Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
It’s Frostgrave.

Ash from Guerilla Miniatures has a good take on it in his Rulebook review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

ape!!! posted:

I have so many leftover arms and bits from the two sprues I had. Does anyone know where to get just the bodies for minis? I'm having trouble knowing what to search for. Same with my Frostgrave sprues, (and random Mordheim sprues that a friend gave me) I have enough bits for a handful of minis but no bodies.

You might want to check out "Blue Stuff", and make some molds of the bodies, would only really work for chunky bodies/shields/etc rather than small things with details. I'm still working on something for an ongoing project, to create a bunch of copies of OOP parts for some Warhammer Fantasy Orc Boyz and Goblin Wolfriders. Yet to try out a mixture of milliput and greenstuff as the "filling".

Sci-fi-wise, some places like Anvil Industries sell their torsos and legs separately, which you could stick spare arms and heads on. Both AI and WGA tend to fit GW parts, so should fit each other too.

There was one place on Facebook, who've I've forgotten the name of, who was doing a thing of selling silicon molds that made mostly bodies. They've made them in the style of old Warhammer Fantasy High Elves and Empire Milita/Knights.

Edit: Ah, found 'em, "Scenery Forge". I thought it sounded cool but I live in a small flat and don't want to touch mixing smelly chemicals with a ten-foot pole, tbh.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 17, 2021

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Hi Frostgrave fans. I've mostly played historical games, but our small club recently had a few new members who joined to mainly play Frostgrave, so we're setting out to make them feel welcome by building some terrain and raise some gangs.

One thing that surprised me was the large number of required NPC monsters. Since I both paint quickly and have lots of old crap in my attic, I thought that my main contribution would be to put a dent in the list of NPCs. This weekend I dug through my boxes, and my first victims were pulled out of my old Reaper Bones kickstarter pile of unpainted shame, as well as the untouched copy of Mantic's Dungeon Saga that I also kickstarted without doing anything with it.

My approach is straight on speed painting, as they'll be mooks that'll serve most of their time tucked away in a box. Bones, especially the first generation, are also not always easy to paint to a high level. Washes and rough drybrushing galore!

Skeletons with or without armour seemed common in the lists I found, so I took these first. These are all Bones, with the mummies proxying for zombies until I find some proper ones. I think these are enough for some of the scenarios as well.

More bones, still WIP. A ghoul, a giant beetle, an imp and a giant worm.

And finally some Dungeon Saga minis, a troll and a wraith.

So not bad progress for a weekend of painting. Next game will be in one and a half week, and even though I can't participate due to covid reasons I'll do my best to churn out as many monsters as possible on the random encounter table. I think I'll be able to source maybe 80-90% from my pile of old plastic minis. It's nice to see them being used, and clean up some storage space.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 21, 2021

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Looking good!
I'm just using empty, colored bases until I get a good bestiary going. If that ever happens.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Electric Hobo posted:

Looking good!
I'm just using empty, colored bases until I get a good bestiary going. If that ever happens.

Thanks! I think the guys at the club used just tokens for their games up to now, so even if these minis are not the greatest in the world I think they'll work as a nice upgrade.

This week I had less time for painting, but I think I've gotten through almost half the random encounter list now:

Skeledudes from Reaper Bones, both armoured and unarmoured. I have some more from Dungeon Saga later to make enough for the scenario with 6+ unarmoured skeletons.

More Reaper Bones, the mummies will count as zombies and the walking pile of bones as a construct.

A Mantic wraith and a Bones ghoul. I have three more ghouls to paint to cover the scenario with lots of ghouls.

The troll is from Mantic, and the critters are from Reaper Bones. An imp, a worm and two spiders. Don't tell the beetle he's not a spider, he tries really hard to fit in!

Next up in the pile of unpainted Reaper and Mantic minis are a vampire, a werewolf (actually an undead wererat) and a daemon dog. I found some giants and maybe some more constructs as well.

Oh, and I should get around to make some treasure bases too.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
This last weekend we found ourselves in need of 7 gorillas

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Beerdeer posted:

this post is tremendously interesting without context

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Beerdeer posted:

Make this the thread title, don't even mention frostgrave

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
2nd edition has a mission that starts with one gorilla on the table and each player gets to place two when the opponent picks up a treasure. We had 3 players so there were gorillas everywhere.

And judicious use of Leap, so much fun was had by all.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So, Stargrave beastiary STLs

Make a post here or start a new thread?

For Data Vault scenario, btw:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4830270

Bile Worm:https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3302444
Dedfurd: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/frog-buster
Drone: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/alexiscavalle-2

etc. etc.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 29, 2021

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

My clubmates booked a three player game last weekend, using the Summoning Bell scenario. But we had no bell! So I sat down and threw together a terrain piece using popcicle sticks, cardboard and some XPS foam. It's not perfect, but it's a step forward to getting enough terrain for our board, which is now mess of WW2, feudal Japan and old clunky Warhammer terrain.

I also painted some more monsters and made more treasure tokens to cover these bigger games.

Before paint:

Another mix of Reaper Bones and Mantic Dungeon Saga monsters.

My favourite is this undead rat ogre that we'll use as a werewolf:

More pics on the blog:
https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/fantasy--sci-fi/summoning-bell-for-frostgrave

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
cross postin my latest frostgrave soldier

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Played Stargrave today. Loved it.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Jonny Nox posted:

So, Stargrave beastiary STLs

Make a post here or start a new thread?

For Data Vault scenario, btw:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4830270

Bile Worm:https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3302444
Dedfurd: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/frog-buster
Drone: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/alexiscavalle-2

etc. etc.

Are you going to make a separate thread?

I did run into these kickstarters:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/star-schlock-astros/star-schlock-astroguards-miniatures/posts - About a crew's worth of metal mini's, in an intentionally 80's style.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/59400193/neo-gothic-heavy-infantry-sci-fi-miniatures?ref=recommendation-projectpage-footer-4 For grimdark lovers.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Beerdeer posted:

Played Stargrave today. Loved it.

Did they flesh our ranged combat any more as I assume it's a bigger part of it?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
There are a few more modifiers. Soldiers in general feel more competent. It’s still very much Frostgrave with guns but I love Frostgrave, so

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
cross post

Nebalebadingdong posted:

another frostgrave soldier

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

That shield is amazing! :)

My club is at it again, this Sunday they plan to play the scenario with the step pyramid and the random golden statue. I looked at what I had at home, and decided to assemble some scrap XPS foam into a pyramid shape. Since the foam had such irregular shapes I had to go over it with clay to fix it, and it ended up being a lot more difficult than I thought. Lesson learned: thin layers of clay crack. Thick layers of clay cracks A LOT.

I didn't want it to be just a plain pyramid, so it ended up looking more like some kind of ziggurat or temple. After the first coat of cheap acrylic paint, I just could not get over how delicious it looks!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that shield looks really good!

I also painted some dudes to add to my basic warband. An apothecary, a crowmaster and crow, and a barbarian that I 3d printed.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I don’t think there is a separate thread so I’ll post here about Rangers of Shadow Deep. I bought it ages ago but never played. I finally got around to playing the first scenario this weekend to see if I like it. I do! It’s basic but full of opportunity to add your own flavour. And you get that rpg progression hit.

The reason I decided to try it is that there is a Kickstarter of terrain and other bits that would be good for this. It may also be good for frost grave too. Dungeons and lasers 3. Modular hard plastic terrain with filler bits and minis chucked in. It look like pr3tty good value and I’m in for the basic village pledge.

Not touting but this thread may be interested. We can’t all be liljonas making our terrain from scratch like a boss!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/archonstudio/dungeons-and-lasers-third-edition

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Beffer posted:

We can’t all be liljonas making our terrain from scratch like a boss!

Who summoned me?

Anyway, this weekend I managed to finish the step pyramid well in time before my clubmates set out to battle on Sunday. It was a blast, and I just slapped on all kinds of static grass, flock, tufts and foliage I could muster. The end result is a spooky step pyramid/temple that I hope will be useful even for other scenarios, as it offers more variation in cover etc. than just a play pyramid.

The drat thing won't fit in my photo box!

The golden statue smites and heals with her two swords

I even managed to get some time over to paint up some more mooks to fill the NPC roster:

A step by step (*drumroll*) on how I did the temple/pyramid is on the blog, with more pics:

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/fantasy--sci-fi/step-pyramid-temple-frostgrave-continued

Now I'm mulling over the options for next encounter. A well might be something simple and easy to build, right?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's some pretty everything!

With everyone being vaccinated and non-person gaming back on the table (:haw:) we're looking at doing Rangers of Shadow Deep with a Castlevania aesthetic.

Building up the monster library has been fun, and last night I made 20 giant flies for cheap:

It's a $1 bag of Halloween / prank flies, skewered on a hot nail (use pliers to hold it in a candle flame), then super glued to a coin. Can't wait to paint & base them! They're also weighted like weebles and won't fall over.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Does anyone have any house rules for damage that make it a bit less wildly swingy?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Cassa posted:

Does anyone have any house rules for damage that make it a bit less wildly swingy?

The swinginess is a feature, according to the author. There are meant to be times where an Infantryman slays a Knight in one roll.

Rogue Stars has a similar issue regarding it's use of the d20, and it's been suggested to reduce the d20 to one of those funny dice between a D12 and a d20 (a d14, maybe) and double the bonuses given by circumstances. That's still "swingy", but not wildly so.

The author has mentioned elsewhere that you'd need to rebuild the magic system if you were to change to a 2d10-based system.

I've yet to play the game enough to get a feel for the rules and math to make some sort of "Frostgrave: 2d10 edition".

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

LashLightning posted:

The swinginess is a feature, according to the author. There are meant to be times where an Infantryman slays a Knight in one roll.

Frostgrave is intended to have high lethality and a fairly rapid turnover in minions. This is the author's stated answer to the runaway power creep issues in other (for which read GW) campaign skirmish games.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

...which is hilarious as after the first game, winning warbands run away from losing ones in terms of gold, potions, and XP. If you lost the first two games in a campaign, your best options tended to be either dropping or restarting.

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

I played Frostgrave and have started playing Stargrave this week. While it's the same swinginess, Stargrave seems to be trying to incentivize grabbing the loot over murdering everyone. I'm going by memory, but i think you get like 10xp per kill for a maximum of 40xp. If you wipe out your opponents crew, you don't get all of the remaining loot automatically, rather there's some kind of roll off post game. Compare that to Frostgrave where I think your wizard is like 150xp and you can ignore the loot, kill everyone and get the loot.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I think second edition Frostgrave includes changes to how experience is earned to encourage getting the loot - you get less/limited experience for killing. This is introduced in one of the supplements for first edition, but put into the game proper with second edition.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

In V1, EXP heavily incentivized you to kill the other wizard, with your own wizard if possible, to maximize EXP gain.
In V2, You don't get any EXP from Warband kills at all, everything is spell or treasure-based. The only exception is killing uncontrolled creatures.

IN V2, when one player is without models, the game ends. The other player gets all the treasures they're carrying and they get to roll to secure the remaining ones on the board, nabbing them with a 15+.

The emphasis in the rules seems to have been balanced to encourage treasure collection.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Crossposting from the sculpting thread, I've been working on my duck Frostgrave group. I've finished sculpts for most basic soldiers now, though I need more archers and crossbowmen. But the Barbarian really makes this group pop!

Sculpting was slowed down by work and picking up a whole bunch of old Orcs & Goblins second hand, but I've had some progress and if I dare say it myself, some of my favourite results this far:

This magnificient barbarian warrior is huge! Almost human size! :O

This billduck also got the last touches.

A thug duck, staring down the next victim of its big club. This pose come up by coincidence, but I really like it.

Two thieves. I need these to be able to play Frostgrave with this gang of adventuring ducks, but I'm not sure I really hit the spot with these sculpts. I might try some more ideas for more thief sculpts.

Finally some WIPs, including a wizard, a crossbowduck and an archer.

And here are the finished sculpts so far ranked up:

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
Hot dam those are amazing

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

the moose posted:

Hot dam those are amazing

Thanks! I’ll finally be able to play Frostgrave next week, due to vaccine, but now I want to see if I can get them casted first before I paint any of them up. I think they’ll make a great warband, working on a more sorceror style wizard too.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Those are really cool :) It'll be a fun and unique warband.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Those are drat good ducks. You should be proud.

Why ducks though? Are you a Glorantha/King of Dragon Pass fan?

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
So I’m falling (have fallen?) deep into the RoSD hole.

After owning the pdf book since release I finally played a game using minis from Descent and War of the Ring. Since then I’ve bought two boxes of Northstar minis, ordered individual minis from various places to make up my band and made some terrain for the first time in my life. Oh, and I hit a terrain Kickstarter thing too.

Please send help.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Helical Nightmares posted:

Those are drat good ducks. You should be proud.

Why ducks though? Are you a Glorantha/King of Dragon Pass fan?

Thanks!

As for ducks, it's a long story. Basically, Dungeons and Dragons was never more than a tiny blip on the radar here in Sweden. Instead, a small company called Äventyrsspel were the pioneers here and got into RPGs in the early 80's. They wanted to do a game in Swedish to reach the younger market. Instead of doing the ruleset from scratch, they licensed the Basic Roleplaying rules, which in turn are based on Runequest. "Drakar och Demoner" was released in the 80's and exploded in popularity around 1990, basically being THE roleplaying game in Sweden, similar to how Dungeons & Dragons were in the US. Despite the similar names, Drakar och Demoner is largely Runequest in a new setting.

While Drakar och Demoner made their own unique setting (Ereb Altor, later adding Chronopia and Trudvagn), they transfered a lot of the Runequest stuff together with the rules, including the ducks from Glorantha. Growing up as a roleplayer in the 90's, I have almost zero nostalgia for stuff like the Forgotten Realms etc. compared to the adventures of the Copper Sea and Trakorien in Ereb Altor, where ducks played a significant role as pirates and merchants.

Needless to say, I feel a bit sad that 99% of generic fantasy miniatures borrow more from the Dungeons and Dragons tropes than the Runequest tropes of my childhood. So I wanted to add a little bit of my own roleplaying youth to the world of miniatures. I wanted to add a little bit of ducks. Silly ducks in chainmail.

That said, since they draw from the same well, the artwork from Glorantha and King of Dragon Pass is really useful for me when doing these. You could say that I'm looking for inspiration in a mix of Glorantha, Drakar och Demoner and Carl Barks. The KoDP event where the ducks warn you about zombies might be one of the trigger points for this project starting at all, given the large number of necromancers our club seems to produce for Frostgrave right now.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 26, 2021

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

It seems I'll get my first Frostgrave game in tonight, so the week was spent finishing up a group of halflings and also painting up a whole bunch of much needed terrain. Lately there's been enough players for two Frostgrave tables (or even three), so that means new terrain is always needed.

This Games Workshop walls and fences is really nice, and was both fun and quick to paint up.

A blast from the past:

Halfings mages from TTcombat:

Converted Wargames Atlantic soldiers:

NPC rats have ended up killing a whole bunch of soldiers in the games until now, but we didn't have minis for them. I got these from Ral Partha Europe, and saw it suitable to give them some... trophies.

More pics on the blog
https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/fantasy--sci-fi/halflings-and-walls-for-frostgrave

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Beffer posted:

So I’m falling (have fallen?) deep into the RoSD hole.

After owning the pdf book since release I finally played a game using minis from Descent and War of the Ring. Since then I’ve bought two boxes of Northstar minis, ordered individual minis from various places to make up my band and made some terrain for the first time in my life. Oh, and I hit a terrain Kickstarter thing too.

Please send help.

Just make sure you are prepared to be stomped by a rat rolling 20 and you losing a combat where you had +6 fight due to companions and buffs due to rolling a 1 versus an 18.

It is fun, but it is swingy

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm looking to get into FG/SG, does anyone have any suggestions for STLs to print out a warband?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I don't do 3D Printing myself, but you could check out Thingiverse or maybe Desktophero.