Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

SF EXCEED is also I think permanently OOP, probably because of the collaboration with ArcSys. First season is not worth getting (and also the art and balance in the JASCO season is loving trash), 2nd Season is hard to find.
I think my favourite season is the Shovel Knight one just because it's so creative and the gimmicks have been completely unmoored from having to stick close to 2D fighter design. I don't think there's quite anything like Tinker Knight available out there, and the design are both creative and fun to play. Would recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Oh wait, the guilty gear game is More Exceed?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Tekopo posted:

SF EXCEED is also I think permanently OOP, probably because of the collaboration with ArcSys. First season is not worth getting (and also the art and balance in the JASCO season is loving trash), 2nd Season is hard to find.
I think my favourite season is the Shovel Knight one just because it's so creative and the gimmicks have been completely unmoored from having to stick close to 2D fighter design. I don't think there's quite anything like Tinker Knight available out there, and the design are both creative and fun to play. Would recommend it.

shovel knight also has the best playmats

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Impermanent posted:

shovel knight also has the best playmats
Ehhhh, I'm not really a fan of how it's just a piece of artwork under the template. It means one person is looking at it upside down.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014

jivjov posted:

Oh wait, the guilty gear game is More Exceed?

It is indeed. Season mechanic is "Cancel"ing certain boosts into another action by spending a gauge.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I wonder when Balanced Breakfast is gonna have Strive characters (if it doesn't already). Would be interested in a strive-only tournament if people are interested. Or hell, trying to do the BattleCON tournaments up and running again.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
poo poo okay I gotta start paying attention now. Fingers crossed for Brisket

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

jivjov posted:

poo poo okay I gotta start paying attention now. Fingers crossed for Brisket

Not likely. They've not got the latest season's characters in there and this is probably a one and done like the rest of the licenced releases. It's still a great selection of characters though.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Tekopo posted:

SF EXCEED is also I think permanently OOP, probably because of the collaboration with ArcSys.

Which is a real shame. Got a friend who I think would love exceed and is a huge Street Fighter fan.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, and the SF season was a real showcase of how well level 99 was able to port characters from an existing franchise and be able to get the feel to be correct for them.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

L99 confirmed the licence has expired. A friend of mine is trying to source the Ryu box and is getting nowhere. He's ending up printing off the cards I think.

I have no sympathy for him because I bought and gifted him the two boxes he does have, as it made sense with the shipping at the time when I wanted to complete my collection, and he's just taken way too long to get his arse in gear.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
And they had a big sale not that long ago - which is why I own any Exceed at all and in fact all of the Shovel Knight and SF seasons since that was what was on sale. But yeah. Pretty steep sale. I guess in the latter case because it was going away.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, after the Guilty Gear Strive board game was announced, I wound up going on Amazon and ordering the two Shovel Knight boxes plus the Specter Knight and Enchantress solo fighters through them. Didn't have the original solo Shovel Knight, but it is what it is.

I actually took my Shovel Knight Exceed decks and some of my Street Fighter ones (the entire Ryu box plus Chun Li, Dan, Ken and Cammy) to Friday Night Magic tonight and showed it off, got a lot of positive response from the people there. Played one round against the store owner (him on Treasure Knight vs. me on Tinker Knight; he ended up barely squeaking out a win against me), and then later ended up playing two rounds of Street Fighter against one of the guys from my Commander pod that I was in (he played both games as Ken, I did the first one as Dan, second one as Cammy; I won both those games, though the guy did better in the second round once he had a better grasp of the mechanics). The guy I played Street Fighter against ended up bookmarking the Guilty Gear kickstarter page for when that goes live, and was really bummed that the Street Fighter sets were no longer available anywhere, but figured if worst came to worst, he could always just get a card list and proxy them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Anyone interested in playing some EXCEED or BattleCON in the next couple of days? Really interested in trying out the GG stuff especially. Should be free tonight (UK time) if anyone is up for it and wants to try out stuff.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Tekopo posted:

Anyone interested in playing some EXCEED or BattleCON in the next couple of days? Really interested in trying out the GG stuff especially. Should be free tonight (UK time) if anyone is up for it and wants to try out stuff.

Is EXCEED on Tabletop Simulator?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yep. It's unofficial but complete.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

And also includes the GG stuff.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
There are official mods also, just the linked one is the best mod.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Me and Lichtenstein are gonna be trying out some of the GG EXCEED stuff this Thursday, probably evening time EU (around 6-ish pm BST/1 pm EST), if anyone is interested in giving it a whirl.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well finally gave it a try, and it was a lot of fun. I think some of the base rule changes that have been applied specifically to GG really help to drive the flavour and I'm interested to see how it is balanced versus the previous seasons. First of all, in terms of general mechanisms, GG as a season is (I feel) a lot more strike oriented. Although this was partially due to the characters we played, there are some rule changes that really drive this.

First of all, the normal attacks for GG characters are different from all of the other reasons. Although the attack part is exactly the same, the boosts are different for some of the cards. As well as that, some of the boosts are cancelable, which means that you can spend 1 gauge to basically take another action (which can be a strike). So, as long as you have gauge and are willing to spend it, setting up a boost and striking is a lot easier for GG characters. This really heightens the tempo of the game in the few games I played.

I played the following characters:

Potemkin: Big, lumbering, has a lot of similarities to the other grappler archetypes in the game (Gabrek, Zangief etc). Still, some of the GG mechanisms and his boosts do make him feel different from the other ones I tried, so I was suitably impressed that they got the right feel for him. His passive (and EXCEED) is that get gets more damage and armour if he initiates at range one, so getting close is key, which makes sense for the archetype.

Nagoriyuki: This character is where I really started to feel the game, and was pleased at how differently they managed to make each character feel. To represent the blood mechanism, if Nago plays a special during a strike, he draws 4 cards and discards 2 (even if he misses). This can make him a quite oppressive pressure character because he never needs to sit and wait to replenish his hand. The issue is that if he ever reshuffles his deck (either forced or because he spends an action to do it), he immediately Exceeds, and now he cannot play special cards at all (although ultras are still fair game), his normals have +1 power and if the played a normal, he loses 2 non-lethal life. Now, this isn't an exact replica of the blood mechanism, but I feel the approximation is very flavourful. Really enjoyed playing him.

Faust: Faust is interesting for two reasons: a lot of his boosts are unique, and his passive is an action that allows him to topdeck boosts and then immediately strike. I think this did a good job of representing the random nature of items for Faust, and did incentivize me enough to go for the random top-deck option if I wanted to attack and didn't want to gauge cancel a boost. A lot of fun to play.

May: May felt a lot more standard than most other characters I tried (well, apart from Potemkin but at least he's a defined archetype). Totsugeki is a pretty good attack though! Her passive is that she can spend force to gain power when she initiates a strike. EXCEEDing with her is also relatively resource neutral because it draws cards and allows you to strike, so she can be pretty powerful on the attack as long as you keep pressuring your opponent. Overall I enjoyed playing her but she didn't have the same wild spark that I enjoyed with the other characters I tried.

I also faced (or saw) the following characters:

Goldlewis: A real pressure machine. Although his passive at the start of the game is a hand size of 9 and drawing two extra cards at the start, when he exceeds, all his specials (and he has 8 specials, where most characters only have 5!) draw two cards on hit. This makes him a pressure machine, and he can just keep on going and going while your opponent runs out of juice. As well as that, he has a nasty range 2 mixup thanks to all of the options that he has with the various different Behemoth Typhoons. I faced him twice as Potemkin: game 1 he kept me out of range and just destroyed me, game 2 I managed to get close as Pot and wrecked him. Seems like a lot of fun though.

Testament: Didn't see much of them but their passive is that their normals push/pull 1 on hit, and in exceed also draw 1. That along with some good range options means that they can zone people out and keep them there. Seemed like a lot of fun.

Giovanna: She seemed alright and seemed to be focused on pressure as she can draw 1 if hitting when she initiates a strike, with the EXCEED version allowing her to do the same if she spends gauge to draw 2 and get +1 damage. Seemed like another flavour of a close-range rushdown character.

Happy Chaos: Happy chaos is very interesting: he only has two different specials, but a lot of low-cost ultimates. Some of those ultimates force you to seal them after they fire, and he can also seal ultimates from hand to gain damage and advantage. His EXCEED is actually a strike that is played face up, which allows him to put all his sealed cards back in his deck as well as draw cards if he hits. A very interesting way to try to model the bullets that he has, since he will steadily run out of ultimates unless he EXCEEDs and gets them back (or uses a boost/attack that allows him to retrieve sealed cards).

Overall I was very impressed and had a lot of fun.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've put up a thread for an EXCEED GG:Strive tournament with a small prize, all players welcome! Check it out!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Anybody interested in an early collection of Exceed S1-4ish to Include Skull Man? Looking to downsize collection

Also maybe a huge collection of Battlecon v4, but that is less likely unless you can pick up in St Louis.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Oh hey, didn't realize there was a Level 99 thread, and apparently quite an old one too. I've been getting really into Bullet Heart lately - picked up the game a while ago cause it looked interesting, eventually got around to playing it and was hooked, then started delving deeper into the game via this excellent automated TTS mod with every expansion (including, as of now, two yet-to-be-released expansions) and a bunch of fanmade characters. Most of the time I play 1v1 against a boss, I think it works better as a solo game than a multiplayer one really.

I enjoyed it enough to make a little pocket-sized version I can carry around to play on lunch breaks. All the components are represented by tokens and fit on the board, while the patterns are written on the notebook so I can reference them. It's not all that much clunkier to play than the regular physical game, and certainly hits the table a lot more often since it's quicker to set up and put away.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

djfooboo posted:

Anybody interested in an early collection of Exceed S1-4ish to Include Skull Man? Looking to downsize collection

Also maybe a huge collection of Battlecon v4, but that is less likely unless you can pick up in St Louis.

In the interest of public accountibility: Sionak has bought my Exceed stuff. BCon remains.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
I was reading through the thread lately and there was some mentions of a Seventh Cross full game. I checked the Level 99 Discord - it seems like that's indefinitely postponed? The idea sounded really interesting.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Sionak posted:

I was reading through the thread lately and there was some mentions of a Seventh Cross full game. I checked the Level 99 Discord - it seems like that's indefinitely postponed? The idea sounded really interesting.

It went on hold a long time ago. Seems unlikely it will ever see the light of day at this point.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Dang. That's what I thought was most likely but hoped was not the case.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
They apparently couldn't manage to make it fun, so on the shelf it went.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I’m sad they never released the digital version of Pixel Tactics. They had a beta running for a long time that they were demoing on YouTube and it just never got finished I guess.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

JazzFlight posted:

I’m sad they never released the digital version of Pixel Tactics. They had a beta running for a long time that they were demoing on YouTube and it just never got finished I guess.

I thought that after some kinda hiatus they revived that initial progress and are still working towards a release? Pixel Tactics Online is listed as "coming soon" on Steam. Could be wrong.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

After the abject failure of BCO I’d be surprised if they try any more digital endeavour.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Don't let nazis hang around your games, kids.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

LaSquida posted:

Don't let nazis hang around your games, kids.
No, you see, if someone starts talking about unhinged nazi poo poo out of the blue in DMs, it’s fine because he didn’t do it in the official discord.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

What does any of that mean

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Thirsty Dog posted:

What does any of that mean

Around five years ago, Level 99 Games put out BattleCON Online, which was... well, BattleCON but in a shinier wrapper than you'd get if you were playing it in Tabletop Sim. It had a small community at first, as you'd expect from the video game adaptation of a niche fighting board game, and you pretty much needed to go into the discord and ask if anyone wanted to play to get a match because that's just how matchmaking works with communities that size. The problem is that some of the people in that initial chunk were loving nazis, and then the old adage about nazis and bars came to pass. The bigots weren't banned because they didn't actively break the Discord rules, but were lovely enough to drive away everyone who wasn't a nazi and the only people coming in were the nazis' friends and the BattleCON Online community became a complete trashfire no one wanted to touch. Now, the game is basically dead and if you want to play online you just use TTS or Tabletopia.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Level 99 has extremely bad moderation policies when it comes to bad actors. It killed BattleCON online because they weren't able to police their own official discord and it split the community between people that didn't want to interact with a known racist nazi and those that didn't mind having one around.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Huh, I never knew that, and I played a bit of BCO during beta. Probably just as well I never really paid attention to that discord.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Huh, I don't recall ever hearing about this going down, though I only hear about these games from goons anyway. Was it chronicled anywhere? It'd be neat to have receipts as evidence in future for when weasels in the trad gaming space try the tired "freeze peach absolutist" claptrap.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I have the receipts cause the nazi DMed me, specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
L99's leadership is very very committed to the idea of "games are not political and our discord is a politics free zone" (cause Brad's a middle aged presumably cishet white guy)

Their moderation of their community spaces is weak because to do otherwise would be the take a stand for something which is not something they feel like doing