Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Haha, I've been waiting to see if this thread would ever pop up. I haven't seen this week's episode yet, but I'll watch it sometime this weekend.

X-posting from the tattoo thread:

Katie McGowan is a former coworker of mine. I've met her "master", Matt, a couple times. Nice dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

moerketid posted:

So far this season I'm liking Katie's work. Hoping she does well. She and her "master" seem cool.

They both are (from what little interaction I've had with Matt). Ink Master actually started when we worked together and we'd sit around the shop and make fun of each week's episode. Never thought I'd be watching her on there. She was a good tattooer when we worked together, but she's put in a poo poo load of work and progressed a ton since, so I'm excited to see how she does.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The general public are idiots. This is even more true in regards to tattoos. By being on TV, win or lose, the artists can jack their rates way up because people think, "well, they were almost Ink Master, so they have to be good."

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've watched an artist spend over an hour making sure a stencil was positioned just right. Sure, that wouldn't be realistic when you had some time limit where money was on the line, but still.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Katie was always decent to be around (she left the shop to go work with Matt again a few months after I started), but sources close to me are saying that she has really let her recent "fame" go to her head. Apparently she recently had to be asked to leave a restaurant after she flew off the handle and started screaming at her ex about how she's hot poo poo now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^SA's own new school master, ToastFaceKillah, used white in one of my tattoos, but she used it the "right" way. There are no big patches of it, only highlights and accents. Plus, it's on my thigh, so it doesn't see sunlight and has stayed white really well.

detectivemonkey posted:

Someone said that and I believe it. Best-case scenario it disappears way before the rest of the tattoo.

I'm curious about Matt's claim on the black bib. I know it will fade, but will it fade enough to look normal (long horizontal line on top notwithstanding)? Don used the same excuse last season on one of his tattoos, I remember.

It will lighten up some, but not a huge amount. Some tattooers use the same approach with portraits. They'll do it so it seems a little too dark at first, but, once it heals, it will actually be lighter. This is usually done so that they age better, as opposed to something like a portrait you'd see Kat Von D do that super light and looks picture perfect immediately after being done...but won't last long because all the fine detail is so faint that it disappears rapidly. It's also why you'll have people think their tattoo is "faded" because, after if heals, it's not as WHOA HOLY poo poo THAT LOOKS SUPER BLACK as when it was fresh. All in all, Matt's tattoo will lighten up, but it's still way too dark and I'm surprised as poo poo that he made it through with it.

XIII fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 18, 2015

• Locked thread