. It was a really dumb move.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Kruseman's pretty lucky to be in the finale, even without the blown challenge. His piece looks pretty solid though.

This is the first year they've done the live tattoo concept. America always votes somebody into the final two, but I like how the live tat elevates the other person, gives them more of a fighting chance.

One thing that hasn't changed is how they wait until the last 30 minutes to do the canvas reveal and then Dave has to try and hurry everybody up.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
I don't remember how they did the voting in the past because I forget this stuff almost as soon as I watch it, but why even bother with the pretense that votes were based on the live tattoos? They opened the voting before they were even done tattooing.

I know why they brought back St. Marq, but I wish they would have chosen Duffy. I really liked her and they only have one female returning artist. For all I know, she might not even want to come back, but I just can't stand St. Marq.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Better get used to him. He's on the new season and he's already pegged for this Inkoween special they have in a couple week.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I felt really bad for Matt watching that. I feel like at least they got to show their master canvases before the America vote bullshit in other seasons.

Also I don't know how anyone can call this the worst season when Rivals existed. The only good thing about that season was Cleen shooting himself in the foot on his master canvas. Much worse drama with much worst artists in that season.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

OldTennisCourt posted:

lmao that entire beyond awkward segment did such a great job highlighting how worthlessly counterintuitive this subversion of the selection process is. I really enjoyed Matt derailing the entire show with seething, silent emotion while Navarro desperately tried to corral him. The panic they must have felt with the cameras rolling, rofl. Notice how hard they were trying to push that twitter ad redirect traffic by urging votes before the tattoos were even revealed, ahahaha. SOCIAL MEDIA VOTE MAS

As garbage as this all was, I did a fistpump when Kruseman upset Chris. I was drat near certain they were going to default to him, doling out every last prize to the middle-age overalls baby. His piece was really goddamn cool for a traditional, no one has ever dared to cover that much space before on the show.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.
I really didn't think Kruseman had any chance to win this since the judges seemed to be favoring Chris the entire season, but Kruseman's back piece was the only one of the three that I'd actually want on my skin. Glad Chris didn't win. It looked like Matt was happy that Kruseman won. I doubt Matt would have hugged Chris that hard had he won.

Not looking forward to St. Marq again, but interested to see how his obnoxious personality will clash with the new cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
What the gently caress? We don't even get to see Matt's 35-hour tattoo? I came to this thread to see if I missed it by flipping channels. There was so much filler and so many commercials I couldn't stand it.

Not only did they tell you to vote from the beginning of the episode, I'm on the West coast so assumedly it was all decided before we even tuned in. How many votes could there even be do you think? It's a niche type of show, and you'd have to be East coast. A couple hundred?

I liked Kruseman's final work - thank god he pulled off that giant tattoo. Chris was annoying all season, but even on the finale he was overly political about it, saying he got a pretty girl for his canvas "for Dave" and throwing in his wife and children would love it if he won. gently caress you, Chris.

• Locked thread