Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Nam Taf posted:

ZFS and jails are life and using FreeBSD gives me a stratospheric sort of elitism that alludes those Linux simpletons for the most part.

i run a hardenedbsd server and two debian servers, how superior am i?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

PlesantDilemma posted:

I could never figure out the ports system on *BSD. Apt-get keeps me on Linux.

it's so easy though

code:
portsnap fetch extract
cd /usr/ports/$group/$port
make install clean
:confused:

it's even easier if you install ports-mgmt/portmaster; with portmaster you can install multiple ports at once and do all the configuration before you even start building them as opposed to configuring a dependency -> building the dependency -> configuring the next dependency -> building that dependency etc

Nam Taf posted:

Pkg is going to blow your mind

pkg is great but building from ports instead of using precompiled binaries can be advantageous in some scenarios

i don't need every single module that nginx ships with for example (support for webdav, mp4/flv etc) so it's nice to be able to just build in what i need as opposed to literally everything

RISCy Business fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 31, 2015

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

I use OS X, op. It's good because it's the world's most advanced desktop operating system and also a BSD I'm told.

xnu is a child of the mach and 4.3bsd kernels, yes

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

wooger posted:

You conveniently leave out the interstitial steps:
code:
wait multiple hours if you're compiling something big, or something with big dependencies
get a confusing error message 2 hours in, that breaks the install
It's also an absolute nightmare if you're a new user and haven't learned that using a port for anything means that you can't use binary pkgs, and vice versa - unless you want to risk version dependency errors.

Pkg on FreeBSD suffers from the binary packages only being re-compiled once every 2 weeks or so, which means it's always out of date with the ports tree. It's not clear why they can't just re-compile every time a port is updated.

Debian has it's flaws, but being able to install a whole list of software in a few seconds with one command was a revelation 10 years ago, and pkg on FreeBSD still isn't close.
apt-get has only broken a couple of times in a decade for me.

since i don't use freebsd on desktops or anything, i've never had to compile anything overly large like Xorg or firefox/chrome which suits me just fine

as a server OS for basically anything, freebsd is absolutely rock solid; yes, it has a learning curve, but once you master it, it's an extremely powerful OS

• Locked thread