Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

savinhill posted:

St Marq was obnoxious in all the right ways, fuckin miss that dude and his hilariously over the top confessionals.

I liked Katie too, she just had a good, chill-seeming personality, plus it was interesting every week whether she was gonna nail a tattoo or not. Chris got some great weird reaction faces too

I didn't mind St. Marq at all, and I'm kind of surprised to see how many people didn't like him. He was one of the best tattoo artists on the show, and he knew it. The fact that they got rid of him ahead of no-talent pokers like Duffy and Tyler is just really loving weird. I mean, those two are just BAD. I'm sure they're lovely people and all, but they are in the wrong industry. I suck at playing the piano; you don't see me out there trying to do it professionally (and getting all buttmad when someone points out that I suck).

I mean, sure, St. Marq was a dick, but he could back it up with real talent. That stained glass tattoo was a loving masterpiece (while fresh) although it probably won't age super-well.

The difference in talent this season seems huge. We're already in episode 11, and there are STILL two tattoo "artists" that should never have made it on to the show. I'm shocked at how BAD some of these people are. I would expect the people on the show to be mediocre - we're not going to see Ed Hardy on this poo poo - but it's pretty breathtaking how poo poo some people are at their chosen profession. Why would you become an artist if you've got no idea what, say, a human thumb looks like?

Katie is cool. I wouldn't wear any of her work on the show, and I don't like her style (either as a tattooist or as her outfits). But she's a rock-solid tattooist. She knows her limits, and works within those limits. She is by no means in the top five artists, but she's always been able to turn out good work in a good style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

I'm working my way through the rivals season and it's just so horrible. Like a train wreck you can't stop watching. It seems like people are more competent in later seasons versus the first and second season where every tattoo was horrible.

The Rivals season was unwatchable.

I like me some lovely television - I keep it on while I'm working on other things - and I couldn't watch that poo poo. I ended up skipping to the end to see the tattoos.

Edit: at least it didn't have "Tatu Baby" on it. gently caress, was she awful. Her chosen moniker makes me cringe in secondary embarrassment, particularly given how mediocre her actual ink was. I'd rather watch Rivals three times in a row than have to suffer through another season of the judges twisting themselves into loving knots trying to justify keeping her around week after jacked-up week. She wasn't chosen as audience favorite because of her work, that's for drat sure.

I guess I just have a serious problem with people who can't let their work speak for itself. If you're a great tattooist, then be a loving great tattooist. Leave the eight inch high heels and stupid facial hair at the door; spend a little less time choosing "wacky" outfits and a little more time learning basic anatomy.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 13, 2015

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

OldTennisCourt posted:

Is anyone else getting really tired of Chris' ~Master Manipulator Alliance Leader~ bullshit? He's a good artist but dude you just have Tyler kissing your rear end because that's all he does, stop acting like you have this intricate plan that no one cares about.

Edit: I...wh...what? How the gently caress do you literally say Chris's tat will look like dogshit in 6 months and Matt's tat looks like a black hole on her neck...and then choose Erik because "He didn't fully follow the challenge" Holy poo poo, that was utterly absurd. I think I might be done with the show this season at this point.

Yeah; he's no master manipulator. He's just a dude who does reasonably decent work and likes to think he's better than he is. I wonder if people like that ever see a drop in business after these sorts of shows?

I'm also done with the series after this season. I really could not care less about the manufactured drama. Showing master tattoo artists critiquing work could be an entire episode and I'd much rather watch that. Like I'd love to learn more about the history behind certain styles, or how various tattoos age, or how different art wears on different skin types.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Not Today Satan posted:

Then you might like Vice's series about tattooing. No drama, just good subject matter. http://www.vice.com/series/tattoo-age

Totally missed Redemption, now I have to see it tonight.

Oh, excellent. Thank you for the recommendation! I'm home sick, so this will be my poison for the day.

Edit: Catching up on Ink Master; watching the throat tattoo episode. It's watchable if you skip forward past the talking head segments.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

I just started watching Redemption and it's WAY better than the regular show is these days. Yeah, it's more drama but it's somehow more watchable.

Maybe because it's less obviously-manufactured drama?

I dunno. I just got REAL loving tired to jump cuts and voiceovers on Ink Master. Every time someone gets a compliment, they have to cut away to a totally fake "reaction" shot of that artist's made-up rival sneering or shaking their head. Voiceovers are also obviously disconnected from the topic at hand.

Redemption, on the other hand, is people with a genuine dislike for each other. Reality is more interesting than the fake drama I guess.

• Locked thread