Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.48
May 1, 2007
“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

“There are plenty of good reasons for fighting...but no good reason to ever hate without reservation, to imagine that God Almighty hates with you, too. Where's evil? It's that large part of every man that wants to hate without limit, that wants to hate with God on its side. It's that part of every man that finds all kinds of ugliness so attractive....it's that part of an imbecile that punishes and vilifies and makes war gladly.”

“You hate America, don't you?', 'That would be as silly as loving it,' I said. 'It's impossible for me to get emotional about it, because real estate doesn't interest me. It's no doubt a great flaw in my personality, but I can't think in terms of boundaries. Those imaginary lines are as unreal to me as elves and pixies. I can't believe that they mark the end or the beginning of anything of real concern to a human soul. Virtues and vices, pleasures and pains cross boundaries at will.”

Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut

All these quotes make Mother Night my favorite Vonnegut novel. For those who haven't read it, I highly recommend it! The main protagonist is an American spy who was embedded in the Nazi propaganda department during WWII (dont worry that is not a spoiler). The general themes are of whether ends can truly justify means, the questionable morality of doing "the right thing", and the very flimsy distinction between patriotism and nationalism. These are ideas that I agree with heartily as someone who grew up without a country to call home, but are much harder to accept for people who identify strongly with a particular country or place.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread